• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High End Tactical, Part IV: The Heavyweights

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2006
    New Mexico
    www.opticsthoughts.com
    Just a quick heads up that I am assembling a line-up for one more High End Tactical article, this time focusing on high magnification scopes with 56mm objective lenses.

I will be starting on it fairly soon and will finish around the end of the year, I think.

So far:

- I've got the Steiner 5-25x56 in hand and will start testing it
    - Premier 5-25x56 should be arriving in September some time
    - Ken Pratt of Khaybes (Kahles importer) will loan me their 6-24x56 for the article later in the fall
    - I sent an e-mail regarding March 5-40x56FFP
    - Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56 may be available to me later in the year

What else can I get my hands on?

- Zeiss/Hensoldt has a 6-24x56, but that one is SFP only. I do not think the new 3.5-25x56 is available yet, but I'll check with Zeiss.
    - Does anyone have a contact at S&B I can talk to? Historically, I have been singularly unable to get anything going with them. Their 5-25x56 would make a good fit for the article, but they seem quite scarce at the moment.

Previous articles in this series:
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

ILya

Re: High End Tactical, Part IV: The Heavyweights

"Shit just got serious..."

looking forward to this!

ILya, if worst comes to worst I can likely loan you a S&B 5-25 and Kahles 6-24.....and I hope a Mark 8 Leupy!
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILya, if worst comes to worst I can likely loan you a S&B 5-25 and Kahles 6-24.....and I hope a Mark 8 Leupy!
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

How many fancy scopes do you have?

I might take you up on that (S&B). I should be able to get my hands on the rest of them by other means.

I am also a little leary of having too many scopes in an article again, so I might limit it to five.

We'll see what responses I get.

ILya

Ilya, I look forward to your review, particularly on the MK 8 and the Steiner 5-25. I enjoyed the material on your website, I hope to see more reviews on it in the future.

Sounds like you are trying to stick with FFP reticle scopes? If not, maybe the NXS 8-32 or 12-42X56 scopes would fit. I'm looking forward to the write-up.

Geb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gebhardt02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you are trying to stick with FFP reticle scopes? If not, maybe the NXS 8-32 or 12-42X56 scopes would fit. I'm looking forward to the write-up.

Geb </div></div>

FFP only this time.

Nightforce's "Beast" would likely make a good fit there, but I do not think it is out yet.

ILya

Looking reaaaal forward to this thread. I've been giving the Steiner a look. Called Chris @ Sport Optics and talked to him about it - he had nothing but good things to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILya, if worst comes to worst I can likely loan you a S&B 5-25 and Kahles 6-24.....and I hope a Mark 8 Leupy!
    laugh.gif
    </div></div> So you've got these scopes and still run the SS 5-20 on your match gun? .....sorry, I know that was off topic....can't wait to see this review ILya!

So looking forward to this!

Your reviews in the past help me decide on the lightweight MARCH, 3-24x42 ffp for my set up, Looking forward to the review and to see how the MARCH FX 5-40x56 ffp stands up to the competition.

All right, a couple of updates:

- It looks like I will be able to borrow a S&B 5-25x56 from another forum member
    - Kelbly's will loan me March 5-40x56FFP in October or thereabouts.

So at the moment, the contestants will be (confirmed):

- Steiner Military 5-25x56
    - Premier Heritage 5-25x56
    - S&B PMII 5-25x56
    - March FX 5-40x56
    - Kahles K624i

Maybe:
    - Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56

It was also brought to my attention that I rudely ignored USO in my original post.

I'll see is I can get my hands on a 5-25x58 USO since it will fit the article well.

This should work out to be a nice apples-to-apples comparison of several scopes with very similar configurations.

ILya

Ilya, please try to get the Leupold Mark 8 in this. Since this scope is so new it would be great to read see it compared to some of the top end scopes.

The ONLY one I am interested in is the new Zeiss ZF 3.5-26x56mm FF , its due out in Nov this year .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    The ONLY one I am interested in is the new Zeiss ZF 3.5-26x56mm FF , its due out in Nov this year .

Later Chris</div></div>

It is rather unlikely that I will get my hands on that one, but I will try.

I am very curious about that scope, since I hope production samples will be better than the one I saw at SHOT.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ilya, please try to get the Leupold Mark 8 in this. Since this scope is so new it would be great to read see it compared to some of the top end scopes. </div></div>

Chances are, I will only be able to get the Mark 8 pretty late in the testing process, so I might not be able to compare it to every other scopes in the line-up, but I will do what I can.

ILya

Dangit, I was about to pull the trigger on an S&B 5x25 but now I feel like I should wait for your article. You think you could finsh the article in the next couple weeks?
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your reviews in the past help me decide on the lightweight MARCH, 3-24x42 ffp for my set up, Looking forward to the review and to see how the MARCH FX 5-40x56 ffp stands up to the competition. </div></div>
    I think (I'm sure) that MarchFX 5-40x56 ffp will be one in many ways(#1) BEST, and now probably in the pricing policy also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Locolife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dangit, I was about to pull the trigger on an S&B 5x25 but now I feel like I should wait for your article. You think you could finsh the article in the next couple weeks?
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

It will take me a while to finish the article, but having seen all of these scopes at one time or another, I can predict that if the features suit you, any one of them will work pretty well. Keep in mind that these are all exceptional scopes. Pretty much the best each one of these manufacturers can make.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    It was also brought to my attention that I rudely ignored USO in my original post.

