• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High End 1X8 Scopes - which one?

Wildcat96

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2017
Hi there,
I've got a 5.56 Noveske and am researching scopes for a future purchase. This set up will primarily be used for fun at the range up to 500 yards and the 1X8 scopes look great for their versatility. I'm not too concerned about the price and would prefer a premium scope I can keep long term. Please let me know your opinion of the scopes below and which would you choose and why. Thanks!

Minox ZP8 1X8X24

S&B PMII 1X8X24 Short Dot

Swarovski Z8i 1X8X24

Attachments

• photo66918.jpg
    photo66918.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 22
Tag because I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used the S&B dual CC FFP version. If it works as advertised I'd be interested in one.

FWIW I have a CQBSS with H27D reticle and it's a fantastic optic, I've actually had a few of them and never had an issue. The glass is very good, but not quite Schmidt good. The reticle works well but I think the dual CC S&B may have merit in some regard but I'd lose the Horus grid. I hate the turrets for any dialing though. They are the most annoying turrets I've used, even more so than the old DMR/HDMR/ERS/XRS turrets. I understand the concept of the scope works best with a locking style turret but I think they could have done better with a lock than can be engaged and disengaged, and for my uses being about to dial quickly would be nice.

I would probably be looking at the Minox ZP8 for this.

I deeply dislike the M5B1 turret on the Leupold and I think the MR10+ reticle of the Minox is a better geenral purpose design than the reticles in S&B and Leupold.

ILya

I tested the Minox and it wasn't bad. Schmidt and Benders offering was interesting, i like it. that said, i think the Swarovski 1-8x24 was my favorite. in a lot power scope I personally prefer second focal plane. i was a fan of the swarovski z6i 1-6, the reticle is nice and usable, and on 1x those scopes are quick.

my advice is to check them all out and go with what works for you, but personally i like the swarovski out of the 3

My favorite LPV's are the Kahles and Swaro on 1x while one of my favorite high end LPV's at 8x in the Dual Focal Plane Minox :cool: If you'd like some info and/or a quote than please feel free to call us at 916.670.1103

I own a S&B, and a number of other scopes, but I would not spend that sort of money on a 1-8x. I know you said money was not an object, but there are quite a few very well made scopes that work great at 8x, and you don't need to spend $1,800, IMHO. The Kahles, I think 1-6x is very popular, and they make a great scope.

In the variable power 8x, I like the following:

1) Trijicon Accupower 1-8
2) Burris XTR-ii 1-8, or the 1.5-8 (dual focal plane)
3) Leupold Mk8 QCBSS (which puts back in an expensive scope). I agree on the turrets, but for $200, you can send the scope back to Leupold to get the low profile.

The Leupold is probably my favorite, if I did not have a price limit, and it just looks the part as well. The Burris and Accupower are both good, and I have the Burris, and just bought the Accupower. I have no range time with it, but looking around the yard it is nice and clear. There were two other votes (above) for this scope as well. I find the Burris to have more eye-box, which is important if you are scanning in 1x with both eyes. If you are only target shooting, then who cares, and look at the Burris 1.5-8.

One final note. While technically not in your spec, I like the Leupold Mk 6 1-6x, and there are some deals to be had right now.

Final edit: I am usually not much help at helping people decide on scopes. I am an equal opportunity scope enthusiast. The only scope I met that I did not like was the Vortex Strike Eagle. :rolleyes:

I own a S&B, and a number of other scopes, but I would not spend that sort of money on a 1-8x. I know you said money was not an object, but there are quite a few very well made scopes that work great at 8x, and you don't need to spend $1,800, IMHO. The Kahles, I think 1-6x is very popular, and they make a great scope.

In the variable power 8x, I like the following:

1) Trijicon Accupower 1-8
2) Burris XTR-ii 1-8, or the 1.5-8 (dual focal plane)
3) Leupold Mk8 QCBSS (which puts back in an expensive scope). I agree on the turrets, but for $200, you can send the scope back to Leupold to get the low profile.

The Leupold is probably my favorite, if I did not have a price limit, and it just looks the part as well. The Burris and Accupower are both good, and I have the Burris, and just bought the Accupower. I have no range time with it, but looking around the yard it is nice and clear. There were two other votes (above) for this scope as well. I find the Burris to have more eye-box, which is important if you are scanning in 1x with both eyes. If you are only target shooting, then who cares, and look at the Burris 1.5-8.

One final note. While technically not in your spec, I like the Leupold Mk 6 1-6x, and there are some deals to be had right now.

Final edit: I am usually not much help at helping people decide on scopes. I am an equal opportunity scope enthusiast. The only scope I s:
Longshot2000,

Can you tell me anything more about the low profile turrents? I'm planning on buying a Mark 8 soon.

I have a CQBSS with the standard turrets and I've never thought that they visually get in the way? Is it an ergo thing? I agree that it isn't a dial-and-shoot kind of gun, but the way you have to grip them to turn them, it isn't like they spin randomly with rough handling. Are those low ones as mechanically resistant to turning?

I over bought with the CQBSS and when I did my next 1-8 I got the Trijicon. Unless you need the best option for durability, I don't see the need for the level of the CQBSS. I guess it depends on how much money is worth to you. I have the TMR reticle CQBSS and I'd be willing to sell it, but they have dropped in price. That is to say that I don't think the used market, especially for the TMR reticle versions, hold their value well. Now the flip side is that the used ones are at a pretty good price point for what you get. The Horus reticle ones seem to hold their value better, but those get really spendy new.

For range shooting and 3-gun and Carbine comps, the Trijicon is hard to beat. I know a lot of people suggest SFP lenses for these 1-6/8 uses, but I really have grown used to FFP.