• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JLTX

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
North Texas
I would love to learn from those more knowledgeable than me views on the HK VP9L. I am an unabashed HK 9mm fan (own VP9, P30, USP and SP5), please do not hold that against me. Current premium of $225 over the current VP9. Question for the experts here, does the extra length, plus 3 20 rd mags and barrel changes (USP O-ring added) equate to a superior shooting experience? Thank you!

Question for the experts here, does the extra length, plus 3 20 rd mags and barrel changes (USP O-ring added) equate to a superior shooting experience? Thank you!
No....... 0.9" in length does not make any metric based experience superior. Don't understand the magazine and barrel change swoosh either. Dilly dilly.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I'd opt for a long slide kit preferably optic ready cut by Hk.

I had the LS kit, sold it and replaced with the OR LS. I felt the optic enhanced my target acquisition speed with my first time trying a pistol optic. As for 20 round mags im ok with 17. Its a nice system but nice to swap it back to functional form when i want to.

Fwiw I shoot ppqs, which are very similar. I shoot considerably better with the 5” ppq than the standard length (4” I think, don’t remember for sure). Whether that’s due to sight radius, balance, felt recoil or some combination I can’t say for sure, but the long side sure works better for me.

I'm the opposite it seems, I had a P30L and standard and shot it better to me. Perhaps it was just switching
from standard to LEM not sure. I do have a TB on my VP9 and both standard and TB are the same to me.

Last edited:
I sold my long slide kit, didn’t think it shot any better. My VP9 wears night sights and a light for home defense. I have a suppressed G17 with a red dot as a range toy. The long slide kit for the VP9 was really HK cool (as Shit!) but not worth having that much money invested in for me.

Reactions: JLTX and mewillis
This variant should have been offered from the beginning. Competition shooters want as long a sight radius as possible, important for the longer range shots that sometimes need to be taken amongst other things.

This is great feedback, thank you for taking the time to educate me with your experiences.

I would love to learn from those more knowledgeable than me views on the HK VP9L. I am an unabashed HK 9mm fan (own VP9, P30, USP and SP5), please do not hold that against me. Current premium of $225 over the current VP9. Question for the experts here, does the extra length, plus 3 20 rd mags and barrel changes (USP O-ring added) equate to a superior shooting experience? Thank you!
Can you define what a superior shooting experience means to you? Context would help too.

Do you intend to use this pistol as a fun range toy? Are you going to carry it? Do you plan to compete with it? Are you planning on adding a reflex sight to it or are you just going to use iron sights?

What I can tell you from personal experience is this:

Sight radius has become irrelevant to a lot of people with the rise of slide-mounted optics in USPSA and IDPA, and to a lesser degree in defensive shooting.

Interestingly, I find that my compact pistols (CZ P-07 and P-10C) have slightly less muzzle rise during recoil and much less muzzle dip when the slide slams into battery than their full size counterparts (P-09, P-10F). It's simple physics, and having a reflex (aka red dot) sight along with a lot of trigger time makes it easy for me to see the difference.

Unless you have some obscure brand, recoil behavior can be adjusted to some degree with recoil spring rate changes regardless of slide length.

Last edited:
I bought the long slide kit itself instead of a complete new pistol. Supposedly the o-ring is what makes it really desirable, but I've never had trouble with the standard barrel. Though I'm a certified HK fan-boy I can't really see the whole benefit of the long slide. I would opt for a slide with the RMR cuts personally. That is, unless you needed an excuse to buy a new HK or two

The Walther PPQ M2 is a dimensional clone of the P30 & VP9. I have thousands of rounds thru these and I actually prefer the Walther Except For the M2 variant regressed to a cross magazine catch release, whereas the M1 versions had ambidextrous paddle magazine releases (ala HK style) which I prefer in these patterns of pistols. Some complain about the geometry of the P30 trigger v. trigger guard resulting a trigger finger "pinching"
Walther PPQ M2 HK VP9 P30 Comparison Annotated 2 copy.jpg
Walther PPQ M2 HK VP9 P30 Comparison Annotated copy.jpg

Reactions: JLTX
Can you define what a superior shooting experience means to you? Context would help too.

