• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey retro guys, help me out RE; Colt 723/XM177

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I know its a 'transitional' gun, but from what I have read, the XM177 is the 'Commando' version of basically the 723.

If that is true, would the 723 and the Xm177 share the same upper receiver? Or did the 723 have the C7 receivers; or are they the same thing?

This is what really confuses me.

The XM177 was the Colt Model 610, which came out way before the Colt 723 in 1966 along with the Colt 609 (AKA the XM177E1). The XM177E1 was partially replaced by the Colt 629 (AKA the XM177E2) in 1967. The 723 came out in the 1980s unless I'm mistaken.

The Colt 723 does not have the same upper receiver as the Vietnam-era XM177 carbines. Those were the same as the M16A1 with the forward assist (or the regular M16 without the forward assist, for the Air Force carbines) and simple carry-handle sight, with no brass deflector. The 723 had the A1 style rear sight, forward assist, and the brass deflector, so they're more-or-less the same as a Canadian C7-style upper. There were also at least two different barrel profiles, either a plain unstepped A1-pencil barrel on earlier production or a stepped M4-style barrel on later production carbines.

Colt Model 610 (XM177):
    1591491114043.png

Colt Model 609 (XM177E1):
    1591491178524.png

Colt Model 629 (XM177E2):
    1591491216676.png

Colt Model 723 (Early Model):
    1591491260535.png

Colt Model 723 (Late Model):
    1591491286639.png

(Pics from the IMFDB)

I know its a 'transitional' gun, but from what I have read, the XM177 is the 'Commando' version of basically the 723.

If that is true, would the 723 and the Xm177 share the same upper receiver? Or did the 723 have the C7 receivers; or are they the same thing?

This is what really confuses me.
    I thought the true XM 177 guns were designated something like 609 and 610. And the was one tested with a four position selector.

And there might have been a 649?

The 723 might me the 1980s version when they started with a2 sights and a case deflector.

But I only know of 600-series guns being in the xm-177 family. But I could be all wrong. There are so many variants now, it’s worse than Mausers!!

Cheers, Sirhr

PS And while I was typing, Dorn hit it out of the park!

Reactions: RTH1800
    The XM177 was the Colt Model 610, which came out way before the Colt 723 in 1966 along with the Colt 609 (AKA the XM177E1). The XM177E1 was partially replaced by the Colt 629 (AKA the XM177E2) in 1967. The 723 came out in the 1980s unless I'm mistaken.

The Colt 723 does not have the same upper receiver as the Vietnam-era XM177 carbines. Those were the same as the M16A1 with the forward assist (or the regular M16 without the forward assist, for the Air Force carbines) and simple carry-handle sight, with no brass deflector. The 723 had the A1 style rear sight, forward assist, and the brass deflector, so they're more-or-less the same as a Canadian C7-style upper. There were also at least two different barrel profiles, either a plain unstepped A1-pencil barrel on earlier production or a stepped M4-style barrel on later production carbines.

Colt Model 610 (XM177):
    View attachment 7345120

Colt Model 609 (XM177E1):
    View attachment 7345122

Colt Model 629 (XM177E2):
    View attachment 7345123

Colt Model 723 (Early Model):
    View attachment 7345126

Colt Model 723 (Late Model):
    View attachment 7345128

(Pics from the IMFDB)

Ok, so that answers that.

Is there a good source for just a 723 receiver?

Was going to try and make a Gary Gordon carbine but use a 12.5 barrel instead.

Ok, so that answers that.

Is there a good source for just a 723 receiver?

Was going to try and make a Gary Gordon carbine but use a 12.5 barrel instead.
    Brownells has one:

I'm not sure who makes them. Last I thought, the Brownells retro stuff was made by NoDak Spud with Brownells branding, but the 723 upper isn't a NoDak Spud product AFAIK.

Brownells has one:

I'm not sure who makes them. Last I thought, the Brownells retro stuff was made by NoDak Spud with Brownells branding, but the 723 upper isn't a NoDak Spud product AFAIK.

Those have had shit reviews. I was trying to stay away from them.

But basically, any C7 upper receiver is correct?

Those have had shit reviews. I was trying to stay away from them.

But basically, any C7 upper receiver is correct?
    Ah my bad, I didn't check the reviews. Shoulda done but they didn't work on my phone when I was looking (or on my computer until I turned off my ad blockers. Geez, fellas, how can you go wrong with an AR-15 upper?). But yeah, any C7 (or M16A1E1 as some call it, try searching that one too) style upper ought to be OK.

Gunbroker has this parts set, if you're interested: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870209600

By the by, a "Gary Gordon" carbine with a 12.5" barrel would technically be a Colt 733 (which is what Nikolaj Coster-Waldau used playing Gordon in Black Hawk Down; his had an A2 upper), which never had a fixed setup and could be found variously with A1, A1E1/C7, or A2 uppers; A1 or A2 lowers; A1 or A2 barrel profiles; early aluminum or later plastic stocks; and sometimes with the XM177-style moderator with or without a grenade ring. You could have a field day mixing and matching every single combination of the 733 if you wanted to!

The IMFDB Black Hawk Down page for some pretty good pics: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Black_Hawk_Down

I wanted the 12.5 pencil barrel version for this because the suppressor with the Ops Inc brake/collar would be flush with the front site post. The only thing with that I'm 'cheating' on a bit is that there's no way to find the old style lock ring rear mount for the suppressor, so I'd use the same variant the Mk12 uses.

Point me in the direction of an upper receiver or barreled upper you'd suggest for this. This time frame with Colt parts makes my eyes glaze over with all of the random shit they had going on.

I wanted the 12.5 pencil barrel version for this because the suppressor with the Ops Inc brake/collar would be flush with the front site post. The only thing with that I'm 'cheating' on a bit is that there's no way to find the old style lock ring rear mount for the suppressor, so I'd use the same variant the Mk12 uses.

Point me in the direction of an upper receiver or barreled upper you'd suggest for this. This time frame with Colt parts makes my eyes glaze over with all of the random shit they had going on.
    Broad strokes, what time frame do you want? Late 1980s/early 1990s? If that's the case, I'd say the easiest would be an A2 or A1 upper. NoDak Spud's A1s are what I have on my retro ARs. A2s can be found all over the place. But if you like the C7 style upper, go for it!

There's this one (comes without the M4 ramp, too. This is a C7-style upper like what you're after): https://www.luth-ar.com/product/a1-stripped-upper-receiver-w-m4-feed-ramp/

Broad strokes, what time frame do you want? Late 1980s/early 1990s? If that's the case, I'd say the easiest would be an A2 or A1 upper. NoDak Spud's A1s are what I have on my retro ARs. A2s can be found all over the place. But if you like the C7 style upper, go for it!

There's this one (comes without the M4 ramp, too. This is a C7-style upper like what you're after): https://www.luth-ar.com/product/a1-stripped-upper-receiver-w-m4-feed-ramp/

90s.

What would be more correct; a government or pencil barrel?

90s.

What would be more correct; a government or pencil barrel?
    Hard to say because both were used. But I'd lean toward the gov't barrel in the 1990s, and if you're gonna use the same suppressor attachment method that the Mk 12 SPR has, I think you'd want to go with a gov't barrel for best fit anyway.

The XM177 uses a unique flash suppressor sometimes called a flash or sound moderator for its 10-inch (250 mm) barrel. This device is 4.2 inches (110 mm) long and was designed primarily at the request of the US military's MAC V SOG as a method to confuse the Viet Cong and NVA, as the moderator makes the weapon sound more like the AK and AKM rifles in use by the Viet Cong and NVA. This device reduces flash signature somewhat and alters the weapons sound signature, making the normally louder short barreled carbine sound like a AK/ AKM.

The Model 610 was classified as the XM177[1] but adopted by the Air Force as the GAU-5/A Submachine Gun (GAU = Gun, Aircraft, fully-assembled Unit). The Army purchased 2,815 Model 609 CAR-15 Commandos on June 28, 1966, which were officially designated Submachine Gun, 5.56 mm, XM177E1.[1] As part of the contract, Colt was supposed to supply each XM177E1 with seven 30-round magazines, but Colt was unable to build a reliable 30-round curved magazine that would fit in the M16 magazine well, so most XM177E1s were shipped with 20-round magazines. The exception was 5th Special Forces Group, who received a total of four early 30-round magazines. Colt completed delivery of the purchased XM177E1s in March 1967.

In 1967, in response to field testing, Colt lengthened the Commando's barrel from 10 to 11.5 inches (254 to 292 mm). The increased length reduced noise and muzzle flash, and allowed fitting of the Colt XM148 grenade launcher. A metal boss was added to the moderator for mounting of the XM148 and rifle grenades.[2] The chambers were chrome-plated. The Commandos with the longer barrels were called the Model 629 and Model 649. The Model 629 Commando has a forward assist; the Model 649 Commando does not.

