• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon...can't wait till next year lookie lookie

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
CFE223 looks like it could be very intersting:

The technology developed for the U.S. Military that greatly deters copper fouling is now available in CFE™223 for your reloads!
Introduced in January 2012, this versatile spherical rifle propellant incorporates in its formula CFE, Copper Fouling Eraser. This ingredient, originally used in military propellant, greatly deters copper fouling. It contributes to longer periods of top accuracy with less barrel cleaning time. Being a spherical powder, metering is superbly accurate. CFE 223 yields top velocities in many cartridges such as the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, plus many, many more. Match, Varmint and AR shooters will love this one!

Link: (check out the velocities)
http://www.hodgdon.com/new_prod.html

Re: Hodgdon...can't wait till next year lookie lookie

Now that's cool. Being that it's spherical I'm guessing it won't be temp stable. Could be worth checking out in my 308 AR.

wow
like there's not already to many quality powder choice to pick from
looks interesting

sounds good but whats the real question.well I have it.just what else is the powder takeing from the barel when used?has there been a test in a bolt gun with great accuracy from alot of fireing?

I guess what I am trying to say is that it just seems to good to be true.I can see the use of it if you are a trooper shooting lots of ammo down range.the AR based rifel can and will do just that if you can afford it.and this will help out with that type of shooting.but can it be safe for a bolt gun to a great deal and keep a accuracy level to boot.see the reason for someone who shoots alot and not wanting to clean ( like our troops do )or someone who shoots an AR who doesn't clean as much.

just think it has to be takeing out just more than copper when used alot..something has to be in the mix of it to strip out copper from the bore to be that good.but hey just my thoughts on the powder.would really love to know more about it.I know that Hodgdon has a great R&D and that they have done their job.

It isn't stripping anything out of the barrel but has something in it to "deter" copper fouling. At least that is what Hodgdon told me about three weeks ago.

I now soak my bullets in Hoppes #9 for 24 hours before loading them. They are self cleaning. I know, you're thinking "what BS" because that won't clean the powder fouling. I soak the primers too!!!
smile.gif

Well if it reduces copper fouling its probably reducing friction somehow so it may not directly increase barrel wear...Maybe some sort of dry lubricant mixed in there? It seems interesting and Im less pessimistic than others, I like to see new products come out...Is it worth a dern? We will see

marketing hype = solving a non-existent problem

just saying...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">marketing hype = solving a non-existent problem

just saying... </div></div>

Sounds like they re-discovered graphite.

Eric

Takes a lot more of it to do the same as some of the others.Depends on the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: soxie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takes a lot more of it to do the same as some of the others.Depends on the price. </div></div>
Sox, what are ya using that gives that velocity with 'so much less' please enlighten me as i'd like to try it out.
As far as it bein available thanks guys didnt know it was.
Looks like it could be interesting depending on a few factors at least to me. As long as it isnt temp sensitive an can produce what they are showing looks like a varget alternative that would meter better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't stripping anything out of the barrel but has something in it to "deter" copper fouling. At least that is what Hodgdon told me about three weeks ago.

I now soak my bullets in Hoppes #9 for 24 hours before loading them. They are self cleaning. I know, you're thinking "what BS" because that won't clean the powder fouling. I soak the primers too!!!
smile.gif

</div></div>Your a genius, why couldn't I of thought of that.

FWIW, I've always heard that Ramshot TAC was formulated to reduce copper fouling.

If one of you sends me about an ounce (fluid volume) I can run it though the lab and see what it's actually made of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: soxie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Takes a lot more of it to do the same as some of the others.Depends on the price. </div></div>
Sox, what are ya using that gives that velocity with 'so much less' please enlighten me as i'd like to try it out.
As far as it bein available thanks guys didnt know it was.
Looks like it could be interesting depending on a few factors at least to me. As long as it isnt temp sensitive an can produce what they are showing looks like a varget alternative that would meter better. </div></div>

Spherical powder = Temp sensitive Guaran-F'ing teed.

I got some CFE223 to try in my .223AI just haven't had a chance to do so as of yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that's cool. Being that it's spherical I'm guessing it won't be temp stable. Could be worth checking out in my 308 AR. </div></div>

That was my first thought...
I'm fairly new to handloading, but....
When I've got a powder like Varget, that delivers superb results in many calibers (we use it .308, .223, and 7.62 x 54R), and is temperature stable- why would I want to mess with a non- stable powder? Especially here in Florida...

Doesn't look like the velocity gains are significant enough for me to make a change, anyway...

Now, if it were an "Extreme" (temp stable) powder, it'd be a different story.

I played with it in my 22-250 and it got warm pretty fast and I had a very stiff bolt at 39.3grs which is the Hodgdon max charge off there website with 50s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one of you sends me about an ounce (fluid volume) I can run it though the lab and see what it's actually made of. </div></div>

I'll play, and some wc844 to see the difference if it's possible??

sean