• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hiring. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Machinist positions available at LongRifles, Inc.

Apply in person.

Competitive pay
    Health/Dental
    OT
    Dynamic/Fast pace
    Cutting edge facility.

If your a clock watcher, this is not the place for you. Be neat, be organized, and leave the drama at the door. Were still a small shop that's growing at a malignant pace.

Keep your cell phone on "single shot" instead of "3 round burst" and we'll get along fine.

Shop provides 99.9% of tools. Your welcome to bring some, but you'll be using shop resources for the majority of your work.
    No drugs, no bad stuff on a record. We work in guns. Gotta have a clean record.

Awesome to hear that you guys are growing, I love the work you guys do.

Good luck in your hiring process! Good machinists are tough to find these days.

I'd love to. However, I don't think I could bring myself to live in Sturgis.

Oh, and that whole knowing how to do more than make a big rod into a smaller rod requirement may disqualify me.

Good luck! Figured I'd at least bump this up for you.

"I'd love to. However, I don't think I could bring myself to live in Sturgis"

To me Sturgis is the kind of place you end up not set out to find. I don't mean that in a bad way. Judging by the population is doesn't look like many kids stay there when they leave high school.

To me Sturgis is the kind of place you end up not set out to find. I don't mean that in a bad way. Judging by the population is doesn't look like many kids stay there when they leave high school.

By and large its a "Mayberry" town interrupted by an annual "T shirt festival for old guys and 25 year old chicks suffering Daddy issues. " (what I call the bike rally) The Rally has its influence in almost everything that goes on here. Not a bad thing, but its a bit odd to see a town of 7800 people sporting over 30 places to eat, over 20+ bars (that I can count off top of my head, bear in mind 70% of em are closed for 48 weeks a year which is pretty lame, but I get it.) and yada, yada. Businesses engaged in manufacturing are often given a queer look as most have zero clue how heavy the firearms industry presence is here.

Not a bad place to live. City does an ok job of taking care of stuff around town. They've gotten a whole lot better over the last 10 years. We have turned into a "sancturary city" for DRMO auctions. All of our snow removal equipment is a SAC base, cold war flashback. (I grew up on SAC bases, so seeing snow blowers that'll throw a 200' roost is nothing new)

Schools are pretty decent for the most part here in town. Rapid City is pretty hit or miss. There's the share of teenage idiots, but thats anywhere. We were all just as dumb, (me x2).

-on that note, if your over 40 years old, you should dig up graduation photos of your PARENTS and show it to the boys. That's what they look like. (lol).

It wasn't my top 5 list, but its still a decent place. I could have bounced after my Baghdad sabbatical, but I elected to stay and start a shop. Were dug in like a tick now.

If you want away from people in masses, its still one of the few spots left.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Field
    Nothing wrong with living at the end of the road if you are happy living at the end of the road. My wife is from a place comparable to Sturgis. 99% of the kids that grow up there leave after high school. The town has nothing to offer beyond working F&B or the paper mill. The paper mill pays pretty good but employment demand is low. Looking at Sturgis real estate prices I can't imagine a family making less than 100-150K a year surviving there unless their family gives them some land and a house. Maybe find a drifter . Someone trying to hide. Your best bet may be swallowing your pride and just writing the programs and sending the work out to a competent job shop. Trying to grow your business with local labor seems frutal to me.

Love the cell phone comment, when I catch them on them too much I say "let's see pics of her" when they have nothing to show I tell them to put it away.

I've been through Sturgis many times. Have a farm in Carthage (that's a real small dot).

It's a nice place, but turning the town upside down for 3 weeks is when I'd be on vacation

"I've been through Sturgis many times. Have a farm in Carthage (that's a real small dot).
    It's a nice place, but turning the town upside down for 3 weeks is when I'd be on vacation"

That 3 weeks is when 99% of the businesses there justify their existence. Beyond that 3 weeks it is a dead end town. I am surprised Chad was able to find affordable electricity to run his machines. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the only one in town with 3P. I have no reason to wish Chad anything but the best but I think he is in the wrong place to grow!
    http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/posts/7751560/react?reaction_id=1

Western SD in the smaller towns surrounding Rapid City are actually pretty friendly for manufacturing and the firearms industry. Within about a 40 mile stretch you have HS Precision, Black Hills Ammunition, Dakota Custom Rifles (By extension, Remington's Custom shop I believe), Mack Bro's Machining (make a lot of Badger widgets/actions, and their own silencers), Lane Silencers, K&P Barrels, Cor-bon is (was?? haven't kept up on them) there, and so was ultramax before they burned down. I'm sure a few others I've forgotten. So it's not a total black hole, but there are limitations on what you can get (locally) and how fast. And the local government is full-retard about tourism, between Deadwood, Sturgis, Rushmore, the parks, etc...

