• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HK91 sharpshooter

Richard Walter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
Here is the famous HK91 in sharpshooter trim along with many modular accessories. This weapon system is the end result of the Nazi assault weapon program. I have included pictures of my MP43 Sturmgewher to show the lineage. At the end of WW2 several German engineers set off for Spain and continued development of the STG45 rifle. Their product was fielded as the CETME rifle( it used the Kurtz round with a longer projectile) that was the first to feature a fluted chamber to ease extraction. This same design then returned home and was as the HK series.
Interestingly the M16 has copied the ejection cover door used on the mp43 series. But I am drifting off topic.

Attachments

• C21CCF8B-B79E-4A1C-9A96-A4DADEED6D13.jpeg
    C21CCF8B-B79E-4A1C-9A96-A4DADEED6D13.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 34874F92-AD0A-4A7D-96C0-30CF2C7E38CD.jpeg
    34874F92-AD0A-4A7D-96C0-30CF2C7E38CD.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 9D5E110A-45F4-4E82-B62D-D306B01EC62E.jpeg
    9D5E110A-45F4-4E82-B62D-D306B01EC62E.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 195
  • 9CF93CE2-85B4-4770-8086-8F50EEBB5E08.jpeg
    9CF93CE2-85B4-4770-8086-8F50EEBB5E08.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 5415C473-E29D-4676-92DC-2436922080A3.jpeg
    5415C473-E29D-4676-92DC-2436922080A3.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 4707653D-4269-409B-ABA2-303CFA9E2750.jpeg
    4707653D-4269-409B-ABA2-303CFA9E2750.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
This particular rifle is of note to me as it's around the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre. I was in the fourth grade when it happened. So, if you could (I know @buffalowinter already gave the history once, but were these used as the Polizei sharpshooter rifle? Or, what were they using? As I understand it, the PSG-1 was developed because they felt what they had was lacking. Also, brought about by that massacre was GSG-9. A counter-terror group much like our SFOD-D...do expound:cool:

To the best of my recollection, there were 5 snipers involved at the shoot out at the airport with the terrorist. The full auto version of this rifle (G3) was the rifle they were using. Unfortunately for the hostages, none of the officers were trained as snipers and had no optics or night vision. There was no inter communication between them. I will never forget Jim McKay saying of the hostages; “they are all gone”. It was a total debacle on the Germans part, from the lack of security in the beginning to the confusion at the end. There was no such thing at that time as an “anti terrorist” unit. The G3 was the standard battle rifle of the Bundeswehr but not specifically suited as a sniper rifle.

The walther 2000 in 300wm & "optional" .308 was also developed after the '72 olympics.
wa2k_4a10.jpg

Here is a pic of an early HK 93 converted to the "T" configuration
20180408_195437.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
I had a 91 years ago and shot it in local competition. The scope mount is incredible in fact the whole gun is. It was a hammer and the ejected cases were also hammers according a buddy who got too close at a match. :ROFLMAO: I still have an aftermarket muzzle brake for it. Should have kept it......

What a beautiful stick. I've not seen one in this configuration. I had a plain jane 91 for a while. I sold it to buy my SR9TC that uses the MSG90 buttstock and the PSG1 trigger group. Bought one of the 400 that came in for a staggering $1099.

It is a nice shooter since it doesn't have the dreaded bump as well.

HK SR9T 01.jpg

It was a hammer and the ejected cases were also hammers according a buddy who got too close at a match......

Yes, the 91 series and the clones are great weapons, if you don't get them with the round, you might get them with the ejected case, then if that fails you can use the meat tenderizer buttstock to provide some facial services.

Great forum! I have not seen any of those variants before. For a sheet metal rifle they are also quite heavy.

The walther 2000 in 300wm & "optional" .308 was also developed after the '72 olympics.View attachment 6892108
Here is a pic of an early HK 93 converted to the "T" configuration
View attachment 6892115

Dude, that Walther is and has been one of my all time wanted dream rifles. Handmade and too expensive to mass produce. I was wondering if that rifle could be reintroduced using modern CNC technology, 'cause I'd sure love to have one! I heard the grips and furniture on those and other attributes were custom cut to the shooter.

Dude, that Walther is and has been one of my all time wanted dream rifles. Handmade and too expensive to mass produce. I was wondering if that rifle could be reintroduced using modern CNC technology, 'cause I'd sure love to have one! I heard the grips and furniture on those and other attributes were custom cut to the shooter.
I wish that WA2000 was mine but unfortunatly it is just an image i found that related to the '72 olympics

After HK developed the PSG1, they developed several other interesting "target" versions of the HK91.

hk_psg1_l.jpg WE all know this as the PSG1. It originally came with a 6x Hensolt scope. The later ones had a 10X scope.
MSG90.jpgHK-MSG90-links.jpg The MSG 90 closely followed the PSG1 but having a lighter weight & still had the capability to use the excellent tripod of the PSG1. It also had the "silent" bolt closure , aka forward assist. While the PSG1 utilized the HK91 trigger housing, the MSG90 used the pin in trigger housing which is why you never see these in civilian hands. they could accept any full auto trigger unit. they were supplied with safe/semi groups.

G3SG1-c.jpgG3SG1-e.jpg The G3 SG1 used a pin in trigger housing, wasx fully automatic but had a special "set" trigger to lighten up the pull weight.

sr9tc.png Here we have the SR9TC, which is a SR9 that used the PSG1 stock, trigger , & wood grip. The SR9T used the stock of the MSG 90. The SR9 rifles came with a thumbhile stock.

hk94sg1.jpgHK94sg1a.jpg Last but not least HK produced a target version of the HK 94 & called it the HK94Sg1.

