• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hog saddle shooting rest

Re: Hog saddle shooting rest

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody try this with tube chassis? How strong are the handguards out there. My next rifle build is on a XLR chassis. </div></div>

We have a HOG Saddle on the way. I should be able to tell you when it gets here.

I just mounted my ar with a round carbon fiber free float tube (2"smooth tube), and it holds great. I am pretty sure the XLR will also work great in the Hogsaddle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pinco how do you like that 322RC2 head? I chose to go with the compact head at the last minute instead of that grip. </div></div>

I like it so much even if it's just a little bit heavy & bulky for my taste , but when the weight is not an issue it's OK ,

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good PP!
laugh.gif
Nice rifle too.

I was waiting for someone to mount a Hog Saddle to a Vector LRF kit's tripod.

If you use that pistol grip ball head on the left side regularly you can remount the QD plate's base on the opposite side of the head making it more ergonomical.
This way you can depress the grip with your fingers instead of your palm.
The pistol grip ball heads are made to be able to mount the QD plate for either left or right hand use. You can even mount the plate on the end of the handle to make it look like a vertical grip head model. </div></div>

Thanks .
smile.gif

I use to keep the grip on the left side because I like to have my right hand on the rifle .

Keep up with the good work !

PP out

Thanks for the tripod details. I've shot off the $30 Wally World cheapies for so long and always wanted to try out the good ones, just never dropped the money on one. Looking on the Manfrotto website can be a bit confusing with all the various models out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00271.jpg
</div></div>

Whats up with the muzzle?

Also do you have an NSN for these?

Got mine last week - a beautiful piece of kit for sure. Tried it out at Angeles this weekend on a small rest and it worked very well. Worked better than the picatinny mounted setups in that it handles recoil much better.

Got the HogSaddle in today, VERY nice piece of gear. Just waiting on the Manfrotto bipod and 496 compact head and I will be testing it out this weekend.

For this weekend, I put it on a TSPod, but it's now on a full size Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 (which I am pretty sure the carbon fiber tripod is in Wanderlust's picture above).

Good work HOG!!

It never amazes me how so many HOGS are designing no shit real deal gear for shooters that work!!

Congrats

Thanks Nomad!
I got tired of waiting for someone to make the rest that I wanted. It's cool to see other shooters use a product that I initially made for myself.

scottball- The tripod PP is using appears to be a Vectronix tripod that comes with the Vector LRF kit. Not sure if Vectronix is the tripod manufacturer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scootball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pinco, what type of tri pod is that? </div></div>

That's a Vectronix amagnetic tripod , it is sold in the USA by Ashbury Precision Ordnance , check out their website @ http://www.ashburyintlgroup.com/

Hope this helps you out ,

PP out

Used mine for the first time this afternoon. I was pleased to say the least. Great product. Now I have another excuse to go shooting... need to ware in the HOG!!!

Damn...three days straight of rain in Florida.
I think the meteorologist dropped the ball and instead, we had a tropical depression sitting on top of us.
Anyway, after a shitty weekend the sun came out this morning and I got to try out the new HogSaddle.
Again, Joshua well done!!!

DSC_0503-3.jpg

DSC_0506-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anymore group buys. </div></div>

He said possibly in Dec.

Does anybody have any tricks to stabilize the rifle before shooting. I don't know if its just me, but it seems like since the rear of the rifle doesn't have a rear pad, any tiny movement on my part, or the heart beat, has the reticle floating all over the place. And with it moving slightly, with longer range shots, that can turn out not so great...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody have any tricks to stabilize the rifle before shooting. I don't know if its just me, but it seems like since the rear of the rifle doesn't have a rear pad, any tiny movement on my part, or the heart beat, has the reticle floating all over the place. And with it moving slightly, with longer range shots, that can turn out not so great...</div></div>

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this also.

When shooting off of a tripod you are going to want to incorporate a sling. Unhook the sling from the buttstock and wrap the sling around or under the tripod. Over torque the sling so it's pulling the front of the rifle downwards a little then shoulder the rifle. The sling will help take up the extra movement.
It is easier to stabilize a tripod without a head.
Shooting off of a tripod is an acquired skill and it takes a little practice.
Also keep in mind that the lower the tripod is to the ground the easier it is to stabilize the tripod.

Other tricks that can help are leaning your back against a wall or tree, sitting on an ammo box or ruck, hanging a sandbag from the bottom of the tripod, and using a day pack to support the strong side elbow while kneeling or sitting.

Below are some pictures of shooters incorporating their slings. I've posted these already but they are good examples.

IMG_0273.jpg

USMC389.jpg

USMC387.jpg

USMC405.jpg

USMC401.jpg

Instead of waiting for a possible group buy in Dec, I ordered one today so I can use it before the snow gets here...
grin.gif
Can't wait to give it a try.

