• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High resolution low light hunting scope.

264win

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    I want to upgrade the scope on my light coyote rifle. This gets used primarily in low light/ or spotlighting at night.
    I have been running a leupold vx3 4.5-14 and it has worked ok, but lacks resolution when trying to pick out / identify animals in low light or under a spotlight.

Ideal would be something similar in size, shape and power, but with better glass.

Appreciate the suggestions.
    That Leica does look good, but I would really like something smaller and with lower profile turrets.
    This isn’t a rifle that I almost ever dial.

I want to upgrade the scope on my light coyote rifle. This gets used primarily in low light/ or spotlighting at night.
    I have been running a leupold vx3 4.5-14 and it has worked ok, but lacks resolution when trying to pick out / identify animals in low light or under a spotlight.

Ideal would be something similar in size, shape and power, but with better glass.
    "Better glass" is going to cost more money, what is your budget? Is your VX3 the VX-3HD 4.5-14x the 50mm or 40mm model?

Low light is almost always going to benefit from a larger objective scope so you'll need to adjust your expectations of staying within the same size as a 50mm objective scope is going to be a big larger than your current 40mm scope. If you don't want to go "larger" for brighter and simply want better glass then "you get what you pay for" is the general rule. If 3x erectors are what you'd like there are still a number of manufacturers who make these but that's not where they're investing in better glass these days.

It appears what you're looking for is a SFP scope and I do not like SFP scopes even for hunting so take my advice with a grain of salt, but you want the best glass in SFP you might look at something like the Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x44

If that's above your budget then maybe the Swarovski Z3 4-12x50

Talk to Doug at @gr8fuldoug (from Cameralandny - a fantastic Hide supporter) and he can help steer you in the right direction...

Yeah, LVPOs will always be disadvantaged in poor lighting conditions due to their tiny objectives

Also, one of the March FX scopes I had in mind has a 42mm objective, the other was ~50mm... depends on your magnification needs

I think I probably didn’t word my initial post very well. I don’t need to improve my light gathering ability, ans much as improve the definition and clarity in low and artificial light.

"Better glass" is going to cost more money, what is your budget? Is your VX3 the VX-3HD 4.5-14x the 50mm or 40mm model?

Low light is almost always going to benefit from a larger objective scope so you'll need to adjust your expectations of staying within the same size as a 50mm objective scope is going to be a big larger than your current 40mm scope. If you don't want to go "larger" for brighter and simply want better glass then "you get what you pay for" is the general rule. If 3x erectors are what you'd like there are still a number of manufacturers who make these but that's not where they're investing in better glass these days.

It appears what you're looking for is a SFP scope and I do not like SFP scopes even for hunting so take my advice with a grain of salt, but you want the best glass in SFP you might look at something like the Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x44

Talk to Doug at @gr8fuldoug (from Cameralandny - a fantastic Hide supporter) and he can help steer you in the right direction...
    Appreciate the reply,
    Both of those optics look like a great fit for my use.
    The Z6 is more than I’m looking to spend but the z3 looks good.

Appreciate the reply,
    Both of those optics look like a great fit for my use.
    The Z6 is more than I’m looking to spend but the z3 looks good.
    The Zeiss V4 is on par with the Swaro Z5i, and ahead of the Z3i. Take a look at them. I have about 4-5 of them on my main hunting rifles...They are excellent scopes for the price. Very bright glass to my eyes. My top-dog main hunting rifle is wearing a Kahles K318i, but that's more than you want to spend, or I would be strongly recommending it.

Contact @Euro.Connor and he might can get you an even better deal on it.

Reactions: 264win

PLUS so many ones on @gr8fuldoug and Cameralandny. I could not agree more on these choices of Swarovski scopes, either.

I think I probably didn’t word my initial post very well. I don’t need to improve my light gathering ability, ans much as improve the definition and clarity in low and artificial light.

Light gathering is exactly what you need. Can't see shit without light.

The larger the objective lens the larger the exit pupil for a given magnification. Larger exit pupil means more light for your eye to look at. Anything less than 2mm gets dark in a hurry.

So if you're using the 4.5-14x40, going to the x50 would give you a little more usable time.

Read all the fine print on the light transmission also. Lots of manufacturers advertise 99.9%! While that may be true for every lens, I haven't seen one yet that measured more than 94% through the entire scope. Most everything is fairly equal here, as the coatings and lens count to give us the feature set we want will knock a little light out no matter what.

Definition and clarity you're going to pay for. There no way around it. Bigger the budget the better they'll get, with diminishing returns once you're above $3-4k.
    Key there is it has to work with your eyes. What works for you may not be the best for your friends and vice versa.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Thank you for the clarification. Yes, better glass will get you better color, contrast and resolution, but whether you think it is better can be subjective. If you're able to get to a shop that might carry Swaro and the like and take them outside in the evening may give you a better idea for what your eye likes, just make sure you adjust the diopter to your eye ahead of time.

Reactions: 264win