• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgon CFE223 pain in the a**

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
So i have CFE223 and Varget and BlC2 powders.

I have to say that I am very frustrated with the CFE223. Getting it from glass jar through funnel into 223 case, no matter how care full there is residual left around the loading tray. Should I move on as I have very little of this powder, a friend who I trust sold it to me for $9 lbs He had 3 lbs left over in a 8lbs jug. My problem is I got great results from it in a 223. Should I just move on because I have about 60 lbs of varget and 8lbs of BLC2 Or should I spend money on a high end funnels.

If you say go funnel route. What funnels are you using. I do not want a metal funnel. CFE sticks to everything.

Also I have about 20lbs of 8208. How fine is that compared to the CFE I have not opened any of the containers yet.

Have this and love it. I have absolutely zero issues and it won't break the bank. Or you can be baller and throw your money at Area 419 billet aluminum nonsense.

Weird.. running it thru a Dillon 550 right now, meters great, no static.. and when I have to measure on the scale, it pours well in the plastic funnel back into the case.

Have this and love it. I have absolutely zero issues and it won't break the bank. Or you can be baller and throw your money at Area 419 billet aluminum nonsense.

I have the same funnel and it works very well, but I haven't used it with CFE 223 yet.

So i have CFE223 and Varget and BlC2 powders.

I have to say that I am very frustrated with the CFE223. Getting it from glass jar through funnel into 223 case, no matter how care full there is residual left around the loading tray. Should I move on as I have very little of this powder, a friend who I trust sold it to me for $9 lbs He had 3 lbs left over in a 8lbs jug. My problem is I got great results from it in a 223. Should I just move on because I have about 60 lbs of varget and 8lbs of BLC2 Or should I spend money on a high end funnels.

If you say go funnel route. What funnels are you using. I do not want a metal funnel. CFE sticks to everything.

Also I have about 20lbs of 8208. How fine is that compared to the CFE I have not opened any of the containers yet.

I use these funnels and they just don't get any better (no problem with static either and CFE223 does not stick to it). You won't have that issue with these:

781740.jpg

Last edited:
You have a couple of options.

You can reload with your shoes and socks off or buy mats that discharge static. (Esd procedures)

Whatever benchtop you have is not draining off static and all kinds of stuff sold to drain static and your wallet.

Try a bare foot on the ground and see if that is enough.
If not you may also need an esd floor mat.

Reactions: db2000
I load CFE223 using a Dillon powder measure, RCBS trickler, 40+-year-old RCBS plastic funnel, and/or brass powder pan off an equally ancient Ohaus/RCBS beam scale. No issues with powder clinging to any of them. H335, otoh, does stick to some degree on everything but the brass powder pan....

I use Area 419 powder funnel and CFE223 with very little problems. Not saying its perfect but I have a lot less static problems than running CFE 223 through my Dillon 650.

Make sure your powder funnel is smooth and no nicks or fibers / burrs from dumping a powder pan and "banging" inside to get the powder to flow. If you have a plastic powder pan, do the same there. Do as advised above to reduce static as much as possible. Then, take one dryer sheet from your wife's collection and wipe down all the plastic parts your powder will touch. It will greatly reduce static cling with small powders, just like on the towels.

Enjoy the fresh scent, and the relief of no more sticking powder.

Keep a stash around the bench handy. I have also used the "static spray" that the wife uses on her dresses in the winter time. I like the dryer sheets better.
EDITED TO ADD... be sure to wipe down both inside and outside of the plastic funnels and other items.

Just loaded my test batch of 52g with cfe223.

Only problem was constant adjustment of the dillon powder measure 5 x 5 different loads.

High humidity today zero static but I will try and remember the dryer sheets this winter.

Anyway the cfe223 and dillon work well as long as you remember to seat a primer in the case first.

Dribbled 26.5g all over the bench. Lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lash
I never used CFE, isn't it a ball powder? I might be on the hunt for a new ball powder with this burn rate when I run out of AA2520. AA2520 seems to be iffy with supply but I have yet to not see CFE on the shelf in my parts...

ETA +1 on the dryer sheet, it will definitely solve your static issues....

I put a used dryer sheet in the vibration tumbler with a knot tied in the middle of it.

It traps a lot of dirt out of my media and makes it last longer.

But I suppose for static a new one would work best on the tools.

By the way once set, the dillon threw only a couple of +/- 0.1 charges out of 25 rounds of cfe223.

Cant wait to find my load and rock that thing.

Reactions: FishDr
I use these funnels and they just don't get any better (no problem with static either and CFE223 does not stick to it). You won't have that issue with these:

View attachment 7336119
I have these as well and have never had an issue of powder sticking nor spillage, they're a real top notch product, I went ahead and bought for the other calibers I load for.