• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey all. Author here, looking for an experienced person to pick their brain

HerOdyssey

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
Oregon
Writing a book, yes, a girly book, but I want to get the information right regarding sniper rifles, distance (realistic), proper equipment, wording, etc. Since weapons are not even remotely my area of expertise, I thought I would trawl for someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to marksmanship and other firearms. I will gladly credit whomever it is that is willing to share their wisdom with me, in my acknowledgments--with name and proper titling, etc, and even the forum as needed. I can also offer help with writing and editing in return as well if those are your interests too. Please ping me if you have a bit of time and knowledge to share. I'll run concepts by you and you can rip it apart and help me rebuild it so it sounds proper, and contains sufficient badassery to encapsulate Jack's (slightly) murderous character.

Muchas Thanks.

Steph

Reactions: SniperBro
Is the whole snipering thing going to be a big part of your book and a big story driving part or is it more like just a single scene that you don't want to make look stupid?

If it's like a single scene then lots of folks on here can help you correct your scene, you could even post it and ask for comments.

If the whole snipering thing is a big part of your story then I would suggest for a start, you spend the $20 and upgrade to the supporter account and spend the month watching every video that Frank has posted in the online training, that will give you a very good basis in how things work.

Not today fed

shhh123.gif

Not today fed
The fear runs deep in you young grasshopper.
Not the first time I've seen you jump to this same conclusion.
Watch out for shadows.....I could be hiding in one of them, but rest easy, you'd never see me.

I highly doubt a fed would come across with a full explanation of what they are needing and ask nicely for it.
Expect subtle deception, especially if poorly done.
Feds are just people, granted people with nefarious intent, but people none the less.
Nothing the OP requested could possibly be twisted to implicate you.....unless you are stupid enough to implicate yourself.
And that....well.....from what I've seen.....would be par for the course.

Watch out for shadows.....I could be hiding in one of them, but rest easy, you'd never see me.

I highly doubt a fed would come across with a full explanation of what they are needing and ask nicely for it.
Feds are just people, granted people with nefarious intent, but people none the less.
Nothing the OP requested could possibly be twisted to implicate you.....unless you are stupid enough to implicate yourself.
So this guys a fed too.

That actually explains a lot.

Should post this in the bear pit. lol

Maybe interview lowlight.

The bear pit should make you sign a waiver before entering.
But if looking for characters it is full of them.

Too bad AJ is gone. lol

Of the 3 snipers I have met they would most likely rather discuss last nites baseball game than work.

I think you should give a synopsis of what your book is about.

Because to some of our more cautious members this could look like an attempt at getting members of the firearms community to say things that could be taken out of context and twisted for mal-intent.

Not you of course but someone could potentially try that so please excuse the skepticism.

My longest shot was around 7km.

What do you want to know?

I've also shot WAYYY more people with some version of carbine than I have a 'sniper' rifle. So there is that.

P.S. - No one calls it a sniper rifle. It's right up there with people calling nightvision 'NODS' giving me the indicator that they have no fucking idea about anything.

Also, what does your ghille suit look like?

At 7 K you could have worn your Hawaiian shirt.

Not today fed

Writing a book, yes, a girly book, but I want to get the information right regarding sniper rifles, distance (realistic), proper equipment, wording, etc. Since weapons are not even remotely my area of expertise, I thought I would trawl for someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to marksmanship and other firearms. I will gladly credit whomever it is that is willing to share their wisdom with me, in my acknowledgments--with name and proper titling, etc, and even the forum as needed. I can also offer help with writing and editing in return as well if those are your interests too. Please ping me if you have a bit of time and knowledge to share. I'll run concepts by you and you can rip it apart and help me rebuild it so it sounds proper, and contains sufficient badassery to encapsulate Jack's (slightly) murderous character.

Muchas Thanks.

Steph
Try your local VFW...and donate some of your wealth and time while there.