Do you intend to use this pistol as a fun range toy? Are you going to carry it? Do you plan to compete with it? Are you planning on adding a reflex sight to it or are you just going to use iron sights?

What I can tell you from personal experience is this:

Sight radius has become irrelevant to a lot of people with the rise of slide-mounted optics in USPSA and IDPA, and to a lesser degree in defensive shooting.

Interestingly, I find that my compact pistols (CZ P-07 and P-10C) have slightly less muzzle rise during recoil and much less muzzle dip when the slide slams into battery than their full size counterparts (P-09, P-10F). It's simple physics, and having a reflex (aka red dot) sight along with a lot of trigger time makes it easy for me to see the difference.

Unless you have some obscure brand, recoil behavior can be adjusted to some degree with recoil spring rate changes regardless of slide length.

Thank you. Context: I have quite a few HK 9mm, I wanted to see if the premium for this long slide version of the VP9 would make a noticeable difference in my ability to reacquire a target quickly. I am incredibly pleased with my current VP9 and USP, but per above wanted to see if the extra $$$ would be well spent. I will not be carrying it (too big), nor will I be competing with it (not good enough, I have seen videos with you guys, hats off to you!). I have never used a reflex sight with a handgun and do not see myself purchasing one in the future. I would rather budget that $$ for my rifles. It will be used as an occasional range “toy” and rest in a convenient spot at home in case I can not get to a rifle for home defense.

Great insight by everyone, thank you!

Very nice, can not even imagine what that is going for now. Like the Microtech as well!

Thank you. Context: I have quite a few HK 9mm, I wanted to see if the premium for this long slide version of the VP9 would make a noticeable difference in my ability to reacquire a target quickly. I am incredibly pleased with my current VP9 and USP, but per above wanted to see if the extra $$$ would be well spent. I will not be carrying it (too big), nor will I be competing with it (not good enough, I have seen videos with you guys, hats off to you!). I have never used a reflex sight with a handgun and do not see myself purchasing one in the future. I would rather budget that $$ for my rifles. It will be used as an occasional range “toy” and rest in a convenient spot at home in case I can not get to a rifle for home defense.

Great insight by everyone, thank you!

I would recommend you either save your money or spend it on something else.

I don't know how interested you are in being really proficient with handguns, so bear with me here if this is of no interest to you now. Maybe what I say will change your mind on two handgun topics: competition and reflex sights.

TLDR: Start competing in USPSA pistol matches and put red dots on your pistols.

My primary reason for having handguns is for self defense, particularly when away from home. The reasons handguns are superior to rifles as an every day defensive weapon are obvious and numerous and I won't rehash that here.

Unfortunately handguns are the most difficult type of firearm to become proficient and, more importantly, remain proficient with. That means that handguns demand the most of your time, attention, and skill to be good with. And if I am going to depend on one to defend myself or my loved ones with, while causing no unintended harm to innocents who may be around, I have a responsibility to be as proficient as I can possibly be with a handgun in my hands. There are other tactical and technical aspects of self defense that don't involve any weapons and we should also be proficient in them but that's not the subject now so I'll ignore them.

The way that many people gain skill with a handgun is flawed in my opinion. They may or may not attend some training class. Some are training whores and will spend thousands and thousands chasing the celebrity trainers du jour around. Then what do they do after training? Most people either do nothing, or they limit themselves to mostly static drills in either indoor ranges where drawing from a holster is prohibited and movement is impossible or if they have access to an outdoor range where movement and draws (dynamic shooting, I'll call it) are allowed, they probably repeat the same set of drills over and over and over. Most people don't hold themselves accountable using a shot timer, either. It takes a ton of self discipline to practice on your own the way one should and IME it gets boring quick.

