• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

high volume case preparation question??

njnicky

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Hillsdale,new jersey
Hello Hide,

I currently sell brass, bullets, and steel targets. Business is good but I am now looking to that next level. I am getting alot of requests for sorted and processed brass, they dont mind paying the extra if part of the job is done for them. I would like to continue to offer my current mixed once fired but also offer processed. What I want to know is what machine or system anyone on the hide has used to crank large volumes brass. from cleaning to the resizing, decap, and trim. thanks boys!

Re: high volume case preparation question??

I have a Dillon 650 with one of these, http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content...0B_Case_Trimmer , on it. As fast as I pull the lever trimmed brass pops out.

I still have to swage primer pockets as the next step.

If you are wanting to make money at it I would opt for the Dillon 1050 as primer pocket swaging is done on the machine and not as a separate step.

I am sure there is a commercial option, but this is what I know about.

thanks buddy sounds good, I have heard about the 1050, a few buddies recomended it. I'm doing all my homework now, I would like to get something that is automated and mechanized, i also need a cleaning solution.

As someone that strives FOR precision in my reloading, the last thing I'd want is brass that's been re-sized "generically", and not to fit my chamber with the correct "bump" and neck tension.

Why would anyone want to buy brass that's already been "halfway" through the reloading process... what am I missing?

Is this for range pistol brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what am I missing?
</div></div>

I think you're missing the fact someone wants to make money,

Off of us!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As someone that strives FOR precision in my reloading, the last thing I'd want is brass that's been re-sized "generically", and not to fit my chamber with the correct "bump" and neck tension.

Why would anyone want to buy brass that's already been "halfway" through the reloading process... what am I missing?

Is this for range pistol brass? </div></div>

Yeah, I wouldn't resize for people, I think that is a bad idea.

But I think doing most or all other things can be a viable service.

Decapping
Stainless steel media cleaning
Annealing with a real annealing station
Swage primer pockets if necessary
Flash hole reaming
Primer pocket uniforming

IMHO resizing for people is bad idea, everything else great.

I dont know if it would be worth it for you to take that next step into processing brass without some help(or maybe you have some kids). If you want to do a large volume no matter what machines you use it takes time. I would go with a dillon 1050 but I would not use their trimmer, I would run them all through a giraud trimmer after I was done.

Doing pistol brass, Dillon carbide dies rock. Doing rifle brass, I'd advise using a small base resizing die so that the brass will fit all rifles...semi or bolt. The first stuck case with resized brass will start a downgrade of your reputation. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoFail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As someone that strives FOR precision in my reloading, the last thing I'd want is brass that's been re-sized "generically", and not to fit my chamber with the correct "bump" and neck tension.

Is this for range pistol brass? </div></div>

Yeah, I wouldn't resize for people, I think that is a bad idea.

But I think doing most or all other things can be a viable service.

Decapping
Stainless steel media cleaning
Annealing with a real annealing station
Swage primer pockets if necessary
Flash hole reaming
Primer pocket uniforming

IMHO resizing for people is bad idea, everything else great. </div></div>

Thanks no fail, makes a whole lot of sense, this is why i run things through the hide, have a great day.

I agree with the comments about not wanting someone else to size the brass for me. However, if I could get brass that had the following prep work done, It might entice me to pay someone else to do the work:

clean the brass
trim to length, de-burr outside, and inside with a VLD de-burring tool
swage primer pockets if necessary
uniform primer pockets
de-burr flash hole
uniform flash holes if necessary (it is necessary on Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass)
anneal the brass as a last step, so I can see the anneal on the cases

I use a drill that I clamp into a vice with the tool running on the drill. I do hundreds of cases at a time when I'm doing large quantities. Recently, I did 700 Lake city Match 308 cases..

If you are doing it commercially, I think the Giraud trimmer, Giraud annealing unit would be the way to go. Depending on how large a quantity of brass you are working, you could use something similar to a cement mixer setup to tumble the cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the comments about not wanting someone else to size the brass for me. However, if I could get brass that had the following prep work done, It might entice me to pay someone else to do the work:

clean the brass
trim to length, de-burr outside, and inside with a VLD de-burring tool
swage primer pockets if necessary
uniform primer pockets
de-burr flash hole
uniform flash holes if necessary (it is necessary on Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass)
anneal the brass as a last step, so I can see the anneal on the cases

I use a drill that I clamp into a vice with the tool running on the drill. I do hundreds of cases at a time when I'm doing large quantities. Recently, I did 700 Lake city Match 308 cases..

If you are doing it commercially, I think the Giraud trimmer, Giraud annealing unit would be the way to go. Depending on how large a quantity of brass you are working, you could use something similar to a cement mixer setup to tumble the cases.

</div></div>

got it buddy sounds like cleaning is a must, swaging crimps, and annealing. I have done everything you have said except annealing so that will be a learning process for me.