Is the whole snipering thing going to be a big part of your book and a big story driving part or is it more like just a single scene that you don't want to make look stupid?

If it's like a single scene then lots of folks on here can help you correct your scene, you could even post it and ask for comments.

If the whole snipering thing is a big part of your story then I would suggest for a start, you spend the $20 and upgrade to the supporter account and spend the month watching every video that Frank has posted in the online training, that will give you a very good basis in how things work.
It's actually a few scenes I need help with. A couple with snipering, and a few other 'techniques' where my character (who does wet-work) operates a variety of 'tools' per say to accomplish his contracted work. I want it to be realistic and gritty. Personally, I hate books that brush on various subjects that are not properly explored by the author. Especially in areas I'm very knowledgeable about. It will really ruin a book for me. So I'm looking for that experienced voice, that is male, because the character is male, to help me get it right. I'd rather work with someone one-on-one rather than have my shit torn to pieces by a bunch of voracious beasties. Sorry, but that's just who I am. Don't make me cry. LOL

I think you should give a synopsis of what your book is about.

Because to some of our more cautious members this could look like an attempt at getting members of the firearms community to say things that could be taken out of context and twisted for mal-intent.

Not you of course but someone could potentially try that so please excuse the skepticism.
Well, it is a girly book. Meaning it's my first endeavor into contemporary romance. I usually do weird fantasy/jane-austeny type things, or high-fantasy, and contemporary themes sort of freak me out, so I'm writing out of my comfort zone.

My books have never really been primarily about romance, and I prefer things to be a bit darker and grittier than the books with the shirtless, oiled-up, flexing meatballs on the cover, but there has been romance as a secondary theme. Usually with a likeable villain.

In this book, Jack is a wet-work contractor (who often does government work on the DL). He's REALLY good. Not like that Canadian who shot someone from like miles away, but GOOD. I need to create a good background for him. Where he came from, where he trained. What are his areas of expertise. I would like him to have a variety of skillsets. He's of SE Asian descent, a tall guy. He's muscular but as Lyla describes it; "Broad of shoulder and extremely well built. He was muscular, but not in a gym-lifting meatball, can barely wipe his own ass kind of way, but more like a sinewy, ropey soldier, with thick, defined arms which were seemingly heavily tattooed, as there was artwork bristling out from underneath the long sleeve of his Henley, and a few lines and figures tracing up his neck."

He spots Lyla in his scope when he's on a job in chapter 1, and just falls for her in his weird way. Every other chapter will 'feature' one of his jobs, and the chapters will be named after his victim. What the reader won't know is that some of the victims are from another character named Ashleigh, who is a dangerous dbag and who is obsessed with Lyla. I want them both to be sort of questionable until the end of the book, both dangerous AF, but have Jack turning out to be the first-lead who gets the girl. I don't want to get too detailed, because you'll all start spontaneously vomiting from the girliness of it all.

Anyway... Hopefully this description will make me less feddy to some of you folks. I'd rather find a person to work with whom I can properly credit for it, and whom I can trust with pieces of the manuscript. I'd really like someone to help me find a voice for Jack. And help me create a good background for him. I will also credit this forum, because you guys all jumped in so kindly. Some folks have sent me convos, and that's perfect. You can also email me by plugging a gmail after my username.

Thank you all for your responses so far! I'm stoked that there are people out there willing to engage.

Steph

What is the political bent of your target audience?
Explain that & your more likely to get help or not depending.
This target audience is women who like romances with complex, skilled and yes... hot men. No political needed. Just lots of gratuitous murder and a slow-burn romance.

It's actually a few scenes I need help with. A couple with snipering, and a few other 'techniques' where my character (who does wet-work) operates a variety of 'tools' per say to accomplish his contracted work. I want it to be realistic and gritty. Personally, I hate books that brush on various subjects that are not properly explored by the author. Especially in areas I'm very knowledgeable about. It will really ruin a book for me. So I'm looking for that experienced voice, that is male, because the character is male, to help me get it right. I'd rather work with someone one-on-one rather than have my shit torn to pieces by a bunch of voracious beasties. Sorry, but that's just who I am. Don't make me cry. LOL

What specific tools?