I'll see is I can get my hands on a 5-25x58 USO since it will fit the article well.

This should work out to be a nice apples-to-apples comparison of several scopes with very similar configurations.

ILya

</div></div>

Make sure you ask about the new USO 5-25 "Long Travel". Dont know if it has officially been released, but would be a good one for your article.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

Make sure you ask about the new USO 5-25 "Long Travel". Dont know if it has officially been released, but would be a good one for your article.</div></div>

I sent a PM to JBW. The only person I have dealt with in the past at USO was Jeff Fertal, but he is no longer there, I think.

I'll see what John says.

ILya

No love for the big IOR scopes out these days? I think they are FFP as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for the big IOR scopes out these days? I think they are FFP as well. </div></div>

IOR makes a 6-24x56FFP that was already included in one of the previous High End Tactical articles I put together.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    </div></div>

Make sure you ask about the new USO 5-25 "Long Travel". Dont know if it has officially been released, but would be a good one for your article.</div></div>

I sent a PM to JBW. The only person I have dealt with in the past at USO was Jeff Fertal, but he is no longer there, I think.

I'll see what John says.

ILya </div></div>

When did Jeff leave?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earlier this year according to the sticky thread "Ongoing changes at US Optics". </div></div>

Missed that one....Thanks.

Looking forward to this.

i have yet to find a >20X that I like, but I haven't used any of these being tested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to this.

i have yet to find a >20X that I like, but I haven't used any of these being tested.</div></div>

I have been looking at the Steiner, since I already have one here. 25x is surprisingly usable. I found that I can read the wind using the mirage notably better at 25x.

ILya

Good to hear more initial positive feedback on the Steiner. The MSR reticle looks really nice to me and if I have problems with the illumination knob interfering with my bolt knob (I'm a lefty) on my S&B 3-20 arriving tomorrow I'll most likely go with the Steiner. Early reports from others have been positive too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to this.

i have yet to find a >20X that I like, but I haven't used any of these being tested.</div></div>

I have been looking at the Steiner, since I already have one here. 25x is surprisingly usable. I found that I can read the wind using the mirage notably better at 25x.

ILya </div></div>

MSR or mil dot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to this.

ILya </div></div>

MSR or mil dot?

</div></div>

MSR

This will be GREAT for all of us who don't have access to these scopes at a retail location. I can't wait to hear about the March and the Kahles.. Rock on Ilya!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your reviews in the past help me decide on the lightweight MARCH, 3-24x42 ffp for my set up, Looking forward to the review and to see how the MARCH FX 5-40x56 ffp stands up to the competition. </div></div>

The same goes for me. The 5-40 will be great for my future long range rig in 7-270WSM. Just recently obtained the 3-24 and everytime I use it the scope impresses me.

Another quick update: I heard back from US Optics and while currently their 5-25x58 loaners are all out somewhere, I will be able to borrow one as soon as it comes back. I do not for sure how the timeline is going to pan out, but I hope to be able to get it into this article.

ILya

^^^ Thank you very much. Both for the articles (just finished skimming them) and for including USO. I saw only one USO scope in all of the articles (may have missed one somewhere?), and was hoping to see more details comparing the 5-25 USO, so above is great news to me!

Great news Ilya, I am looking forward for this review.

Since I pulled the trigger on a March 5-40X56mm just a few weeks ago, without have looked through one, I am curious to see how it compares with the other top dogs on scopes.

From the only travel to the range until now, I am very impressed by the March.

LRCampos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRCampos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Great news Ilya, I am looking forward for this review.

Since I pulled the trigger on a March 5-40X56mm just a few weeks ago, without have looked through one, I am curious to see how it compares with the other top dogs on scopes.

From the only travel to the range until now, I am very impressed by the March.

LRCampos. </div></div>

me too. bought a 5-40 56x a while back because they were available and the S&B pmII 5-25 wasnt and i didnt want to wait. now the 40x has spoiled me. and made my spotting scope redundant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^ Thank you very much. Both for the articles (just finished skimming them) and for including USO. I saw only one USO scope in all of the articles (may have missed one somewhere?), and was hoping to see more details comparing the 5-25 USO, so above is great news to me! </div></div>

You are right, in the previous three articles there was only one USO (3.2-17x44). It was an interesting scope with some strenghts and some weaknesses. Ultimately, I did not like the way the turret box was arranged. Now, with new digital illumination, I suspect that complaint to be resolved and I am curious to see how I like using it.

ILya

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Hey are you going to be able to actually mount them and shoot, or will this be like your first article where they are just an optical comparison?</span></span>

I thought there was one article he wrote (he did several) that the scopes were loaners and he actually said he would have liked to mount them.. But maybe I read wrong..