In April 1967, the Army purchased 510 Colt 629 Commandos for use by troops assigned to the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG), and designated them XM177E2.[1] Delivery was completed by the end of September 1967. The Air Force adopted a similar model without the forward assist feature as the GAU-5A/A. Sources debate whether or not this was a Colt Model 630 or 649.[1] According to John Plaster and other sources, the lack of 30-round magazines continued to be problematic and SOG operators resorted to pooling their personal resources and purchasing the larger capacity magazines on the civilian U.S. market.[3] Problems with range, accuracy, barrel fouling, and usage of tracer bullets continued to plague the XM177 series, but Colt estimated that it would take a six-month $400,000 program to do a complete ballistic and kinematic study. There were also recommendations for a 29-month $635,000 research and development program. Both recommendations were declined by the U.S. military as American ground force involvement in the Vietnam War was gradually winding down. Production of the CAR-15 Commando ended in 1970.

It is rumored that the People's Army of Vietnam's M-18 was designed based on XM177 carbines seized from dead or wounded American and South Vietnamese soldiers in the Vietnam War.[4][5] They were first seen in public in 2010,[6] made by Z111 Factory.[7]

I have a ATF legal replica of the XM177E1. The original military flash/moderator is an NFA item as it reduces the sound sufficiently to allow AFT to require a transfer, so mine does not have the original style muzzle device. My impression of this gun is it is LOUD as HELL and the cyclic rate is such that initially I have frequent jams. I have changed the buffer to a much heavier one to slow the cyclic ate and now it functions without jams. My wife weighed only 100 pounds and could not shoot it in auto mode as to walked her backward.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bluedog82

You don’t want the pencil barrel. We make 12.5” Gordon barrels with custom Allen collars. Not 100% true to the design, but that is in the works. Takes a lot of time to design suppressors, barrels, collars. Most find our 12.5” setup to fill the bill

The Blackhawk Down movie is a shitty reference. Those visually-modified carbines were built by a British movie prop guns house from whatever they had in England. Some were specifically chopped 20-inch "A2" rifles. If you look at the butt stocks you can see a lot of horrible quality shit cobbled together specifically for the movie-goer to see Deltoids had carbines as opposed to Rangers with full-length muskets. It's also why you see so many "Delta" variants -- the prop guns had to be built for the film.

Young Captain sinister at Fort Bragg with a 1984-1994 Army Colt 723 (lower receiver marked "M16A2 Carbine" but with "AUTO" vice "Burst" configuration). Brass deflector hump, A1 rear sight. No "M4 ramps" because M4 didn't exist. Barrel machined for mounting an M203 (made popular by the Israelis, later standard on all M4s). AN/PAQ-4 and 3-cell Maglite with IR flip cover.

Those with suppressors had an OPSINC made by Crazy Phil Seeberger.

sinister_1998_jpg-2042593.JPG

Last edited:
    Wow. I was hoping to learn something here but now I just feel really dumb. All I’ve learned is that colt is a pain in the ass.

The Blackhawk Down movie is a shitty reference. Those visually-modified carbines were built by a British movie prop guns house from whatever they had in England. Some were specifically chopped 20-inch "A2" rifles. If you look at the butt stocks you can see a lot of horrible quality shit cobbled together specifically for the movie-goer to see Deltoids had carbines as opposed to Rangers with full-length muskets. It's also why you see so many "Delta" variants -- the prop guns had to be built for the film.

Young Captain sinister at Fort Bragg with a 1984-1994 Army Colt 723 (lower receiver marked "M16A2 Carbine" but with "AUTO" vice "Burst" configuration). Brass deflector hump, A1 rear sight. No "M4 ramps" because M4 didn't exist. Barrel machined for mounting an M203 (made popular by the Israelis, later standard on all M4s). AN/PAQ-4 and 3-cell Maglite with IR flip cover.

Those with suppressors had an OPSINC made by Crazy Phil Seeberger.

sinister_1998_jpg-2042593.JPG

Holy shit. What did that thing weigh :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: sinister
    So this site is legit? On another thread some guy shared and it looked shady AF too me
    I’ve seen shark shared quite a few times. Seems to be the go to place for clone builders. And they don’t only accept payment in gold/blood diamonds so should be g2g

There were 2 different lengths of moderators. There was a short moderator, 609?, then the 177 was longer by about 1" (?). I would have to pull them out to measure. There was also a model 639 that was rumored to be for a contract to the Shah of Iran. He fell before the order was delivered. A bunch of these guns were sold through Areo Marine in Birmingham. I have records on 30-50 of these.