Target rifles for human type targets?
Target rifles for material type targets?
Designated Marksman style rifles?
Carbines?
Pistols?
Explosives?

Depending on exactly what you want, there are plenty of folks that have been there / done that on the site here.
However you'll probably need to be fairly specific on what you want and such.

Are you looking for how the weapons in question mechanically operate and can be carried, deployed / utilized etc.?
Are you looking for more fieldcraft type information?

Is this in a military and special forces setting?

If your book is all about some glamours hitman / contract killer / spy that goes around the world killing folks, then a lot of it is going to be kind of imagination and fiction based rather than real life based on how the world normally works.

If what you are mostly interested in is the mechanical side and such, while folks could help you, there is nothing better than going somewhere and getting a bit of hands or or first hand look, especially learning first hand how things operate.

For example, in the book series I'm writing, several of the characters use more unique weapons from time to time, some of which have operating characteristics or design choices, that are not common but anyone that has ever used one would know right away which specific weapon that is.

• Wow
Reactions: HerOdyssey
What specific tools?

Target rifles for human type targets?
Target rifles for material type targets?
Designated Marksman style rifles?
Carbines?
Pistols?
Explosives?

Depending on exactly what you want, there are plenty of folks that have been there / done that on the site here.
However you'll probably need to be fairly specific on what you want and such.

Are you looking for how the weapons in question mechanically operate and can be carried, deployed / utilized etc.?
Are you looking for more fieldcraft type information?

Is this in a military and special forces setting?

If your book is all about some glamours hitman / contract killer / spy that goes around the world killing folks, then a lot of it is going to be kind of imagination and fiction based rather than real life based on how the world normally works.

If what you are mostly interested in is the mechanical side and such, while folks could help you, there is nothing better than going somewhere and getting a bit of hands or or first hand look, especially learning first hand how things operate.

For example, in the book series I'm writing, several of the characters use more unique weapons from time to time, some of which have operating characteristics or design choices, that are not common but anyone that has ever used one would know right away which specific weapon that is.
I think my head just exploded.
Let's see... Human targets
NO IDEA about the proper equipment. That's why I'm here.
Yes on pistols too, for other jobs.
Not sure about explosives. Seems a little rash for my character. He's a quieter worker.
I imagine he did come from a military bg, but he's now contracting because he's so good.
The book isn't really glamourizing it, it's more like making it a little darker and grittier, and showing some fictional underworld where the US govt and other people hire people like Jack to achieve their own ends.
I don't want James Bond. I want a rugged, slightly hermit of a guy doing what is ultimately a J.O.B, which incidentally uses a deadly skillset to do.
I need a good, believable, suitable background for Jack.
I need a good explanation of the tools he will need to do his work. Realistically.
I want him to be a fictional wet-worker with a believable story and accurate equipment and capabilities.
I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're writing.

The reason I'm here is because I do general online research and the information is just all over the place. Use 50 caliber, don't use 50 cal, Bipods? Sandbags, yes yes, no no. Don't call it a sniper rifle. Call it a sniper rifle. There are a lot of sources and there is a lot of information. I just need one guy, who is experienced in this, to help me frame out who Jack is, where he trained, and what he uses, not just for snipering the shit out of people, but also getting up close and personal with a garrot or a pistol. I've only got a few kill scenes so far, but I need to make more.

So I guess in essence, I need a Jack to come along and talk to me. LOL!

