• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High End Tactical: Part II

Re: High End Tactical: Part II

Ilya,
WOW, What a great line up. Wish I could come out and enjoy the fun in the sun.
That line up really represents not only quite a lot of money (obvious) but also a lot of ingenuity and I am sure you will be able to see the subtle differences in both mechanical and optical designs.

Looking forward to your review.

Have fun,

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the meantime, I am having a blast with the scope on hand:
HighEndTactical2-1.jpg

ILya </div></div>

One more comment.
All of the scopes int his picture (except for the S.S.HD in the back) are mounted in Aadland Mounts ( http://www.aadmount.com/ ). I was talking with Jon (the guy who designed them and who posts here) about this comparison and he loaned me a bunch of 30mm and 34mm mounts to use for this. I already have a modified 35mm version for my own use, so this makes it a level playing field. All scopes I mounted the same way and the mount works equally well for the AR and the DTA. In actual usage, the Aadmount rocks: it stays put, comes back to zero and has 20MOA built in. The 30mm version is also long enough for USO's massive turret box. I'll keep playing with them, but so far I am quite impressed both with the mount itself and with how consistent they all are (I have seven of them here). At this point they can be purchased either directly from Aadmount or from SWFA. Going through SWFA is a bit cheaper. I'll let you know if I run into any problems with them, but so far they seem very bullet proof.

ILya

Is there an estimated time until this review is done ILYA? I am looking forward to reading your report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jenko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there an estimated time until this review is done ILYA? I am looking forward to reading your report.</div></div>

I hope to be finally done by the end of December (or a little sooner if my schedule opens up).

ILya

I just want to throw out there that I'd much rather see the tracking of a scope tested optically (ie, put the gun in a locked down vise so it isn't going to move, crank the turrets, and see where the crosshairs align on a carefully measured grid at a known distance)... why introduce all the potential variables that happen when you actually fling lead? Cheaper too...

Edit: Of course, you'd also test with live rounds that it holds zero, etc.. but I'd think you'd want to do that separate from tracking anyway..

Are we there yet?
Sorry, can't stand waiting for the report
smile.gif

Thanks for doing this!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the meantime, I am having a blast with the scope on hand:
HighEndTactical2-1.jpg

ILya </div></div>

That looks like jasonk's "I had one of these for a minute until something else shiny caught my eye" scope collection....

While I await you review with anxiety I think you should take your time and do your best. These scopes deserve a through test.
Many purchase dollars may swing upon your words.

There are a couple more (less labor intensive) articles I plan to do before SHOT, so I definitely want to finish with this one before the end of December. I will have a few days off around Christmas, so that is likely when I will edit the photos and do the write-up. I am done with the bulk of the testing, but March 3-24x42FFP should be here tomorrow. I will need to redo some tests with March in the mix.

ILya

I was lucky enough to have spent a couple of the testing days with Ilya and to provide input into his 'guys at the range' data collection.

I have to say, the notion that one's emotional attachment to their own equipment plays a big part in subverting their objectivity is totally true. It did with mine anyway. When I looked through my Hensoldt and then through a couple of the other high end scopes I had to force myself to be honest and objective because in a couple of instances I wasn't happy with what I saw. I had the emotionally driven mindset that 'mine is better, because - it's mine!'.

In my report to Ilya I made as best an effort as I could to criticize and praise each scope without bias. For me, the difference between the No.1 and No.2 scope came down to what I wanted to use the rifle for and my own limitations as a shooter for which the scopes helped compensate. If I had a singular use in mind and I was more competent, then the two positions would reverse based on value for money.

These things aren't our kids, they will never love us back or speak well of us. They're tools and if a better tool should come along then personally I will dump it and get the better one - funds and wife permitting. That was one of my most valuable lessons learned peering through all those scopes.

Looking forward to the final article Ilya, I know first hand you're doing a thorough job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was lucky enough to have spent a couple of the testing days with Ilya and to provide input into his 'guys at the range' data collection.