I don't know if I'd care to live in Sturgis, necessarily, but towns north and south of there aren't bad, if you can afford the gas to commute.

Reactions: mudpig
    No SD income tax is nice.

Looks like a 1-bedroom apartment goes for ~$550/mo around Sturgis, depending.

Current fuel price is a dime a gallon less than the national average.

How're those winters? :) I've never been through there with all that white stuff on the ground.

Other stats:
    Sturgis.jpg

My wife is from the Stugis area. I lived in Rapid Coty for 8 years. We wouldn't mind moving back there. But I'm not a machinist.

This last winter was pretty tough for them.

My wife is from the Stugis area. I lived in Rapid Coty for 8 years. We wouldn't mind moving back there. But I'm not a machinist.

This last winter was pretty tough for them.

I lived in RC for 12 years. I'd move back in a nanosecond if I could

I'll have to wait on SD till at least my next set of dogs or the one after the next set, my current ones wouldn't do well in all that cold.

do you have to know what you are doing? If not, I would be ideal for this job

"I've been through Sturgis many times. Have a farm in Carthage (that's a real small dot).
    It's a nice place, but turning the town upside down for 3 weeks is when I'd be on vacation"

That 3 weeks is when 99% of the businesses there justify their existence. Beyond that 3 weeks it is a dead end town. I am surprised Chad was able to find affordable electricity to run his machines. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the only one in town with 3P. I have no reason to wish Chad anything but the best but I think he is in the wrong place to grow!
    http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/posts/7751560/react?reaction_id=1

Dakota Arms
    Remington Custom Shop
    Mac Bros
    Horizon Machine (A lot of Badger's manufacturing goes on here)
    LRI
    Nesika Bay Precision
    Barstow Precision
    Bruce Bowen

There's a lot more going on here than most realize. These are all my neighbors within 500 yards of where I'm typing this. Being "off the grid" has its advantages. . .

No SD income tax is nice.

Looks like a 1-bedroom apartment goes for ~$550/mo around Sturgis, depending.

Current fuel price is a dime a gallon less than the national average.

How're those winters? :) I've never been through there with all that white stuff on the ground.

Other stats:
    View attachment 7084001

Winter. It's a bipolar sociopath...

I've seen 80+ temperature swings in December. That is no shit. 2008. I was flying an RC place in 78*F temps till 2 in the afternoon. I was snow blowing my driveway later that evening.

We had 18" of snow last WEEK. Two days of 70-78, and now "Cambodian Monsoon." It's rained 2.5 days straight. There are still 2' piles of snow in parking lots. I've not been able to mow my yard yet this year, I can see Raptors and T Rex's running around in the grass.

Almost forgot, we had quarter size hail on Sunday as well.

You deal with it, but its a good idea to keep a radar active on your phone and at least one eyeball skyward. X2 if driving anything you give a shit about.

Reactions: dirtdigger300
    Worst Hail storm I ever witnessed was in the Deadwood area.
    Golfball plus sized.
    Riders were coming in and caught out in it.

R

Reactions: LRI
    All my family is from RC and still have a few this side of the dirt there. Great place and would love to go and stay. Looked into Dakota Arms right after my last sand box tour, but didn't have the qualifications needed.....(that's about the time they took up the Remington custom shop.

Winter. It's a bipolar sociopath...

I've seen 80+ temperature swings in December. That is no shit. 2008. I was flying an RC place in 78*F temps till 2 in the afternoon. I was snow blowing my driveway later that evening.

We had 18" of snow last WEEK. Two days of 70-78, and now "Cambodian Monsoon." It's rained 2.5 days straight. There are still 2' piles of snow in parking lots. I've not been able to mow my yard yet this year, I can see Raptors and T Rex's running around in the grass.

Almost forgot, we had quarter size hail on Sunday as well.

You deal with it, but its a good idea to keep a radar active on your phone and at least one eyeball skyward. X2 if driving anything you give a shit about.

Ken Johnson has told me stories about his days in New Rockford(ND), Rapid City, and over in Raton. Weather is definitely not the areas strong point unless you like high performance kite flying.

Ken Johnson has told me stories about his days in New Rockford(ND), Rapid City, and over in Raton. Weather is definitely not the areas strong point unless you like high performance kite flying.

I've woken up to 12" of snow July 15th, it was 75* that afternoon.

I've also went to bed at -40*, woken up to +40".

Who doesn't like a bit of variety?