• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hiking poles

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Just curious what the hide posters like and recommend for climbing and cross country hiking poles.

Thanks

Leki poles. Just did a couple days and easily couple thousand feet of both climbing and descending in Big Bend. Had 45-50# pack on and poles made it easier to secure footing with lots of rock and log ledges to negotiate. Telescoping absolutely essential, much as you’d set up your rifle to fit for function. Only needed one pole, some prefer two. Would not do a serious hike/pack without ‘em.

I use collapsible leki’s, but there are others that would work just as well. I prefer two poles for stability. Also makes for a good shooting platform with two.

I’ve always just used a stick or something, but as my knees go to never work right again land, this question has been on my mind.

Curious to see if there’s a consensus.

I use black diamond, dont leave the rig without em. Get rubber feet if going in rocky terrain.

Reactions: Havoc_1_Actual
    I'm not a fan of cork handles, they absorb blood and get shitty. FWIW

Great thread. I was wondering this same thing for an upcoming mule deer hunt.

Also a 100 foot of para cord weighs nothing and can come in very handy. Especially if you hunt solo. Learn a few basic knots and you can hoist a carcass in minutes.

I have Leki and Black Diamond. My favorites are older version of these. I really can't hike without them anymore. Both BD and Leki use a core locking device (Kevlar cable) that makes for speedy deployment and collapse. I use the telescoping feature frequently adjusting the poles longer for descents and shorter for climbs. Ski mountaineering I have adjusted the poles shorter on the up hill side for long traverses.

For ultra light and simplicity in an urban setting I use the fixed length BDs. HERE

Rasyad

Reactions: RTH1800
    I bought a pair from Costco. I'm on my 4th year training for and competing in the SAC with them. I suppose they have 800-900 miles on them by now. I keep expecting them to fail, but they just keep going.

I have old Leki poles that have been a lot of places.
    They collapse small on my pack if not needed. They use a twist lock that can fail under too much pressure (80+ lbs). This has been easily mitigated with maintenance.

I use Black diamond carbon flick lock poles for skiing. Very light. Very durable. If I did more big back country hunts I would look into their 3 section carbon. 3 young kids so I hunt close to home when i can.

I designed and sewed a femur traction device for myself that uses one of these poles in an emergency.
    Plus they save your knees on brutal downhills.

I race 100 mile+ mountain ultra marathons and prefer Black Diamond Carbon Z poles. They have taken a beating, are very light, and I really like the carbide tips.

Reactions: Diver160651
    I race 100 mile+ mountain ultra marathons and prefer Black Diamond Carbon Z poles. They have taken a beating, are very light, and I really like the carbide tips.
    These are the best 10oz for a pair — pack tiny when you are running and make great tent poles

Reactions: mrgreyman
    If you can just try some on with your wrist correctly through the loops and make sure there aren’t any aspects of the loop or grip that bug you.