I have to say, the notion that one's emotional attachment to their own equipment plays a big part in subverting their objectivity is totally true. It did with mine anyway. When I looked through my Hensoldt and then through a couple of the other high end scopes I had to force myself to be honest and objective because in a couple of instances I wasn't happy with what I saw. I had the emotionally driven mindset that 'mine is better, because - it's mine!'.

In my report to Ilya I made as best an effort as I could to criticize and praise each scope without bias. For me, the difference between the No.1 and No.2 scope came down to what I wanted to use the rifle for and my own limitations as a shooter for which the scopes helped compensate. If I had a singular use in mind and I was more competent, then the two positions would reverse based on value for money.

These things aren't our kids, they will never love us back or speak well of us. They're tools and if a better tool should come along then personally I will dump it and get the better one - funds and wife permitting. That was one of my most valuable lessons learned peering through all those scopes.

Looking forward to the final article Ilya, I know first hand you're doing a thorough job. </div></div>

That is a very good point. Emotional attachment is a big deal.

None of the scope here (except for the baseline 10x42HD S.S.) are mine. I will return all of them to their various owners when I am done. I try to be as impartial as possible, but I certainly have some pre-conceived notions, since I have seen all of these before at different times.
However, I have never seen them side-by-side until now, and some of my preconceived notions ended up being thrown out of the window very early on, while others were re-enforced.

Still, my impressions are obviously subject to my personal preferences and I will try to verbalize that the best way I can. In the end, no matter what my conclusions are, they may not be the same as what someone else would decide in my place. I appreciate that my opinion may have some influence on your purchasing decisions, but I still strongly recommend that you go and try to look through these with your own eyes. Nothing quite replaces that.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was lucky enough to have spent a couple of the testing days with Ilya and to provide input into his 'guys at the range' data collection.

Looking forward to the final article Ilya, I know first hand you're doing a thorough job.</div></div>

This is huge, and very, very hard for people to acknowledge regardless of what it is, scope or other product.

It's sort of one of the reasons I will "abuse" the stuff in my videos, to show that I am not emotionally attached to it, Doesn't always come across to some, but there is a point. It's a tool designed to do a job, and I don't care how shiny something is compared to the next widget, if it doesn't "work" shiny is a waste of my time. Great Glass + Flawed Mechanics = Waste of my Money

Exactly. Save the "great glass only" types for binocs.

If I had to choose between great glass+shit mechanics and shit glass+great mechanics, I would also go with the shit glass one.

But if I could, i would go with the great(glass+mechanics) scope. Because, such scopes exist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of the scopes int his picture (except for the S.S.HD in the back) are mounted in Aadland Mounts </div></div>
Excellent choice. I've got two of them and won't use any other. Other mounts just don't compare at that price point.

ILYA-

Will you be posting your findings on this forum or your web page? Just curious as I am anxiously awaiting your report. Thank you for your time.

Looking forward to the final article Ilya, I know first hand you're doing a thorough job. </div></div>

I bought a hunting rifle many years ago that came with a Tasco World Class Scope... At that time.. my opinion of Tasco was quite low... until I shot that rifle... It might have been an accident that put that awesome scope together... But wow, it was one of the best hunting scopes I have ever owned in my life... I really really really regret letting that scope go... But I was raising money for another project. Honestly it had great glass... Did everything I asked of it.

Another personal comparison... I was a Lupy man, every tactical rifle I owned had Lupy on it... Until I shot a buddies rifle with a Nightforce NSX... Now thats my favorite....

I cant wait to read your evaluation of how the Nightforce tracks...Which is the primary reason I love them.. Mine tracks perfectly every time... for many years.

Ilya-nice meeting you today. That march has some nice glass. The reticle, however, leaves much to be desired. If they can pull off a nice reticle, that scope may be the next hot ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

My prediction is that whatever the reviews say, most people will balk at the outcomes and point at a flawed methodology based on whatever they already own.

A few people are probably kicking around some of the big names for their next scope purchases. Most have already bought and are like looky-loos that show up at a house showing down the block from where they live. All they really want to see is that they made a great decision in purchasing whatever they own.