I wish these were all in my collection but all pics were downloaded just for your information.

Reactions: sandwarrior
The 91 was just one of those guns on my bucket list,having acquired it years ago, I did not follow through on my usual historical research of the various offspring. I am very glad to have come to this forum. It is quite refreshing to see all the things I never knew about ! Keep ‘em coming.

There are, I believe, fewer than 5 in the country. I know where one of them is and in what safe... and it's not for sale. And, no, not mine. I wish. But it is in the Springfield, Ma. area... which is a clue. I've held it. Never fired one. Was lucky just to get to hold it.

It's an amazing rifle for sure.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a HK91. I must have been very lucky because it came with a PSG1 trigger at no extra cost.

I served in the Norwegian NG as a dmr/sharpshooter and was issued selected ( I personally selected them from new stock) Norwegian G3 called AG3. Mine was topped with a S&B 1.5-6x42 sniperscope with bdc clicks from 1 - 600m. The original HK scopemount is a POS. It moves when the rifle fires and loose accuracy due to wear after 200 rounds. A german sniper instructor I spoke with told me they had welding kits ready so they could weld the HK mount to the G3 receiver if TSHTF. I used the B&T 262 rail epoxied to the receiver. After I discharged they started to weld picrails on the AG3.

I was privatly offered a WA2000 by the Norwegian Walther importer in the 80'ies. It was a kit with 300wm, 308 and, if I remember correctly, 7.5x55 swiss. Testfired it in 308. Could not afford it at the time.

I did however buy a Walther bolt action sniper. It came with the most insane test target I've ever seen. It was something like less than half inch at 300m. Never managed to duplicate it..

Last edited:
A long time ago, I had a HK SR9 (polygonal rifling). I did spent a lot of money (PSG Trigger, German Claw mount, PSG1 butt stock and forearm etc, to get it to shoot tight groups. But it never shot consistent tight groups. Sold it to buy a KAC SR25 Match when no one knew what they where. At the time the Knight Armament was the only semi 308 that guaranteed 1 MOA or less with match ammo. The SR9 was sexy and looked just like Miller's rifle in the movie SNIPER. The SR9 was very interesting recoil operated rifle and could be almost totally disassembled without any tools.

If you can believe it, not only did I own an HK91, but I also owned a WA2000 but it was in 308, so was considered 2nd tier even though less of them were made in that caliber. Shot the rifle once and it was pretty cool. Ended up selling it back to the guy I bought it from in 2006 I think. Had I not been a cheap shit and just ponied up another 3k for the 300wm, it would’ve been worth a ton more

There are, I believe, fewer than 5 in the country. I know where one of them is and in what safe... and it's not for sale. And, no, not mine. I wish. But it is in the Springfield, Ma. area... which is a clue. I've held it. Never fired one. Was lucky just to get to hold it.

It's an amazing rifle for sure.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I think there were about a dozen or so here back in 2002. A guy in Tewksbury named earl chandler owns a few. He basically has the monopoly on the rifle

I think there were about a dozen or so here back in 2002. A guy in Tewksbury named earl chandler owns a few. He basically has the monopoly on the rifle

Earl was the go-to Walther guy for a long time. Repairs, parts. Oddities. But there is at least one further West in Ma.

I think Earl retired a long time ago... before SW bought Walther.

I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Earl was the go-to Walther guy for a long time. Repairs, parts. Oddities. But there is at least one further West in Ma.

I think Earl retired a long time ago... before SW bought Walther.

I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Sirhr
He definitely had a bunch of things you couldn’t find anywhere else. I got the WA2000 from him and also an OSP2000 in 22 short which I still have. Tons of 22 caliber match pistols in every configuration you could think of. I haven’t checked that site in a long time

I gotta get off that page because I am gonna end up buying a 22 pistol. It's like crack to me

The pics are small because I think I was using a flip phone to take them. We are talking like 12 years ago or so. I wish I had some high resolution pics for memories

I was privatly offered a WA2000 by the Norwegian Walther importer in the 80'ies. It was a kit with 300wm, 308 and, if I remember correctly, 7.5x55 swiss. Testfired it in 308. Could not afford it at the time.
How much were they offering that for? That is the gold mine of the rifle. All 3 calibers today in a mint rifle...I gotta think close to 75k if not more today.

I believe the retail price of the rifle in 300 was around 9k on the intro. Most of the rifles were destroyed in Germany when they did some semi auto ban or something like that. Not many produced. I’ve heard anywhere between 75 to 180. It’s a very mysterious rifle.

Back to the 91, it is a heavy gun with a real punch of a recoil. I’d say it’s very reliable but it does launch and beat the shit out of brass with the fluted chamber. They were fairly ubiquitous back in the early 2000s for anywhere between 2-3k. The rifle to get was the HK94. They didn’t come around so easy. Neither did the HK93. Always wanted both of those

They're a fun platform, I've got a PTR-91 that I like to take out for piggies every once in a while.

The HK 91, civilian version of the German G3. Adopted by Germany after FN told them "no license for you" for making the FAL. HK proceeds to license the the G3 to several countries: Turkey, Iran...
HK91, nice weapon, dreadful trigger, fluted chamber (nice radial markings on your brass) energetic extraction . Came with a sling that was ahead of its time and a bit confusing :) (middle retainer)

Delayed blowback ends up in their pistols, rifles military/commercial, submachine guns, machine guns...