• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High End Reloading Equipment

High End old school analog!

20220106_185336.jpg

Has anyone used the Mark 7 Apex 10? Looking to get a progressive, and this just came up in conversation with another reloader. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone used the Mark 7 Apex 10? Looking to get a progressive, and this just came up in conversation with another reloader. Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
I've used it extensively. If you are going to operate it manually, I would say the Dillon 1050/1100 is a slightly better loading press. If you are going to run an autodrive, which I do, then the Apex is miles better than the Dillon. I am happy to answer any questions you have about it.

I've used it extensively. If you are going to operate it manually, I would say the Dillon 1050/1100 is a slightly better loading press. If you are going to run an autodrive, which I do, then the Apex is miles better than the Dillon. I am happy to answer any questions you have about it.
Thanks. I plan to automate at some point, but the initial use will be manual. If I'm not mistaken there is automation for the 1050/1100 as well? So would that be more conducive with manual usage for a year or two before automation? just incase it takes that long to getting around to it. Or, with automation as the final goal, will the Apex 10 be better. Also, in terms of the bare bones loader, no additions, how is the Apex? Does it need the powder sense, bullet feeder and primer sensor? Or, do those just add to the flexibility of the machine once in use? Also, how is the primer seater? Does it have any issues that you have come across, or is it solid and accurate as to depth and efficiency? And if there is anything you have come across that I have neglected to ask, or is just good information, please feel free to include. Thanks for your time and assistance Choid.

Thanks. I plan to automate at some point, but the initial use will be manual. If I'm not mistaken there is automation for the 1050/1100 as well? So would that be more conducive with manual usage for a year or two before automation? just incase it takes that long to getting around to it. Or, with automation as the final goal, will the Apex 10 be better. Also, in terms of the bare bones loader, no additions, how is the Apex? Does it need the powder sense, bullet feeder and primer sensor? Or, do those just add to the flexibility of the machine once in use? Also, how is the primer seater? Does it have any issues that you have come across, or is it solid and accurate as to depth and efficiency? And if there is anything you have come across that I have neglected to ask, or is just good information, please feel free to include. Thanks for your time and assistance Choid.
So, the primer sense and powder sense are only operable with the automation. They run through the CPU. Run manually they don't have a way to alert and stop the machine. There is a DAA powder check, but it is pretty shitty and tends to alert every time. I found that if I replaced the steel set screw with a brass one, it would take care of that problem as it was a magnetic issue.

I would not run either the apex or the RL1050/1100 without a Mr. Bulletfeeder. If you end up getting one of these machines, I might have an extra Mr. BF that I can send you. (free, but without conversions, this is not an offer to sell, mods) It's just kind of close quarters trying to place bullets every round. The Mr. Bulletfeeder is easier to attach to the Apex than to the Dillon machines.

The primer system is, IMO, quite good. It needs to be adjusted, and the machine needs to be kept in index, but once adjusted you drop far fewer primers than on a Dillon. The Primer xPress is very good, as you start adding to the machine. That works with or without the autodrive.

In terms of a pretty bare bones loader, the Dillon is better. It has more slop, and better leverage, so you don't have to keep nearly the eye on it you do with the Apex. In particular, the indexing on the Dillon is easier. There is a reason for this. The Apex was built to be automated, and in the automation settings the indexing is important. The Apex does not have much spring assist for indexing because of this, so you have to make sure to press it forward to full stop. With the Dillon it pretty much glides back up to the top, but if you run an autodrive with a Dillon, the indexing kills you.

You can certainly run the Apex in manual. I did for a few months, and they suggest that, because getting everything right is a lot easier that way. You could do it for a few years. I just find my 1050 easier to use manually than I did my Apex.

I don't know about conversions for the Apex, as I only run 9mm on it. I do a ton of different cartridges on my Dillon, and going from one to the other is really easy. I do it in a couple of minutes. But I only use it for small primers, changing primer size is a real pain, and looks like it would be a real pain on the Apex as well.