I am one of those and look forward to reading the article.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jenko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILYA-

Will you be posting your findings on this forum or your web page? Just curious as I am anxiously awaiting your report. Thank you for your time.</div></div>

I will post the whole article on my website, and I will post a link to it here.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ilya-nice meeting you today. That march has some nice glass. The reticle, however, leaves much to be desired. If they can pull off a nice reticle, that scope may be the next hot ticket. </div></div>

Likewise, nice to meet you. The shoot looked like a lot of fun!

As for the reticle, we are in agreement here. It needs work. I like the general concept, but the lines in the center have to be thinner. I already sent my suggestions to Kelbly and I'll talk to them some more as we go along. The rest of the scope is superb.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

My prediction is that whatever the reviews say, most people will balk at the outcomes and point at a flawed methodology based on whatever they already own.

A few people are probably kicking around some of the big names for their next scope purchases. Most have already bought and are like looky-loos that show up at a house showing down the block from where they live. All they really want to see is that they made a great decision in purchasing whatever they own.

grin.gif
</div></div>

You may very well be right, but honestly I am mostly out to report my take on the scopes. I am not trying to change anyone's mind or to prove (or to disprove) anyone's purchase. Bottom line is that I am having a blast messing with the scopes.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I looked through my Hensoldt and then through a couple of the other high end scopes I had to force myself to be honest and objective because in a couple of instances I wasn't happy with what I saw. I had the emotionally driven mindset that 'mine is better, because - it's mine!'.

In my report to Ilya I made as best an effort as I could to criticize and praise each scope without bias. For me, the difference between the No.1 and No.2 scope came down to what I wanted to use the rifle for and my own limitations as a shooter for which the scopes helped compensate. If I had a singular use in mind and I was more competent, then the two positions would reverse based on value for money. </div></div>

I really really want to know what scope/s you liked better than the hensoldt.

Really really really want to know your #1 and #2 choice.

Really.

Chris

Really.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

You may very well be right, but honestly I am mostly out to report my take on the scopes. I am not trying to change anyone's mind or to prove (or to disprove) anyone's purchase. Bottom line is that I am having a blast messing with the scopes.

ILya</div></div>

I understand your motivations. I am just saying that you will need to get ready to put your nomex suit on.

As much as everyone gets their panties in a bunch about optics, this is a great market for consumers right now. In the past, if you wanted mil/mil FFP with top quality glass, you had one choice, and that was S&B. Today, S&B, Hensoldt, Premier Reticles, Nightforce, Vortex Razor, and now March all offer mil/mil FFP scopes with great glass in a durable package.

Choice is a great thing. Now that you have the core features in a bunch of different scope, you can start to make your selection based on things like the reticle, the size and feel of the turrets, customer service, the history of the company, etc., etc. Even for S&B fans, I think all of the competition in the market is part of what forced S&B to up their customer service in the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

ILya</div></div>

I understand your motivations. I am just saying that you will need to get ready to put your nomex suit on.

As much as everyone gets their panties in a bunch about optics, this is a great market for consumers right now. In the past, if you wanted mil/mil FFP with top quality glass, you had one choice, and that was S&B. Today, S&B, Hensoldt, Premier Reticles, Nightforce, Vortex Razor, and now March all offer mil/mil FFP scopes with great glass in a durable package.

Choice is a great thing. Now that you have the core features in a bunch of different scope, you can start to make your selection based on things like the reticle, the size and feel of the turrets, customer service, the history of the company, etc., etc. Even for S&B fans, I think all of the competition in the market is part of what forced S&B to up their customer service in the US. </div></div>

I'll keep my nomex suit handy
grin.gif
, but let's hope I won't need it.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying something negative about some one's favorite scope is like drawing cartoons of Mohamed! </div></div>

All right, I'll be ready to enter a witness protection program then
laugh.gif

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying something negative about some one's favorite scope is like drawing cartoons of Mohamed! </div></div>

LOL! Brilliant.