If you look at the pic of the 629, there is a second piece to that moderator. It is a small ring that goes on the barrel before you screw the moderator on. It is a grenade ring.

The original XM guns sold to the public had the moderators with them. ATF retroactively classified the moderator as a suppressor and the owners were tracked down and they could register it or destroy it. There were a bunch of original moderators that were thrown away because no one wanted to pay the $200 tax on the moderator. Most of the originals are marked "ATF XXXX" as a serial number.

Several years ago, Colt found(HA!) a bunch of the original moderators on a shelf somewhere. They marked them with newer style Colt engraved marking and registered them as suppressors. A dealer in PA had a bunch of them. He may still have some. If you have an original XM gun with no moderator, thats your only option for an original. Even though it is not marked the same.

Grenade ring and how the M203 mounts to the XM177E2:

CAR-15-203.jpg

Griffin XM Linear Comp -- same dimensions as NFA item, but one baffle and NOT noise suppressing. Sadly discontinued:

Griffin-XMLC-2.jpg

Inside:

XM inside.jpg

On a mid-length NFA SBR ("XM177E1-ish"):

xm-177 Mid.jpg

Pinned and welded on a recent non-NFA 13.7 mid-length build:

DSC02025_JPG-2229242.JPG

Last edited:
    This is a non US Prop marked 619. It is marked COMMANDO. I have only seen 1 other in a photo.
    This came out of a PD in Louisiana.
    Many of the XM's have barrels that are toast.

Attachments

• Colt619g.jpg
      Colt619g.jpg
      164.8 KB · Views: 1,167
    • CommandoCan.jpg
      CommandoCan.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 162
    Found this upper a while back when planning to start a 633 project build.

Any idea on the forge codes? Searching seems to return either "Diemaco Kaiser" or Bushmaster. Definitely not the styled D from Diemaco M4 uppers.

Good luck finding an upper receiver. I buy them as soon as I see them if they are under $300. Nodak Spud is out of business as of Dec 23 2021. Talked to them two days ago.
    NDS is moving and getting rebranded as H&R, no?

Nodak was bought out by PSA and operations are being moved to SC.

WdcWUYB.png

• Love
    There were several 723 variants with the main common parts being the Fiberlite stock and 1/7 twist pipe to shoot M855.

The uppers, lowers, and barrels varied on year and unit spare parts replacement schedule, with JSOC being the ones who went through barrels about every 2 weeks, quickly burning through the pencil weight pipes and onto the barrels commonly used on the 727 and M4.

Early 723 with an “A1” upper:

Ai4gHNgh.jpg

Mid series variant with the C7 hybrid upper:

zx7dk3gh.jpg

Later series with the 727 or M4 barrel:

MNAxm6H.jpg

Then the very unique and varied “JSOCMOD" 723s:

Q1L0toZ.jpg

In NAVSOF and other USASOC units, there were quite a few 727s around before the transition to the M4A1:

C6sfuUl.jpg

Of all this generation of Colt Carbines, the JSOCMOD samples stick out as the most desired and interesting to me. The 12” aluminum free float jobs with FSP cut and little rail sections for the PAQ-4, modified A2 VFG with integrated push buttons for IR and WPL, sleeved suppressor, scope rail, early Aimpoint, Delta Cheek Piece, Lone Star Ordnance pistol grip, and shark tooth buttpad zip-tied onto the Fiberlite stock really sells itself if you’ve ever seen one.

There were a lot of Redi-Mags installed as well, in addition to Sniper Sections using Harris bipods. If you take the one on the left in the pic with the Little Bird in the background, imagine a suppressor emerging from under the handguard, which happens to be one of the early OD green modified ArmaLite Inc. tubes if I recall correctly.

They were a bit of a pain for the armorers to replace barrels because of the need to remove the FSB through holes cut in the tubes. The lessons from those types of handguards went into the KAC MRE that effectively replaced them. There were old Bushmaster V-MATCH 12” knurled aluminum tubes set up this way as well, but good luck finding a pic of one.

