• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High power setup

armor2111

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2013
Im getting into some high power rifle shooting comps. My tjiughtsnare, I'd like to build both an ar replica upper, and an a2 irons setup. I was in durring the transition of use between the 2, and for nostalgic reasons only I'd like to setup as I was issued. So my main question is, are people using the fn uppers for the collector series? Or are you running something else? I'm not looking for better parts, cheapest parts, etc... depending on the divison, you cant run accurized equipment anyways. They're both basically just HB profile 20 inch, thoughts appreciated

Besides the above mentioned WOA, Compass Lake is another great high power/service rifle oriented business.
Usrifleteams.com has a good High Power forum. Tons of info there. The national match forum gets more traffic than the long range forum there.

If you're talking about NRA and CMP Service Rifle rules, I'm pretty sure you don't understand them.

Nothing you've mentioned is even remotely competitive.

Im getting into some high power rifle shooting comps.... depending on the divison, you cant run accurized equipment anyways.

You must be talking about CMP "As issued" Games under the Modern Military Rifle Class-A (M16 style AR-15)? Because that's not NRA Highpower. Similar competitions, but two completely different animals.

CMP rules:

As long as it is built under the rule and meets the weight limit, it'll work for you in that division.

Last edited:
You must be talking about CMP "As issued" Games under the Modern Military Rifle Class-A (M16 style AR-15)?

Are those rules still a shitshow of undefined allowable and unallowable modifications?

The only thing truly defined is the weight limit....A lot of wailing and thrashing over rules governing the winning of some chintzy hat pins. Skip the "Modern Military" carnival show and get a NM AR-15A2 and shoot CMP or NRA service rifle matches instead.

Last edited:
Yea, I have 2 ranges, 1 does high power rifle as they call it. And another is service rifle competition as they label it. I'm in process of trying to get definitive answers from both, but I'm not looking to build a high end like race gun for this, I have one of those already. I just feel I'd enjoy as close to how I rifle qualled in the Marines under a competition style. Both of these sound like they're along those lines. For me personally I'd like to find proper stamped parts and such over a higher end barrel of floated rail. Just because I haven't shot in that way in awhile now, so I think itd be fun to try and use that setup. Another thing that would help me is to where to find proper parts or know ww1 at stamps and markings are on them.