The HOG Saddle arrived today. I don't have a proper ball-head handy right now, so I just threw it on my Manfrotto 390. It's heavy enough a rifle that isn't perfectly balanced won't flip it.

I shot some pics to show the variety of rifles it will hold. Someone had a question about the XLR, and it will clamp down just fine on the tube or the clamp section.

In playing with it for the last twenty minutes, the only drawback I can see right now is that it won't go wide enough for my Leica LRF when laid flat or narrow enough when turned on end. However the flat tops on the Saddle allow me to just lay the Leica across the top and it's dead steady.

My initial impression is that the HOG Saddle will provide enough clamping force to hold loads beyond what your average head will take. I am looking forward to getting it wet and muddy and seeing how well it grips.

HOG_8576.jpg

HOG_8620.jpg

HOG_8632.jpg

HOG_8639.jpg

HOG_8663.jpg

HOG_8668.jpg

Nice photography skills LoneWolf. All that wood in the background reminds me that winter is right around the corner.
Thanks for showing the unit with a variety of rifle stocks.

Teufelhunden- Along with a sick screen name you have an impressive rifle selection too.

You have a great product. I was really amazed at the variety of stocks that fit securely.

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 488RC2 on the way. They should work much better than my 390. When they get here I will get to work on a video.

Of course its a great product its designed and made from real world experience and a fix to a major problem.

I am very happy for the success of the many 8541's running around opening business's and selling products, and gear that works and gets the job done.

Those companies being off the top of my head

Sniper's Hide -Frank

8541 Tactical - John

Central Cascade Precision- Caylon is Lead Sniper Instructor for Magpul

Impact Data Books - Tony

Adaptive (FDAC) - Taylor and Chris

Vapor Trail - Sean

Hog saddles - Joshua

Sorry for anyone I am forgetting, but goes to show you there is a ton of great Marine Snipers doing great things for shooters.

Hog Saddles are another great one.

Good work!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Teufelhunden- Along with a sick screen name you have an impressive rifle selection too. </div></div>

Thanks brother, looking forward to stretching these rifles out and trying the HogSaddle with a sling incorporated.

That's one solid looking piece of gear....even better are the m110 rifles about to do some damage to some unlucky individual downrange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00271.jpg
</div></div>

Whats up with the muzzle?

Also do you have an NSN for these? </div></div>

It's a MK13 Mod5 300 win-mag rifle and the barrel tapered to accept a KAC suppressor.

Tagging this for future order. My wife has a Manfrotto tripod and a head that I think will work. I will be using the Hog saddle for hunting with my H&R 12 ga Ultra Slugger. Funny thing is I bought the gun 15 years ago for $200.

AMTeam4: Firstly thank you for your service. I just ordered one of your Hog Saddles and a 055 tripod. I am a double amputee,left arm above elbow and right leg above knee and I use a power wheelchair. When I go to the range I have to transfer to a bench and try to rig something up to allow me to fully stabilize my rifle. Usually I shoot from the bipod and use a quick detach high-power sling around my left bicep. This works pretty well but is really only workable for me off of a bench. Your product and a good bipod should allow me to shoot more places and with greater accuracy while staying in my chair. Thank you for bringing the Hog Saddle to the market!

jwSubMOA- It's bad-ass that you don't let your circumstances effect your participation in the shooting sport. Feel free to PM me if you want any techniques to try out for shooting in a chair.

what are the dimensions of said piece of badass gear? width open and width closed etc?

Just so you guys know, Manfrotto has a Rebate deal running right now.

$10 on any Head, $25 on any Aluminum legs and $40 on Carbon legs.

I just purchased a 055XPROB tripod and 498RC2 head. This combo should be able to hold anything short of a heavy 50.

Manfrotto Rebates

My GAP 300wm, 16lbs, in a Hogsaddle w/Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and Manfrotto 498RC2 head

works great, even takes out some recoil
AICS002-1.jpg

Thanks Josh for all your help with this geat product

LoneWolfUSMC you made a good choice on the stuff you ordered

I took the HOG Saddle out to demo to the snipers on our department. My ball head didn't arrive in time, so I screwed the HOG Saddle directly onto the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs. Good thinking ahead on the 3/8" and the 1/4" threads.

I extended the tripod to a standing height, clamped one of the LTR's in and let one rip at the 375 yard gong. The rifle recoiled and dropped back with the target still in the field of view.

I was definitely impressed at it's ability to grip and control the light little rifle.

With the Saddle screwed into the legs I had to loosen the clamp to get elevation, then tighten it down again. The legs provided the panning action. The weight of the 055XPROB definitely helped keep the combo in place. The tripod doesn't even blink at the weight of the LTR even when fully extended.

I now have the ball head attached and I am going to take it out to the local match and see how it does with the AE MkII on it.

The new upgraded Aluminum knob is very nice looking and well finished.