Here’s a close-up of the modified ArmaLite tube:

IMG_9503_zpseff3fdaf.jpg

Top rail was for PAQ-4C and later PEQ-2A. Bottom rail was for the modified VFG with buttons like this:

28f23c82-ffb5-4cd9-bc15-acff06ebcc3a_zpsstn4fc6h.jpg

Another question for you guys; when did the angled delta rings begin to replace the old straight version like we had on the A1's? And when did the castle nuts begin replacing the rounded lock rings? Previously I had assumed that they were upgraded together, but now I think I'm seeing the angled delta rings on carbines with the older round lock rings.

Another question for you guys; when did the angled delta rings begin to replace the old straight version like we had on the A1's? And when did the castle nuts begin replacing the rounded lock rings? Previously I had assumed that they were upgraded together, but now I think I'm seeing the angled delta rings on carbines with the older round lock rings.
    The first Delta Ring slip rings showed up on the Colt XM177E2, which is one of the distinguishing parts differences between it and the and 10” XM177 (RO609):

609-22-714x239.jpg

XM177E2 (RO629):

629-2-sm-721x230.jpg

Both of those carbines were well before the 723 and 727s. The earlier Commandos were 1960s era, whereas 723s and 727s were mid 1980s-early 1990s. The main ones in between them were the RO653 M16A1 carbines with 12” twist 14.5” light profile barrel, still had the aluminum vinyl acetate-coated telestocks, and A1 uppers.

To add to the confusion, the 653s had straight slip rings, not the delta ring like on the XM177E2.

653:

iu

653/M203 combo:

iu

As to the tele stock lock nuts, they started out with a single wrench hole for torquing down, then later went to the notched tooth type we see more today.

Older lock nut:

CastleNut-105x207.jpg

The Receiver Extension Tubes were different too and have gone through several changes since the 1960s.
    First ones were 2-position.
    JSOC had custom-cut 3-position tubes on the 723 for them.

BufTub-448x95.jpg

So odd; as I see xm177e2's with straight slip rings like brownells. So then why did I get the straight slip rings on my m16a1 in the Army lol, when they had the angled models for YEARS before me? lol. Those fuckers made my life harder than it had to be lol. Any idea when we started using the modern castle nut? Late 80's ya think?

So odd; as I see xm177e2's with straight slip rings like brownells. So then why did I get the straight slip rings on my m16a1 in the Army lol, when they had the angled models for YEARS before me? lol. Those fuckers made my life harder than it had to be lol. Any idea when we started using the modern castle nut? Late 80's ya think?
    We had M16A1s in my first unit before transitioning to M16A2s, so I remember the difficulty in trying to remove those handguards with the straight slip ring.

I just checked Brownell’s XM177E2 clone and they have the correct Delta slip rings.

I remember trying to source after-market “CAR” stocks in the 1990s for one of my pre-ban 11.5” AR-15s with the fixed 5.5” FH and they still had the old lock nuts with single wrench hole.

I honestly never saw a modern castle style lock nut until we got M4s in 1997 in my 3rd Recon Platoon at Fort Lewis. They also had 4-position Fiberlite stocks.

Guys who used the 723s and 727s in the late 1980s-early 1990s would have to scan their memory banks to see if they recall what RET lock nuts were used on those. Colt has had a habit of taking any number of parts in their bins and installing them on factory rifles and carbines, but cloners should be wary of using that as an excuse to slap anything together if they’re trying to stay time period-correct.

I spent years waiting for the right parts for my 605A, including a pre-1963 chromed bolt carrier, old solid firing pin retaining pin, certain furniture from before 1967, a Nodak partial fence lower, and it still isn’t 100%. The closest I’ve seen is one where chopped lower magazine wells with actual serial numbers are welded to the back end of an 80% lower that is cut accordingly, with all other parts surplus and period/model correct.

I have a 605B in the works that has been going for 13 years. It’s not a huge priority, but I’m serious enough to have had a custom 80% made for it with 605B markings.

The retro form of Black Rifle Disease can be very addictive.

We had M16A1s in my first unit before transitioning to M16A2s, so I remember the difficulty in trying to remove those handguards with the straight slip ring.

I just checked Brownell’s XM177E2 clone and they have the correct Delta slip rings.

I remember trying to source after-market “CAR” stocks in the 1990s for one of my pre-ban 11.5” AR-15s with the fixed 5.5” FH and they still had the old lock nuts with single wrench hole.

