• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey Axeman and other Savage shooters

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I finally got around to mounting my new scope on my Savage 10 FCP with the Choate stock.
I started getting ready to mount the bipod and installed the adapter that goes in the slot under the forearm. It just slid in, but I can't figure out what is supposed to keep it from sliding back and forth. The adapter doesn't have any holes in it for a screw, and there isn't anything I can find in the slot to wedge it in place.
Is it supposed to slide freely? It seems like it needs to be in a fixed position to keep from changing during shooting and messing up what little accuracy I am capable of.

Jim

Re: Hey Axeman and other Savage shooters

I am not sure about the new Tactical stocks, but the older Choate's had a wing type screw that threaded into the slide adapter.

If it isn't there, it should be an easy enough fix. Just drill and tap a hole in the adapter, and add a set screw or a wing type screw. I personally would opt for the winged screw for ease of adjustability.

DK

sorry, clueless about the choate stuff. but i was thinking the same as everybody else

I installed the bipod and it seems to snug up against the stock, but it seems like it would be better if I could tighten the adapter.
This adapter is pretty small- maybe 1.5"-2" long, smooth on bottom and top except where the stud is. The sides fir the slot in the rail- other than that nothing. There is no place for a set screw.
Savage advertises this as a quick detach bipod adapter. Maybe it isn't supposed to be in a fixed position. They say it is so I can quickly switch between long and short bipods, or remove it to shoot from sandbags.

Jim

The new Choate tactical style stocks don't have a set screw in the bipod adapter as far as I know, unless it's just yours and mine. LOL.

Everything tightens up when you tighten down the bipod. The do not have a set screw. Called Combat Stocks when I received mine and verified it.

It will work fine. A little tip I noticed with mine, I was getting vertical stringing and I slid the adapter back a little (I think it wound up an inch in front of the scope). That made all the difference in the world.

Good luck man!

mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything tightens up when you tighten down the bipod. The do not have a set screw. Called Combat Stocks when I received mine and verified it.

It will work fine. A little tip I noticed with mine, I was getting vertical stringing and I slid the adapter back a little (I think it wound up an inch in front of the scope). That made all the difference in the world.

Good luck man!

mike </div></div>

How far back from the end of the stock is yours?

Jim

I don't have the stock any more but I had a 6-9" non swivel. I'll look to see if I can find a pic of it when I had it with the bipod installed.

If you can't- no problem. I can just shoot and see what happens. I may move it away from the end just in case.

Jim

O.K., I looked at a few pics and I had the bi-pod stud lined up with the studs on the side. That way I could remember where to put it back if I ever took it off.

Mike

It holds itself there from the friction of the bipod thumbscrew. So long as the thumbscrew stays tight it will stay put. I had the same stock. I ended up loctiting the thumbscrew to keep it from jarring loose. However, if you're handy with a drill and tap I'd setscrew the bitch...

I just sighted my 10fcp in Choate this weekend. I went looking at bipods and wanted to verify that it shouldn't have a set screw since the instructional manual states that it should (yes...I read it). The pleasant lady said Savage didn't want the wingnut. That mount is designed specifically for the harris bipod and will snug up against the stock once the bipod is mounted.

They also sell them for $15.

Mine snugged up good and tight too. Since they advertise that piece being a QD bipod mount I expected something else

How did your's group? I only managed a short range trip with mine, but it is dead-nuts accurate with BH 175gr ammo. My SMKs will be here Friday so I can start to see what it, and I, can do.

Jim

I don't know why they began selling the free moving adapters, I don't see the benefit.

No worry, buy the locking model from midway for about 10 bucks.

I never thought to try the free sliding one to see if it would lock in place when the bipod is tightened.

I have the same set-up and noticed that the bi-pod will tighten down, however it will move easily (rotate) as the Choate forearm is flat and the Harris is designed to cradle a rounded forearm. I spent several hours on a Bridgeport mill making a simple aluminum piece that fits between the stock and the bi-pod with a hole in the middle that allows that stud to be accessed. The back side has a full length (2.5") tang that fits the rail groove closely (that is what keeps the bi-pod from rotating) the bi-pod side is rounded to fit the Harris configuration. Snugs up tight and is easily adjustable fore and aft. I also drilled 4 small (.045") holes in the Harris thumbwheel for safety wire anchoring. I'd post pictures, but this forum seems to makes it much harder than the others I visit to post pictures (whats up with this PhotoBucket thing ??).

Yeah, you have to photobucket the pic and then get the link to add it. No biggie really unless you're constantly loading pics.

I'm gonna snaga a harris today hopefully.