• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Higher End Fixed Parallax SFP Hunting Scope Options

backwatch

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
Chesapeake, Va
I have a Browning BAR Mk 3 in .243 that I’m setting up for a very specific type of hunting. It currently has a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 on it but I’m not very impressed with it for what it costs. I’ve also decided that side focus parallax is not something I want on this gun. Second focal plane is also a must. I’ve been leaning heavily toward the Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42. I like the Firedot reticle and 2x for closer shots, and the exposed turret if I want to dial and take a longer shot. I also just recently found the Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these scopes compare to my current one? Other ones similar to what I’m looking for that I’m missing?

Last edited:
Do you have a budget?

Do you care if MOA or Mil?

I'll throw out the S&B TPolar if neither is an issue.

My VX-6 and Z5 did not hold/maintain zero with extended dialing. YMMV

A used Leica Magnus, if you can find one, is also phenomenal.

IMO the Swaros are the best there are for something like that. They’re light, damn tough, have amazing glass, and their mil BDC reticles are actually really nice and work great.

I’ve owned some VX6’s and would 100% buy a swaro over them.

Reactions: backwatch
Do you have a budget?

Do you care if MOA or Mil?

I'll throw out the S&B TPolar if neither is an issue.

My VX-6 and Z5 did not hold/maintain zero with extended dialing. YMMV

A used Leica Magnus, if you can find one, is also phenomenal.
I prefer Mil, no real budget. The TPolar looks like everything I need, but I haven’t been able to find one in stock anywhere. I suppose I’ll keep on the lookout, thanks for your help!

I have a Browning BAR Mk 3 in .243 that I’m setting up for a very specific type of hunting. It currently has a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 on it but I’m not very impressed with it for what it costs. I’ve also decided that side focus parallax is not something I want on this gun. Second focal plane is also a must. I’ve been leaning heavily toward the Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42. I like the Firedot reticle and 2x for closer shots, and the exposed turret if I want to dial and take a longer shot. I also just recently found the Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these scopes compare to my current one? Other ones similar to what I’m looking for that I’m missing?
If you didn't like the Razor HD LHT, I'd steer clear of Leupold entirely... They're not even as good as any of the Razor line, despite what fanboys will try to feed you. Look towards Swaro, Zeiss, S&B Klassik, etc...

If you didn't like the Razor HD LHT, I'd steer clear of Leupold entirely... They're not even as good as any of the Razor line, despite what fanboys will try to feed you. Look towards Swaro, Zeiss, S&B Klassik, etc...
Does this make you a vortex fanboy then?

And I thought the razor LHT line had issues

Does this make you a vortex fanboy then?

And I thought the razor LHT line had issues
Nope, I do own a few Vortex's still (most have been sold or replaced with something better), I'm just saying that Leupold is inferior in every way when it comes to quality and technological advancements, when compared to the Razor line of scopes. Leupold might try to make something look newer, but it's still the same old Fudd technology. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a TRULY revolutionized Leupold, where they took everything they knew, threw it out the window, and started completely from scratch utilizing all the best aspects of every top-tier scope on the market. But I doubt they ever will. Quite a few other companies need to do this, as well... But we all know they probably won't. Staying in that comfort bubble where it's warm and familiar vs. throwing yourself to the wolves. The problem is, if you never get out of that comfort bubble, you never expand...As a person, a company, or a product line.

Leupold used to have the best CS in the industry...For decades. Then Vortex came along and dropped a MOAB on everyone with their no questions VIP warrant and amazing above & beyond CS. Now I've heard stories posted up on here recently that Leupy was giving customers issues with CS warranties and stuff and not wanting to warranty a product claiming it was "too old for them to fix". So, apparently they're struggling in that department now, too.

As for issues with the LHT line, I have no idea. Don't claim to know. Never owned one. Just giving my $0.02... And if that's worth someone to you, take it, if not...Move along. No harm, no foul.

Reactions: backwatch
I have several Swarovski scopes and I like every single one of them.
I am in the process of building a rifle and am going to buy THIS ONE for it. SFP, MIL, I like the BRH and BRX reticle for most hunting situations I find myself in.