I honestly never saw a modern castle style lock nut until we got M4s in 1997 in my 3rd Recon Platoon at Fort Lewis. They also had 4-position Fiberlite stocks.

Guys who used the 723s and 727s in the late 1980s-early 1990s would have to scan their memory banks to see if they recall what RET lock nuts were used on those. Colt has had a habit of taking any number of parts in their bins and installing them on factory rifles and carbines, but cloners should be wary of using that as an excuse to slap anything together if they’re trying to stay time period-correct.

I spent years waiting for the right parts for my 605A, including a pre-1963 chromed bolt carrier, old solid firing pin retaining pin, certain furniture from before 1967, a Nodak partial fence lower, and it still isn’t 100%. The closest I’ve seen is one where chopped lower magazine wells with actual serial numbers are welded to the back end of an 80% lower that is cut accordingly, with all other parts surplus and period/model correct.

I have a 605B in the works that has been going for 13 years. It’s not a huge priority, but I’m serious enough to have had a custom 80% made for it with 605B markings.

The retro form of Black Rifle Disease can be very addictive.

Wow, you guys are anal lol. I like it. Although this brownells xm has the straight slip ring. https://mygunculture.com/the-brownells-xm177-colt-commando-something-old-and-something-new/

I was interested in doing a gordon carbine myself, and even though I'm not a 100 percent clone correct kind of guy, I don't want some really odd mistakes sticking out if they don't have to be. Meaning if I don't have any control over it fine (like finding the original light, light mount, optic and optics mount) then it's no big deal to me but if I can spend a few dollars to make it more accurate I will. Looks like old style buffer tube lock ring but newer delta ring is the way to go, correct?

One question on that pic above with the joes in bdus/boonies and the 723/203; I'm guessing this would be about 1990 or so? Odd to see someone in a higher funded unit still rollin with 77's.

That 2018 article was with one of the early attempts at a retro XM177E2 from Brownell's. Here’s everything wrong with it:

Plastic stock with incorrect butt plate, sling loop length and angle, mold pushrod marks, etc.
    Modern RET
    Modern RET lock ring (castle nut)
    Pistol grip is a modern attempt at a repro. Dimensions, material, and texture are off.
    Modern trigger guard
    Modern selector/safety with position indicator on RH side of the shaft (should be smooth with a chamfered edges).
    Lower receiver is a great Nodak reproduction A1 full fence profile.
    Upper is a Nodak repro A1 type with forward assist. For purists, we’re looking for actual Colt uppers with specific forge codes and proof stamps in key locations. The “NDS” sticks out at a glance.
    Ejection port door is an A2 type, didn’t exist until around 1984 with a larger/angled detent housing plate to prevent the door from hanging up on the lower when you shotgun the upper, then attempt to close it rapidly with the port door open.
    Slip ring is incorrect for an XM177E2 as we discussed.
    Handguards are not Colt, as you can clearly tell from the pronounced ribs and transition from the side and bottom spines. Colt 1960s-1980s era 6-hole carbine handguards have more of a sheen to them, with blended ribs and spines. Most of the after-market carbine handguards are junk, don’t hold up well to shooting, start smoking earlier from the heat.
    The FSB is also incorrect. There shouldn’t be a bayonet lug on either XM177E1 or XM177E2.
    The barrel is obviously incorrect for avoiding NFA purposes, but is the correct diameter at the FSB and fore end, just a bit longer to bring it to 16” overall length with the faux moderator.
    Grenade ring meant to retain the XM148 and M203 shouldn’t be glossy, but parkerized.

iu

iu

The photos of the SEALs with Colt 653s and the one with the PRC-77 with the 653/M203 combo are from the mid-1980s pre-SINCGARS. The photos were prominent in one of the Navy periodical magazines at the time. Other photos from that article included M60E3s and M16A1s. The 100% cotton ripstop BDUs they were wearing also date the photos, as the sew patterns were unique to the early-mid 1980s. The LC-2 LBE is also a giveaway to the time period, where SEALs commonly wore equipment that was found in USMC Infantry and Recon units when doing their Immediate Action Drills for Land Warfare training.

iu

The guy with the M203 and boonie hat is also wearing the standard Grenadier’s vest for that era, which was OD green mesh and nylon with pouches for 20x 40mm HE along 2 rows in the upper waist area above your pistol belt, worn over the LCE suspenders. It also had 4 long pouches for 40mm smoke or flares up high on your chest.

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette