• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes HEY Vortex PST owners!!!

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
Which <span style="font-style: italic">style</span> Vortex reticle do you prefer for long range?

<span style="color: #FF0000">( Mil Vs. MOA) has nothing to do with this, we are just talking about reticle <span style="font-style: italic">design, appearance</span>)</span>

Here's the Standard PST EBR-1 Reticle:
VortexPSTEBR-1.jpg

Here's the newer XLR reticle in the new Viper HS line:

VortexLRXLR.jpg

I contacted Vortex directly to send in my PST and have the reticle changed to the XLR reticle. They said "They don't do that." If you think we should have a choice, contact Vortex and tell them to make the change available. If enough people make this push, They should relent. The customer is always right.

Don't just click on any answer to see results please.

Re: HEY Vortex PST owners!!!

Screenshot2012-12-16at85720PM.png

Post up who you talked to and what they said!

What about Option 3. The ability to have the Razor EBR series in the PST line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think either one will work fine, wouldnt mind having the XLR</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think either one will work fine, wouldnt mind having the XLR</div></div>

I love my PST however I have two complaints. Side focus will not help under 50 yards (I have one on my .22lr) and the crosshair are a little to course...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Option 3. The ability to have the Razor EBR series in the PST line. </div></div>

Great point. Tellem!

If Vortex releases a scope with an XLR in mil, I would buy one without a second thought. Very nice reticle design. I wouldn't mind an EBR-2B in a PST, either, but I still like the XLR better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Vortex releases a scope with an XLR in mil, I would buy one without a second thought. Very nice reticle design. I wouldn't mind an EBR-2B in a PST, either, but I still like the XLR better. </div></div>

This ^

A mil tree reticle in the PST is a winning idea. I have already voiced this to Vortex.

Everyone is right on with they're suggestions. I suspect most scopes will have an XLR option in mil.

Done already a couple of times a couple of months ago. I would take either the XLR or EBR2B in MOA!

New reticle would be cool but what would really get me excited would be new turrets. I hate the serrations so much!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New reticle would be cool but what would really get me excited would be new turrets. I hate the serrations so much!</div></div>

try shooting in bitter cold, with light shooting gloves, you'll like the serrations.

The tree reticle is just too busy to get my interests going. I have the MIL EBR now, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I have always used a MIL reticle and MOA turrets before... so yes, I absolutely LOVE my MIL/MIL PST.

I love the solid clicks of the turrets on the PST, and the serations don't bother me a bit. However, the 50 yard minimum focus does bother me some. It is the ONLY concern that I have with my PST. Not really a complaint, but a concern.

DK

Tres,

Vortex quoted me a price of $135 for the reticule swap <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">BUT</span></span> they would not have any extra XLR reticules to perform the swap for at minimium 6-12 months.
frown.gif
This was about 2 weeksa ago when I contacted them. Lots of info on this scope and reticule here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...080#Post3743080

So far I'm really liking the scope; other than the lack of illumination and slightly different turrets I see no discernable difference between it and the PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tree reticle is just too busy to get my interests going. I have the MIL EBR now, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I have always used a MIL reticle and MOA turrets before... so yes, I absolutely LOVE my MIL/MIL PST.

I love the solid clicks of the turrets on the PST, and the serations don't bother me a bit. However, the 50 yard minimum focus does bother me some. It is the ONLY concern that I have with my PST. Not really a complaint, but a concern.

DK </div></div>

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. The tree reticle was too busy for my liking. I use the EBR-1 MOA reticle and for my purposes, it is great. All in all, for the Price, I think my PST is awesome

Although I don't have the XLR nor have I looked at one in an optic I do have the EBR-1 in a PST and Razor and I think I like the XLR better. I like the ability to hold windage if I have the opportunity.

the main thing for me is the XLR reticle has finer crosshair. I find the crosshair in the ebr-1 too course for really high precision, especially shooting at small targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tree reticle is just too busy to get my interests going. I have the MIL EBR now, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I have always used a MIL reticle and MOA turrets before... so yes, I absolutely LOVE my MIL/MIL PST.