Formal practical pistol competition (IDPA and USPSA) are not training. Nor are they practice for skills like clearing houses, de-escalating conflicts, etc etc etc. What they are (USPSA in particular) is intense tests of your practical marksmanship skills under severe time and mental pressure. USPSA practical shooting, due to its freestyle philosophy, does not dictate in general how you are to solve a particular shooting problem. You are free to add tactical movement any way you see fit, or not. Not only are they that, but they have match results and standard exercises (classifiers) that you can easily use to measure your skill. You also get to meet a lot of like minded people very quickly, which can lead to practice/training partners and other social benefits.

The people who stupidly say that "competition will get you killed in the streets because bad habits" seem to ignore that the Army Marksmanship Unit maintains an action pistol team for a reason beyond competition, and that several high level competitors came to USPSA while they were on active duty in some of the most elite military units we have (Ernest Landgon and Frank Proctor are two who come to mind).

Now let me tackle the self-defeating "I'm not good enough" thought/attitude. What IS being good enough to go compete? Since I am a competitor, I think I know. You just need to be a safe gun handler. THAT IS IT. Moving your finger completely out of the trigger guard when your pistol is not being actively aimed and fired needs to be instinctual. You need to be able to manipulate your handgun (draw, load, unload, reload, and fix basic malfunctions) competently and while maintaining control of your muzzle's direction. Competently doesn't mean rapidly. It means that you know how to do those actions purposefully, effectively, and safely. And you need to follow some really basic directions from the Range Officer who will follow you as you shoot a stage. That's it. All of those basics will be covered during the new shooter briefing that happens at every match. Additionally, when the match starts you should tell the Range Officer responsible for your squad that you're a new shooter and you will be helped to remain safe and have a good time. We do this for fun too, since none of us gets paid to shoot.

As far as gear, here is what you need to get started.
  1. A 9 mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP handgun, preferably something with 15 rounds or more of magazine capacity
  2. A holster that is designed to fit the handgun. OWB, IWB, AIWB are all OK in USPSA
  3. A belt meant for carrying a pistol. Your everyday carry belt will do just fine.
  4. A minimum of two magazine carriers
  5. A minimum of three magazines
  6. Eye and hearing protection
I bet you have all of that right now.

I've gone on long enough so this is all I will say about pistol-mounted reflex sights: they are game changers and force multipliers. The higher your stress level when you have to shoot a pistol, the more the red dot sight helps you. The farther the shot, the more the red dot sight helps you. Red dot sights on pistols make target transitions, either laterally or distance wise, much easier and faster. Red dot sights make shooting on the move easier. And once you're past the short learning curve of using one, even close shots can be take much faster than you can with irons. All of those benefits/improvements are magnified once you reach middle age and presbyopia (the hardening of the optical lens in your eyes) begins to happen and you begin to lose your ability to focus on near objects like the front sight of your pistol. And make no mistake, presbyopia happens to everyone. It may start at different ages, and it may progress at a different rate, but it's just another inevitable part of aging and it's independent of your visual acuity.

With a reflex sight, all your eyes need to do is look at the target. You absolutely never, ever, try to focus on the dot. You can get away with focusing on the dot with a rifle, even though you would be much faster and equally accurate if you focused on the target, but focusing on the dot on a handgun will make you extremely slow and that's the mistake most people have made when they claim "I'm faster with iron sights".

Anyway, sorry for the book. Hope you find some of it useful.

Last edited:

I don't know how interested you are in being really proficient with handguns, so bear with me here if this is of no interest to you now. Maybe what I say will change your mind on two handgun topics: competition and reflex sights.

My primary reason for having handguns is for self defense, particularly when away from home. The reasons handguns are superior to rifles as an every day defensive weapon are obvious and numerous and I won't rehash that here.

Unfortunately handguns are the most difficult type of firearm to become proficient and, more importantly, remain proficient with. That means that handguns demand the most of your time, attention, and skill to be good with. And if I am going to depend on one to defend myself or my loved ones with, while causing no unintended harm to innocents who may be around, I have a responsibility to be as proficient as I can possibly be with a handgun in my hands. There are other tactical and technical aspects of self defense that don't involve any weapons and we should also be proficient in them but that's not the subject now so I'll ignore them.

The way that many people gain skill with a handgun is flawed in my opinion. They may or may not attend some training class. Some are training whores and will spend thousands and thousands chasing the celebrity trainers du jour around. Then what do they do after training? Most people either do nothing, or they limit themselves to mostly static drills in either indoor ranges where drawing from a holster is prohibited and movement is impossible or if they have access to an outdoor range where movement and draws (dynamic shooting, I'll call it) are allowed, they probably repeat the same set of drills over and over and over. Most people don't hold themselves accountable using a shot timer, either. It takes a ton of self discipline to practice on your own the way one should and IME it gets boring quick.

Formal practical pistol competition (IDPA and USPSA) are not training. Nor are they practice for skills like clearing houses, de-escalating conflicts, etc etc etc. What they are (USPSA in particular) is intense tests of your practical marksmanship skills under severe time and mental pressure. USPSA practical shooting, due to its freestyle philosophy, does not dictate in general how you are to solve a particular shooting problem. You are free to add tactical movement any way you see fit, or not. Not only are they that, but they have match results and standard exercises (classifiers) that you can easily use to measure your skill. You also get to meet a lot of like minded people very quickly, which can lead to practice/training partners and other social benefits.

The people who stupidly say that "competition will get you killed in the streets because bad habits" seem to ignore that the Army Marksmanship Unit maintains an action pistol team for a reason beyond competition, and that several high level competitors came to USPSA while they were on active duty in some of the most elite military units we have (Ernest Landgon and Frank Proctor are two who come to mind).

Now let me tackle the self-defeating "I'm not good enough" thought/attitude. What IS being good enough to go compete? Since I am a competitor, I think I know. You just need to be a safe gun handler. THAT IS IT. Moving your finger completely out of the trigger guard when your pistol is not being actively aimed and fired needs to be instinctual. You need to be able to manipulate your handgun (draw, load, unload, reload, and fix basic malfunctions) competently and while maintaining control of your muzzle's direction. Competently doesn't mean rapidly. It means that you know how to do those actions purposefully, effectively, and safely. And you need to follow some really basic directions from the Range Officer who will follow you as you shoot a stage. That's it. All of those basics will be covered during the new shooter briefing that happens at every match. Additionally, when the match starts you should tell the Range Officer responsible for your squad that you're a new shooter and you will be helped to remain safe and have a good time. We do this for fun too, since none of us gets paid to shoot.

1. A 9 mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP handgun, preferably something with 15 rounds or more of magazine capacity
  2. A holster that is designed to fit the handgun. OWB, IWB, AIWB are all OK in USPSA
  3. A belt meant for carrying a pistol. Your everyday carry belt will do just fine.

I've gone on long enough so this is all I will say about pistol-mounted reflex sights: they are game changers and force multipliers. The higher your stress level when you have to shoot a pistol, the more the red dot sight helps you. The farther the shot, the more the red dot sight helps you. Red dot sights on pistols make target transitions, either laterally or distance wise, much easier and faster. Red dot sights make shooting on the move easier. And once you're past the short learning curve of using one, even close shots can be take much faster than you can with irons. All of those benefits/improvements are magnified once you reach middle age and presbyopia (the hardening of the optical lens in your eyes) begins to happen and you begin to lose your ability to focus on near objects like the front sight of your pistol. And make no mistake, presbyopia happens to everyone. It may start at different ages, and it may progress at a different rate, but it's just another inevitable part of aging and it's independent of your visual acuity.

With a reflex sight, all your eyes need to do is look at the target. You absolutely never, ever, try to focus on the dot. You can get away with focusing on the dot with a rifle, even though you would be much faster and equally accurate if you focused on the target, but focusing on the dot on a handgun will make you extremely slow and that's the mistake most people have made when they claim "I'm faster with iron sights".