Crnkin, if you're on the verge of buying a scope and want my opinion to help with that then ping me, but i'm strictly an average Joe on these matters, not a competitor or shooter of any rep whatsoever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying something negative about some one's favorite scope is like drawing cartoons of Mohamed! </div></div>

All right, I'll be ready to enter a witness protection program then
laugh.gif

ILya </div></div>

Just get yerself one of these bear proof suits!

troy-new-suit.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the past, if you wanted mil/mil FFP with top quality glass, you had one choice, and that was S&B. Today, S&B, Hensoldt, Premier Reticles, Nightforce, Vortex Razor, and now March all offer mil/mil FFP scopes with great glass in a durable package.
</div></div>

Don't forget IOR!

ILYA, any news on when this review will be wrapped? thanks, rath

I am working on the write-up. I was hoping to wrap up today, but it might not happen. Hopefully, within the next couple of days.

ILya

Thanks ILYA. I know a bunch of people are looking forward to your report.

Your review/report alone won't sway a future purchase for me, but I will definitely be taking your words into consideration.

Again, thank you for taking the time to do a comprehensive review.

HighEndTactical2-1.jpg

ILya </div></div>

What's the scope at the very top, and the one at the lower right...?

(I think I recognize the rest.)

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TTT

When is the review coming out!! I can't wait!</div></div>

I'll second that, ILYA's reviews are always top notch and now he's playing with the best of the best...should be great.
Rath

Still working on it. I am about 7000 words into it and not yet done. Prepare for some reading (or for giving up early).

ILya

I imagine this will take quite a few words. I imagine each scope has its pluses and minuses. A good article would break down the qualities for each scope so that a user could select one based on application... that is a huge undertaking with all of the scopes being reviewed.

Thanks for your hard work!

ILYA-

With the amount of time people spend on here nitpicking every issue... I doubt people will give up half way into reading your full article.

Thanks again.

BTW... you slated for this years Shot Show? I assume you will be doing a shot review just like last year? (Or was that another article I read with you included in it...)

Ilya,

My suggestion, if I may, is that after you have done all the analysis send each scope back to customer service with a note saying the "tracking is off" or something similar, but the same for each, and then see how long it takes to get the scope back. Obviously this needs to done as a civilian not as a distributor.

Just as a point of comparison I have recently done this with both a sightron and a bushnell; both were back in hand in less than two weeks (UPS ground) and both work fine now.

I am sure everyone would very interested in the results of that test alone.

Ilya- I'm patiently waiting and Thank you for your work.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Low Sioux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ilya,

My suggestion, if I may, is that after you have done all the analysis send each scope back to customer service with a note saying the "tracking is off" or something similar, but the same for each, and then see how long it takes to get the scope back. Obviously this needs to done as a civilian not as a distributor.

Just as a point of comparison I have recently done this with both a sightron and a bushnell; both were back in hand in less than two weeks (UPS ground) and both work fine now.

I am sure everyone would very interested in the results of that test alone.</div></div>

Waste of time IMHO. Doing as you have suggested only tells us how long a company takes to return a perfectly working scope. The important info is how long it takes for a damaged/non-functioning scope to be returned. The only way to accurately assess a companies repair CS is to damage all the tested scopes equally and return them @ the same time. ILYA, how brave are you
grin.gif

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Low Sioux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ilya,

I am sure everyone would very interested in the results of that test alone.</div></div>

Waste of time IMHO. Doing as you have suggested only tells us how long a company takes to return a perfectly working scope. <span style="font-weight: bold">The important info is how long it takes for a damaged/non-functioning scope to be returned.</span>
Rath </div></div>

I'm fairly certain this could be arranged.
wink.gif

John

Sure but it aint cheap... nor smart
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure but it aint cheap... nor smart
wink.gif
</div></div>

Agreed.
grin.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jenko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILYA-

With the amount of time people spend on here nitpicking every issue... I doubt people will give up half way into reading your full article.

Thanks again.

BTW... you slated for this years Shot Show? I assume you will be doing a shot review just like last year? (Or was that another article I read with you included in it...) </div></div>

Yes, I do plan to be at SHOT, and I will do an overview of all things optical I see there. I am hoping to make that a yearly thing,

ILya