• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 'Hide Optics Dealers that take trade in Scopes?

It's the only one I know that takes trades for used scopes, maybe there's another one

You are vastly better off selling it and using the money for a new one, you get bent over on trade-ins.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
You are vastly better off selling it and using the money for a new one, you get bent over on trade-ins.

Very true, they offered me $450 for a scope I had but I ended up selling it for $650 straight out.

+1 on swfa carrying nf but I don't think trade ins are all bad. I had a mark 4 4.5-14 and with the Chinese copies out there etc it just didn't seem like it was worth the headaches to try to list it. Swfa online trade in form was as easy as it gets, had new products in hand the following week. Sure I might have been able to get 10-20% more but what about the hassle factor, chance of buyer bitching, etc? Swfa trade was headache free

Reactions: Voyager1

Even the very best dealers on here can't pay you what your scope is worth on a trade in.
The have to sell your scope and make a profit.

Even the very best dealers on here can't pay you what your scope is worth on a trade in.
Yup. But I wasn't in the mood to deal with all the hassle of listing it myself, possibly waiting a month etc just to try to make an extra $100 or whatever. Also people will be more confident buying used from SWFA or EuroOptics than from [email protected] so there's a little of their margin right there.

for anyone selling a scope, go ahead and fill out the trade in form to see what you'd get from SWFA then add 20% and list it yourself, interesting experiment to cut through all the speculation. don't forget to factor in your personal time.

Last edited:
Yup. But I wasn't in the mood to deal with all the hassle of listing it myself, possibly waiting a month etc just to try to make an extra $100 or whatever. Also people will be more confident buying used from SWFA or EuroOptics than from [email protected] so there's a little of their margin right there.

Don't blame you one bit.
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

So you agree you make better money selling it yourself.

So you agree you make better money selling it yourself.

Of course you do.
Probably about 99% of the time.
But sometimes the convenience of a quick sale or trade outweighs the hassle of a long and drawn-out sale trying to milk the last $$ out of something.
Most of us on here have probably done both. I know I have.
I've been so broke-assed that I've taken less for something I didn't need any more so I could move up to something I wanted or needed at the time.
I've also been in the position of having something that other folks wanted, so I could wait as long as I wanted to get a fair price and move on to something else.
But I've never given anything away for pennies on the dollar, and I've never screwed anybody on something I had that everybody wanted at the time.

So, what exactly was your point?

That's my question to you. You're agreeing with me, so what was your point?

What a waste of time.
I must have unwittingly knocked the little chip off your shoulder.
You are right and I am wrong.
I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Feel better now?

What a waste of time.
I must have unwittingly knocked the little chip off your shoulder.
You are right and I am wrong.
I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Feel better now?

My, aren't you quick to be hostile. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

My, aren't you quick to be hostile. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

Hey, I don't have a clue how I pissed you off so badly. You win.
Feel better now?
I sure didn't expect this crap from a fellow LE "bro".

No reply necessary.
You win.
I give up.
OK?

Hey, I don't have a clue how I pissed you off so badly. You win.
Feel better now?
I sure didn't expect this crap from a fellow LE "bro".

No reply necessary.
You win.
I give up.
OK?

Are you ill? I'm not pissed off. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Are you ill? I'm not pissed off. Who pissed in your cheerios?

I'm well.
I'm not pissed off.
Nobody has pissed in my Cheerios.

Thanks for asking.
I will now go back into the "reading" mode here on SH.
I will leave the contributions to folks like you.

LawnMM,
I don't know if it will matter to you, but I sent you a pm.

+1 on swfa carrying nf but I don't think trade ins are all bad. I had a mark 4 4.5-14 and with the Chinese copies out there etc it just didn't seem like it was worth the headaches to try to list it. Swfa online trade in form was as easy as it gets, had new products in hand the following week. Sure I might have been able to get 10-20% more but what about the hassle factor, chance of buyer bitching, etc? Swfa trade was headache free
You cannot buy that kind of piece of mind. Plus I have always enjoyed getting optics from SWFA.....I usually buy my optics but they do carry Schmidy and Bender...

You cannot buy that kind of piece of mind. Plus I have always enjoyed getting optics from SWFA.....I usually buy my optics but they do carry Schmidy and Bender...
Holy thread resurrection.
You revived a thread from Oct 2014.
I think you get a prize for that!

damn. I wish they carried nightforce.

We take some scopes for trade and we are a Nightforce dealer, as well as Tangent Theta, Vortex, S&B, Steiner, Leupold, Aimpoint and a few others

Scopes we take have to be great condition. Kahles, Tangent Theta, Leupold (Mark 4 and 5) Nightforce (NXS, ATACR), Steiner Military, S&B PM-II 3-20 and 5-25 mil MTC, Vortex Razor 1-6x HD

Holy thread resurrection.
You revived a thread from Oct 2014.
I think you get a prize for that!
Hey at least I’m good for something besides practicing medicine. I really really really want to become a competent PRs shooter but the only time I can practice is basically at matches. The nearest long range (> 800 meters is 2.15 hours away)....

We take some scopes for trade and we are a Nightforce dealer, as well as Tangent Theta, Vortex, S&B, Steiner, Leupold, Aimpoint and a few others

Scopes we take have to be great condition. Kahles, Tangent Theta, Leupold (Mark 4 and 5) Nightforce (NXS, ATACR), Steiner Military, S&B PM-II 3-20 and 5-25 mil MTC, Vortex Razor 1-6x HD
I don’t blame you. You aren’t going to take a Barsksa 20x80 SFP from WalFart on sale for 39.99 ????. You carry some really interesting stuff plus you manufacture some incredible clones.
Having said that I have a question Charlie. How difficult would it be to get the Suppressor that was available for my Steyr 69 SSG P4? This rifle has a barrel that detaches in the middle and a suppressor was mounted over the threads. I bought the rifle NIB in 1995 and it has sat in my safe for > 20 years. NOW ITS TIME to start smelling the roses....I’m far from retired, but I kniw what my greatest passion (all things second amendment including PRS shooting and 3 )Gun. I took the rifle out of the safe and fired it for the first time s few weeks ago!!!! What a spectacular rifle!!!
54BADDC1-5708-465B-B176-F43BC12AC0D1.jpeg
89F23E3F-8C95-4201-A7D4-D4C3A408E6AF.jpeg

It may be old, but it’s still in use (according to Wikipedia) by at least 15 Countries around the world....probably more. That speaks to its excellent design, its inherent accuracy and its great strength....