I greatly appreciate the time that you spent articulating decades of knowledge into one post. I will take your guidance and move to quality reflex (when they return to stock) devices on my VP9 and USP (was never a fan of the P30, sold it today...). The knowledge and passion on this site is incredible. Thank you for providing a new member with your experience.

I greatly appreciate the time that you spent articulating decades of knowledge into one post. I will take your guidance and move to quality reflex (when they return to stock) devices on my VP9 and USP (was never a fan of the P30, sold it today...). The knowledge and passion on this site is incredible. Thank you for providing a new member with your experience.
I would encourage you to seek local USPSA pistol matches if being good with a handgun is a priority for you.

They have given me the motivation to push and increase my skill far beyond I would have done outside of competition.

I'm by no means a world class shooter, I'm just a B classification in USPSA Production and Carry Optics which is pretty average for the sport. But people who can perform at an "average" level in USPSA competition are far, far above the average person who owns a pistol.

https://www.rainierarms.com/heckler-koch-h-k-vp9-slide-conversion-kit/?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Heckler+&+Koch+(H&K)+VP9+Slide+Conversion+Kit&utm_content=Change+is+constant+and+so+are+new+products&utm_campaign=New+this+Week&_bta_tid=2390767882358901352273338120209001937997370334261525456204835934549196204651237502607744485382221775051281921

Option for trial run if that works for you. Available atm (not a super deal)
Not the long slide and a lot more cost than cutting the original slide but you're not married to it. The 2020 were harder to get sights for when it came out.

This would still need a $25 plate for the optic of choice. Which is nice option the factory cut brings. It may be easy enough for resale and a nice option for those roster states.

Was able to shoot the HK VP9L (no optic/extended mag) today for the first time. Very well balanced w the additional length/weight. Went through 100rds (Federal LE 124g JHP) at 10, 17.5, and 25 yards. Switched to my standard VP9 w 100rds (same ammo) at the same splits for comparison. Tightness of dispersion and speed to reacquire target (my apologies if the terminology is wrong or awkward) were evident, with the L superior in each (advantage increased with distance/negligible at 10yds, but increasingly evident at 17.5 and 25yds).

Reactions: Frank_Castle
The Walther PPQ M2 is a dimensional clone of the P30 & VP9. I have thousands of rounds thru these and I actually prefer the Walther Except For the M2 variant regressed to a cross magazine catch release, whereas the M1 versions had ambidextrous paddle magazine releases (ala HK style) which I prefer in these patterns of pistols. Some complain about the geometry of the P30 trigger v. trigger guard resulting a trigger finger "pinching"View attachment 7477727View attachment 7477728
These are marked wrong. You have them mixed up.

Good post but FYI, The AMU has sport shooting teams that exist for the Sole reason, Of shooting sports.

They have Olympic Trap and Skeet , recruited from some of the best young shooters in the nation, that THEIR sole purpose in the Military is to shoot competitive. Is no different than the Army and Navy Band. They recruit top musicians and they exist to play music, not be soldiers or sailors, or train others.

There is some crossover between them but the AMU is a marketing organization that pretends to further the goals of marksman ship in the Army instead using the governments subsidization of shooting as well as advertisement to allow them to become the some of the best at their respective disciplines. Now if you can explain how shooting Oly Trap or Skeet can further the marksmanship of any soldier in a line company, I will be all ears. AMU guys shooting 3 gun is no different than the National Guard slathering their Logo on the hood of a NASCAR. Its government funded advertising used for recruiting.

The flip side is the top units do bring in the top competitive shooters like Langdon and Letham, those guys have forgot more about pistol shooting than just about everyone on the planet knows. It makes sense to bring in the top guys to share skills, drills and techniques,

The VP9 is a fantastic gun, the best factory combat pistol IMO. The benefit of the longslide is a longer sight radius, making accurate shots easier. However if you plan to mount a red dot, it kind of makes that a moot point. Most of the long slide versions are heavier, helping to dampen recoil however the VPL is actually a tad lighter than the reg VP9.

Its a good gun to buy if you already own a bunch of VP9/SK's and want to round out the collection. I am sitting at 7 VP9/sks right now and don't have one yet.

I would reccomend getting one of the newer 2020 VP9OR with the suppressor height sights. They come with flush fit 17rnders as well. Throw a RMR on there and you have one hell of a carry/duty handgun. They are rediculously accurate and easy to shoot handguns.

Was able to shoot the HK VP9L (no optic/extended mag) today for the first time. Very well balanced w the additional length/weight. Went through 100rds (Federal LE 124g JHP) at 10, 17.5, and 25 yards. Switched to my standard VP9 w 100rds (same ammo) at the same splits for comparison. Tightness of dispersion and speed to reacquire target (my apologies if the terminology is wrong or awkward) were evident, with the L superior in each (advantage increased with distance/negligible at 10yds, but increasingly evident at 17.5 and 25yds).
It doesn't add any weight over the VP9. Look it up.

The VP9 is a fantastic gun, the best factory combat pistol IMO. The benefit of the longslide is a longer sight radius, making accurate shots easier. However if you plan to mount a red dot, it kind of makes that a moot point. Most of the long slide versions are heavier, helping to dampen recoil however the VPL is actually a tad lighter than the reg VP9.

Its a good gun to buy if you already own a bunch of VP9/SK's and want to round out the collection. I am sitting at 7 VP9/sks right now and don't have one yet.

I would reccomend getting one of the newer 2020 VP9OR with the suppressor height sights. They come with flush fit 17rnders as well. Throw a RMR on there and you have one hell of a carry/duty handgun. They are rediculously accurate and easy to shoot handguns.
Thank you for your insight. My VP9L will be in next week.

Good post but FYI, The AMU has sport shooting teams that exist for the Sole reason, Of shooting sports.

I get that some of what they do has zero crossover to any practical application.

I have always been under the impression that some of the knowledge gained in some of the sports they compete makes its way to line units somehow some way. Not just in the shooting technique side but also on the gear side.

That's my general understanding, could easily be wrong.

It would be a waste to not use some of their practical pistol heavies to train those who need to know how to use a handgun. Not talking tactics, just how to shoot at a high level. Some of their in house talent takes a back seat to no one. SGT Heatherington won the 2019 Production national, for ex.

I get that some of what they do has zero crossover to any practical application.

I have always been under the impression that some of the knowledge gained in some of the sports they compete makes its way to line units somehow some way. Not just in the shooting technique side but also on the gear side.

That's my general understanding, could easily be wrong.

It would be a waste to not use some of their practical pistol heavies to train those who need to know how to use a handgun. Not talking tactics, just how to shoot at a high level. Some of their in house talent takes a back seat to no one. SGT Heatherington won the 2019 Production national, for ex.
I mean there were some elements back in the day that would do traveling training for DMR courses and the like. Alot of it was taking things from Hi power and applying the fundamentals to make people better shooters. Not bad per say, but its not like it was their mission. Those courses were few and far between.

The truth is, take any decent shooter and give them unlimited time, resources and pay them a nice living wage to do it, and you will end up with a very good shooter. That doesn't make the military more lethal or improve marksmanship to line units.

They do the same shit with females trying to get them through ranger school. They will spent 100 times the resources to find that one female, and then give them everything possible from private training, nutritionists, sports scientists all to find that one in a million who performs like an average male. Cool you found a split tail that can pass ranger. Give anyone else in the military the same resources and they will be OTC trying to get into a squadron.

If the Army actually cared about that shit, they would be doing it instead of trying to win gold medals in skeet and trap.

Thank you for your insight. My VP9L will be in next week.
Mine is here now. I jumped through the last hoop for Maryland just yesterday. I should have it in a week or two. I have to call the "Mag-Guy" in PA and pick up my 20 rounders from him. Any form of personal protection is illegal here in the people's republik.