I think my head just exploded.
Let's see... Human targets
NO IDEA about the proper equipment. That's why I'm here.
Yes on pistols too, for other jobs.
Not sure about explosives. Seems a little rash for my character. He's a quieter worker.
I imagine he did come from a military bg, but he's now contracting because he's so good.
The book isn't really glamourizing it, it's more like making it a little darker and grittier, and showing some fictional underworld where the US govt and other people hire people like Jack to achieve their own ends.
I don't want James Bond. I want a rugged, slightly hermit of a guy doing what is ultimately a J.O.B, which incidentally uses a deadly skillset to do.
I need a good, believable, suitable background for Jack.
I need a good explanation of the tools he will need to do his work. Realistically.
I want him to be a fictional wet-worker with a believable story and accurate equipment and capabilities.
I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're writing.
Are you published? If so, a link please to your book(s). This would take a lot of the "he must be a Fed" stuff out of the equation.

And, IMO, please stop with cliches like "wet work". He a fucking contract killer.

Are you published? If so, a link please to your book(s). This would take a lot of the "he must be a Fed" stuff out of the equation.

And, IMO, please stop with cliches like "wet work". He a fucking contract killer.
Well, I don't have any experience with what is what when it comes to terminologies. I go by what I read. I will take note. I might have to make some universal changes in my manuscript. Yes, I'm published. I publish under the name Miranda Mayer. Although since this is not my usual genre. My stuff is on Amazon.

Reactions: Baron23
Well, I don't have any experience with what is what when it comes to terminologies. I go by what I read. I will take note. I might have to make some universal changes in my manuscript. Yes, I'm published. I publish under the name Miranda Mayer. Although since this is not my usual genre. My stuff is on Amazon.
Thanks Miranda....and now I know you are a woman...we have some on here but it does get to be a bit testosterone thick here on the Hide from time to time! haha

And indeed, there are books published by Miranda Mayer seemingly in the genre you describe. And cute doggy...is that a beagle?

As for "wet work"....let me be a bit more polite....I would suggest avoiding those types of cliches although I'm not sure that the target audience would view them as we would here. "Snippering" is indeed another one in this category.

Best of luck.

• Haha
Thanks Miranda....and now I know you are a woman...we have some on here but it does get to be a bit testosterone thick here on the Hide from time to time! haha

And indeed, there are books published by Miranda Mayer seemingly in the genre you describe. And cute doggy...is that a beagle?

As for "wet work"....let me be a bit more polite....I would suggest avoiding those types of cliches although I'm not sure that the target audience would view them as we would here. "Snippering" is indeed another one in this category.

Best of luck.
No need to worry about the politeness thing. I've worked with men almost exclusively my whole life, and my language would probably make a longshoreman blush. So no worries. I also have a sort of weird way of minimizing serious things by adding Y at the end. He's a little murdery, stabby, for example, or ING, where I would say like: Oh, look, there's Ken over there, douchebagging around. I do that a lot in casual convo, and I tend to write casually when I'm out and about annoying people on the internet for information. When I write, unless it's something coming out of character's mouth, I am pretty formal actually. I'm actually having a tough time sounding more casual, because the series I've been writing for the last few years is in the tone of Jane Austen, so it's pretty formal-sounding, with lots of the passive voice, UK English style of the 1800s.

As for testosterone-thick, this is what Jack NEEDS. I am not testosterone thick. I like to dress up in 1800 gowns and wear bonnets and sip tea. So I need to find someone who has a background that would align a bit with Jack. Maybe military, what branch, I dunno. Someone who has experienced combat, someone who has had to act as a sniper even. Someone who is willing to dig into that tough stuff and help me frame up a character so he's not just a shallow, vapid, walking killing machine with nice abs and expert seduction skills, which is something I hate when I'm reading.

The dog is a Jack Russell named Flower, she is sadly no longer of this earth. We now have two new ones, who are obnoxious and bitey as JRTs do.

You stand corrected old timer. “Miranda” is a fed, and sounds hideous.

You should go on a journey to the mountains of Ukraine and say to the old man at the roads head "Take me to the one they call Theis." There, and only there, you will find the wisdom you seek.