DK </div></div>

Same here it's way to busy for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New reticle would be cool but what would really get me excited would be new turrets. I hate the serrations so much!</div></div>

try shooting in bitter cold, with light shooting gloves, you'll like the serrations. </div></div>

My issue is a left handed bolt + serrated illumination dial = bloody thumb. That, and the turrets snag on anything and my zero is never where I left it at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New reticle would be cool but what would really get me excited would be new turrets. I hate the serrations so much!</div></div>

try shooting in bitter cold, with light shooting gloves, you'll like the serrations. </div></div>

My issue is a left handed bolt + serrated illumination dial = bloody thumb. That, and the turrets snag on anything and my zero is never where I left it at. </div></div>

I've had the same issue with turrets spinning. Easily fixed with a wrap of electrical tape.

I have a couple of the HS LR FFP scopes if anyone is looking. Bought them for friends that got impatient during the backorder.
laugh.gif

My biggest complaint with the ebr-1 is there are no one MOA subtensions anywhere on the reticle. Wtf? For that reason alone I'd prefer the xlr. And on both I'd like to have WAY thinner crosshairs. Even at only 12x zoom the crosshairs cover the bullseye at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest complaint with the ebr-1 is there are no one MOA subtensions anywhere on the reticle. Wtf? For that reason alone I'd prefer the xlr. And on both I'd like to have WAY thinner crosshairs. Even at only 12x zoom the crosshairs cover the bullseye at 100 yards. </div></div>

Every small hashmark on both both planes of the ebr1 is 1moa.

I dont have either yet but will be getting a EBR1 in a pst soon.
Stepping up from a dead hold BDC so itll be a bit of a change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest complaint with the ebr-1 is there are no one MOA subtensions anywhere on the reticle. Wtf? For that reason alone I'd prefer the xlr. And on both I'd like to have WAY thinner crosshairs. Even at only 12x zoom the crosshairs cover the bullseye at 100 yards.</div></div>
Are you high? If you get the MOA model the reticle and turrets are in MOA...

I like the XLR. Even though the numbers are small I don't like them right next to the vertical line. I hate aiming through a number. Bigger numbers out a ways off the reticle makes much better sense to me. Other than that it's a well designed reticle.

I'm glad you guys are complaining about the 50Y parallax! Every scope company should incorporate 10Y parallax because it makes the scope more versatile. Recently I bought a few more BSA Tactical 4-14's just to be able to have 10Y parallax. I would have gladly spent the money on a PST if it had 10Y parallax.

I agree that a very fine dot or very fine crosshair in the center point of the reticle is ideal.

That XLR is just too much for me. I would never fully utilize that reticle.

I have a PST 4-16FFP MRAD on my R700 308 hunting rifle that I really like.

I wish Vortex would put the SFP PST reticles in the HS scope line (ala PST with no lit reticle) it would be hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest complaint with the ebr-1 is there are no one MOA subtensions anywhere on the reticle. Wtf? For that reason alone I'd prefer the xlr. And on both I'd like to have WAY thinner crosshairs. Even at only 12x zoom the crosshairs cover the bullseye at 100 yards.</div></div>
Are you high? If you get the MOA model the reticle and turrets are in MOA... </div></div>
What bodywerks is lamenting is that the hash marks are 2 moa not 1 moa, he is correct.
I wish scope makers would put a scale like in a S&B down in a lower corner with 1/2 moa, 1/10 mil, etc. hash marks specifically for ranging. These really work great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest complaint with the ebr-1 is there are no one MOA subtensions anywhere on the reticle. Wtf? For that reason alone I'd prefer the xlr. And on both I'd like to have WAY thinner crosshairs. Even at only 12x zoom the crosshairs cover the bullseye at 100 yards.</div></div>
Are you high? If you get the MOA model the reticle and turrets are in MOA... </div></div>
Read it again. I understand that i have an MOA reticle with MOA turrets. But The distance between the hash marks on the vertical and horizontal hairs is 2 MOA or greater. It wouldn't have been too busy or difficult to add another hash mark in between now would it?

I have the EBR1 reticle in a 4-16 pst. I like the half mil hashes, the XLR is a bit busy for my eyes.

I like the EBR1 I have on my 4-16 but if I had been allowed a choice, I would have taken the XLR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willyz54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the EBR1 reticle in a 4-16 pst. I like the half mil hashes, the XLR is a bit busy for my eyes. </div></div>

Same here. 4-16 FFP MRAD here and I love the reticle. XLR just isn't for me.

My only criticism is the trade-off to thicker crosshairs, so a step-down int he very middle or an empty space would be good for precision work.