• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hog loads/bullet preference

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
Going to TX next month for some hog/turkey/varmint hunting.
Probably taking 308/223. The 08 on hogs....any recommendations on bullets to NOT use? Currently I have some amax's and 168cc's loaded up. Will they be ok or shall I go tougher?
An I realize its all in where you put it but will welcome any recommendations.

**Disclaimer: I know both will work if put where I want'm. They do on other stuff I've shot, but just wondering since haven't smacked a hog with one yet and always hear how tough the shoulder is.***

Re: hog loads/bullet preference

If you got some heavy 68-77grn 223, don't hesitate to use it. It's proven hog medicine.

Good luck and have a ton of fun,
Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The A-Maxes work fine on hogs. Check this link out... it may be of some help to ya.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html </div></div>

Very cool link, thanks boudin.

-Pat

either would work fine. people kill alot with both calibers, the 223 try to get a good load with the heavier bullets though. hope you have a good trip.

Killed quite a few hogs with my 6.8 loaded with Nosler 100gr Accubonds. Mostly head shots, but a couple of chest shots. 223 with a 50gr Barnes TTSX also does the job.