Maybe military, what branch, I dunno. Someone who has experienced combat, someone who has had to act as a sniper even.
Well, there are people on this forum who are former the real deal former snipers, door kickers, etc (and some that still serve in LE and MIL) and many who did the job in combat. Whether they will want to talk about it is another story entirely.

I just read a book called By Honor Bound about two Navy SEALs in V.N. who won the medal of honor and it describes the missions thru which they won that honor (remember the movie, Bat 21...yeah, but in reality and not Hollywooded up) and includes a lot of their first hand, direct, narrative. Not a braggadocios or chest thumping word comes out of either of their mouths.

I was USAF (yeah, three hots and a cot every day...screw those foxholes! haha) so I'm no help to you at all...but even there the guys who did the real deal in V.N. (I was in a fighter squadron) never, ever, bragged about it. If you ever got them drunk enough and they trusted you enough, they would speak of doing the job in spite of abject terror of being shot at.

I think that's going to be your challenge in getting one/some of them to participate with you. Its just not the sort of thing to talk about much, in my experience...well, unless you are a wannabe.

Best of luck.

The reason I'm here is because I do general online research and the information is just all over the place. Use 50 caliber, don't use 50 cal, Bipods? Sandbags, yes yes, no no. Don't call it a sniper rifle. Call it a sniper rifle. There are a lot of sources and there is a lot of information. I just need one guy, who is experienced in this, to help me frame out who Jack is, where he trained, and what he uses, not just for snipering the shit out of people, but also getting up close and personal with a garrot or a pistol. I've only got a few kill scenes so far, but I need to make more.

So I guess in essence, I need a Jack to come along and talk to me. LOL!

He should kill some people with a #2 pencil.

Wait, no. That was John Wick. Sorry.

How about killing someone while eating. He can use a tactical spork for the weapon.

BTW, your idea of seeing her for the first time through the rifle scope screams of poor muzzle control.

• Haha
Real contractor killers don’t get there because they are especially good at it. There are many here that could legitimately claim the high ground skill wise but they are too smart to go down that road very far. A long term contractor is a flawed character with charisma, training that was almost accidental, and talent, that didn’t get past his adolescent fucking up routine. Really a prime candidate for some lonely hottie to fix with her hot body, great experience, and wistful desire to relive the innocence and freedom of her early 20’s. Effective sniping is a bit of a dead giveaway of real skill or unrealistic risk. Either way, easy to get caught.

Given what you say your character does, most likely they would be using pistols for most of their jobs.
For other jobs, they would probably be using a compact bolt action rifle that may or may not come apart.

Based on how you want the physical attributes of your character to come out, I would suggest you might want to watch the Japanese anime series Golgo 13.

The story is far-fetched and their depiction of weapons is clearly from someone that never used one or was ever around them, BUT is a decent example as far as the whole fictional physical attributes and dark moody personality and all that stuff, which would fit well in the context of what would sell well to the normal romance novel type buyers.

The reason I suggest that, is because actual real life folks in shades of that type of stuff are usually not the kind of people that the romance novel readers would swoon over, hence some fictional suggestions to look up.

I might suggest that having them see the person through their scope and like fall in love with them is a bit iffy given what you normally see through a scope and how you would be using one. It might be more realistic if they saw the person through their high end binoculars that they were using while carefully scanning for some other target to appear etc.

Reactions: Emerson0311
I would just watch the movie Shooter.....then grit it up to meet your needs and story line

The moral darkness between need, want,
and service to county is something a lot of people could not grasp.

It's akin to a hunter going from First kill to full tags, then trophies and maybe ending up with cull / management kills as a personal trophy saving the good stuff for the younger shooters.

Figure out how to demonstrate you are not a liberal fag trying to ride on the back of stand up citizens and get back with us.

Muchas Thanks.

Steph
If the information is for a "girly" book, as you've stated, why not simply google some general info which is widely available & keep the story line simple & straight forward in alignment with the intended readership.
A whole lot of detail about what a sniper rifle can do will be lost on the vast majority of the readers.