As far as seating depth, both of the machines are pretty similar in that they use a rocker arm priming system with the depth controlled by an adjustable post. They don't rely on feel or technique like a 550 or 650, but you will get some variance because there is flex in the shellplates. Apex will be a little better because you use your sizing die (or a hold down) over the primer station, with tightens everything up. With the Dillon, you can get an Everglades Ammo hold down for pistol cartrdges to put in that small hole, or just be aware that there will be some deviation in primer depth. That said, if you are loading pistol ammo with mixed headstamps, you will have variation anyway.

Reactions: reubenski
So, the primer sense and powder sense are only operable with the automation. They run through the CPU. Run manually they don't have a way to alert and stop the machine. There is a DAA powder check, but it is pretty shitty and tends to alert every time. I found that if I replaced the steel set screw with a brass one, it would take care of that problem as it was a magnetic issue.

I would not run either the apex or the RL1050/1100 without a Mr. Bulletfeeder. If you end up getting one of these machines, I might have an extra Mr. BF that I can send you. (free, but without conversions, this is not an offer to sell, mods) It's just kind of close quarters trying to place bullets every round. The Mr. Bulletfeeder is easier to attach to the Apex than to the Dillon machines.

The primer system is, IMO, quite good. It needs to be adjusted, and the machine needs to be kept in index, but once adjusted you drop far fewer primers than on a Dillon. The Primer xPress is very good, as you start adding to the machine. That works with or without the autodrive.

In terms of a pretty bare bones loader, the Dillon is better. It has more slop, and better leverage, so you don't have to keep nearly the eye on it you do with the Apex. In particular, the indexing on the Dillon is easier. There is a reason for this. The Apex was built to be automated, and in the automation settings the indexing is important. The Apex does not have much spring assist for indexing because of this, so you have to make sure to press it forward to full stop. With the Dillon it pretty much glides back up to the top, but if you run an autodrive with a Dillon, the indexing kills you.

You can certainly run the Apex in manual. I did for a few months, and they suggest that, because getting everything right is a lot easier that way. You could do it for a few years. I just find my 1050 easier to use manually than I did my Apex.

I don't know about conversions for the Apex, as I only run 9mm on it. I do a ton of different cartridges on my Dillon, and going from one to the other is really easy. I do it in a couple of minutes. But I only use it for small primers, changing primer size is a real pain, and looks like it would be a real pain on the Apex as well.

As far as seating depth, both of the machines are pretty similar in that they use a rocker arm priming system with the depth controlled by an adjustable post. They don't rely on feel or technique like a 550 or 650, but you will get some variance because there is flex in the shellplates. Apex will be a little better because you use your sizing die (or a hold down) over the primer station, with tightens everything up. With the Dillon, you can get an Everglades Ammo hold down for pistol cartrdges to put in that small hole, or just be aware that there will be some deviation in primer depth. That said, if you are loading pistol ammo with mixed headstamps, you will have variation anyway.
Thank you Sir. That answers a great number of questions. As I get closer to pulling the trigger, I hope you don't mind if I reach out with any more questions? Cheers.

Reactions: Choid
I’m curious if anyone has experience using some of the higher end swaging presses for reloading? Specifically the Walnut Hill or Corbin presses.

I also was looking at CH4D presses? Any thoughts on those?

purpose for high end swaging? Is it something you cant do on a Dillon or a single stage with a swaging set up?

purpose for high end swaging? Is it something you cant do on a Dillon or a single stage with a swaging set up?
He be referring to making jackets bullets using a swaging press. The press is usually custom built and exceptionally strong. In these days and times, I wish I had invested ten or more years ago when the MMIC was still Vice President and the TIIC was doing his absolute best to destroy 50 years of efforts to reduce hate between races (and his best to destroy the nation)

Corbon has a pretty good explanation on his page

Corbin Swaging

Below is a picture of the Walnut Hill swaging press. No longer in production but a very popular press

CEC9BC59-74B3-45F6-9450-C11DF7164095.jpeg

Yeah, was curious given you could spend $1000+ on a high end press. Wondered if people had experience with reloading on a Corbin. Plus you could use it to swag. But I am curious how it works as a reloading press. Reviews suggest that as a swaging press it works great.