• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Higher End .243 hunter recomendation needed

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
I need a recommendation for a good quality .243 hunting rifle. Something like a Sako or Kimber. It is for an elderly lady to give to her only son as a house warming present. Factory only. Factory ammo only. Something pretty. To be used for hunting in PA. $2000 cap. Thanks.

Cabelas recent ad had two light weight classic Model 70s on sale, one in .257 Roberts the other a 7x57. The 257 Roberts would fit your bill and these were nice looking guns for around $1400. Love the 7x57 but you have to reload to get it up to snuff.

I am not sure the cost but some of the Steyr SBS rifles (the wood ones at least) are pretty sharp. They make a bunch of calibers in them.

I also have to second the Win 70 featherweights too. I have a couple and they are nice

Since you said something pretty I guess I'm thinking a rifle with a wood stock?? If that's the case one to consider is a Kimber 84M Classic Select Grade .243. I've seen a few of those with same dang nice wood on them. Or if it was me I'd sure be looking for a nice Sako 85 Classic in .243. That would be my 1st choice hands down!!

Ditto on the Winchester model 70. Check out the super grade. My 6 month old son wants one in 30-06 badly, lol.

TC Icon. Good deals available on the high lustre blue/walnut stock model.

ya know i would kind of go the other way with a savage, rem 700, or howa.

then put a higher grade optic on it, upgraded stock, etc.

for a hunting rifle here in pa, any one of the above 3 is more than plenty to get the job done +1.

for $2,000 you can get a whole package (rifle, optic, base, rings, pod, sling, maybe enough room for an upgraded hunting profile stock) and still place rounds side by side out to 500Y if need be.

other than a bolt, it's pretty hard to beat a lever 35 rem or 30/30, or a .3006 rem pump in the pa woods though....sort of goes hand in hand.

Last edited: