• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hog saddle shooting rest

Re: Hog saddle shooting rest

Bump for the 100th post.
laugh.gif

I just finished my first run of the upgraded aluminum knobs and they turned out pretty good looking.
I'm currently retrofitting a bunch of units already in military circulation. The new knob should be available for purchase in a month or so. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I mounted up my Hog Saddle directly to my 055 tripod while I wait on my 054 ball head. Afte setting to my level in my wheelchair I mounted one of my rifles. This thing is great! I am able to comfortably use my rifle anywhere I go to shoot.

AMTeam4, I am enthusiastically recommending your product to every shooter I know and particularly other amputees and wheelchair bound shooters. I am planning to demo it for my prosthetist and suggest he make any patient that shoots or hunts aware of it. I know this product was originally intended for HOGs and other professionals but you just have no idea how amazing it is for myself and other challenged shooters. Once again thank you for this product!

Hey AMTeam4, I have your Hog Saddle at the office right now trying to get admin to buy off on ten of these things. They are absolutely awesome and definitely a needed piece of gear for a LE sniper team. One of my guys had a pretty good idea for it. A fishing reel style knob for fast locking/unlocking. It's just an idea and I have no idea if it would be efficient or not, but it sounded like a good option. It might be worth looking into the possibility of it. I'm sure it would be easy to implement for a T&E period on one.
As is, it's a great piece of kit and I will be purchasing my own, whether the department buys them or not. Thanks for making it available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mounted up my Hog Saddle directly to my 055 tripod while I wait on my 054 ball head. Afte setting to my level in my wheelchair I mounted one of my rifles. This thing is great! I am able to comfortably use my rifle anywhere I go to shoot.

AMTeam4, I am enthusiastically recommending your product to every shooter I know and particularly other amputees and wheelchair bound shooters. I am planning to demo it for my prosthetist and suggest he make any patient that shoots or hunts aware of it. I know this product was originally intended for HOGs and other professionals but you just have no idea how amazing it is for myself and other challenged shooters. Once again thank you for this product! </div></div>

This is probably one of the coolest testimonial I have received.
I'm glad the Hog Saddle is able to help give you the mobility and freedom to shoot where you want.
I will send you a PM shortly. Most snipers over time learn to become shooting position "MacGyvers". Feel free to pass on my contact info to inquiring individuals. I have some simple and cheap ideas on how to mount a Hog Saddle to certain model chairs.
Thanks again for your good words. This made my day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L.Holmes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can I get the upgraded aluminum knob? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just finished my first run of the upgraded aluminum knobs and they turned out pretty good looking.
I'm currently retrofitting a bunch of units already in military circulation. The new knob should be available for purchase in a month or so. Will keep you posted.</div></div>

About half way up the page.

The Colonel, I'm sure I can fab something up that you guys can try out. Just PM me or give me a call and we can talk.

I will definitely make an announcement on the Hide when the aluminum knobs are available to the public. In the next few weeks I will have a better idea on time-frame.

I'm still crunching numbers after reviewing how the first run of knobs went. Should have a good idea this week.

What I can tell you is that the upgraded aluminum knob will be sold as a drop in ready assembly. So the new knob will already have a stainless steel torque rod attached.
Only mechanical skills needed will be to unscrew the original polyurethane knob and rod and replace it with the new assembly.
The replacement knob and rod will use the existing washer and tension spring. This will be a five to ten second job.

I purchased a Hogsaddle from Joshua. I am very happy with both it and my transaction with him. Just trying to decide what head I am going to use on the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs. I also took advantage of the Manfrotto rebates mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the heads up on that. Waiting in line for the aluminum knobs.

Josh - too bad ya don't have sotck in Manfrotto, seems your HogSaddle has booste their sales as well...
smile.gif

Like it was made to do that!

HOG_8924.jpg

Dropped the Leica LRF on there and it was stable as hell. I was bummed at first that the saddle wouldn't go wide enough or narrow enough to grip it, but it doesn't really need to. The flats across the top are perfect for keeping it stable while pressing the button. I just dummy corded it on with the lanyard and it stayed put in 15-20 mph winds.

If I really want it to grip the LRF I can just riggers tape a block to the bottom of it.

The flat top of the Hog Saddle works as a great support for binoculars too.
It looks like a boot-band or small bungee cord could wrap around the two and add stability to the Leica.

I'm not sure what all LRF models will clamp inside the Hog Saddle but I know my personal Swarovski 8x30 Laser Rangefinder is wide enough to firmly secure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...... those Italians sure make a great tripod. </div></div>

Yeah .... italian do IT better !!
grin.gif

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are other good brands out there but those Italians sure make a great tripod. </div></div>

Indeed. Now if you could only make the saddle compatible with my Arca-Swiss QR system...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HOG_8639.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks for posting this pic. Looks like a working system for me. How resistant would the Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head be for snow and sub -30c temps? With a 055XPROB pro tripod this adds up to a few $$$.

Anyone running a Hog on a PRS tripod?

If it's easy to fir to a PRS I plan on ordering one.

Thanks

icedragonmx- The 322RC2 Grip Action Head will handle the low temps. Just periodically toggle the head to keep it from freezing in place. Similar to any equipment with moving parts in those conditions.
I've had this same head in cold weather, mountain environments and didn't encounter any problems.

rath- I don't have a PRS tripod but I am positive the Hog Saddle will mount to it.
For verification, I too would like to hear from a PRS user.

Josh I finally got my tripod and ball head.

I went with the Manfrotto 055 tripod and 054 magnesium ball head under your recommendation to couple with your hog saddle.

Oh my lord!!!!! this thing is rock solid. I am excited to take it out and give it some use.

I am going to try and take it late season deer/elk hunting this fall/winter and on a early spring season bear hunt. Need to feed the family!!!!

I am going shooting with it this week and will report back.

Question- when shooting and everything is set up. Is it best on the tripod to have two feet in front and one in the rear or two in the rear towards the shooter and one up front away from the shooter??? Does it matter? Anyone have some experience with this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question- when shooting and everything is set up. Is it best on the tripod to have two feet in front and one in the rear or two in the rear towards the shooter and one up front away from the shooter??? Does it matter? Anyone have some experience with this? </div></div>

Wondered this myself. I have yet to try the sling trick to help stabilize the rifle. I'm interested in a response to this question as well.

Ideally you are going to want one leg forward in the direction of your target. When leaning into the tripod and rifle, more body weight will be able to be put into the tripod without the tripod tipping forward.
Situation and environment always dictate. For a moving target or uneven ground this might not always be possible.

Leaning into your tripod with one leg forward and sling incorporation will provide an extremely solid shooting platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rath- I don't have a PRS tripod but I am positive the Hog Saddle will mount to it.
For verification, I too would like to hear from a PRS user.

</div></div>

I have one PRS tripod , the HOG saddle mounts on it easily , no prob at all

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone running a Hog on a PRS tripod?

If it's easy to fir to a PRS I plan on ordering one.

Thanks </div></div>

PRS tripods are made by Slik. The QR plate screws on the bottom of the HOG Saddle and it works just fine.

I will be doing a video on the HOG Saddle, PRS and home-made tripods soon. Each had their own strengths and weaknesses.

That's a great example of how I would use the Hog Saddle for hunting. Post up on the outskirts of a clearing and set up your kill zone.
You could sit like that all day, waiting for your prey to present itself. Tie vegetation to the tripod legs and you've got yourself a blind.

Whoever made that tower did a great job.

That looks great, how does it work on non (90 degree) stocks? (i.e more hunting profile)

It will hold any stock that is wide enough to be clamped ( a Winchester 94 is to skinny to be clamped). Any traditional bolt gun should clamp down solid. My model 7 Remington deer rifle fits fine, my round carbon fiber free float tube also clamps down tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: itieknots7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks great, how does it work on non (90 degree) stocks? (i.e more hunting profile) </div></div>

Works fine on a perfectly round handguard.

HOG_8632.jpg

Also remember that where you are going to clamp it is closer to the receiver. Even on hunting stocks this is flatter location. It clamps fine on an M40A1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00271.jpg

Is this guy's scope a Countersniper (asian cheap scope) ??

The Hog-saddle looks pretty cool- my brother picked one up for his Templar.
</div></div>

That looks like a actual Horus scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's up with the barrel taper??? </div></div>

Suppressor attachment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just started a Hog Saddle end of the year Group Buy Here
This would make a sweet gift to a son or father-in-law for Christmas.

</div></div>

Thank you very much for this solid piece of gear! Have it loaded up and it holds everything very tight. Can't wait to get out with this for some range time. Worth every penny!
grin.gif
Holds my XLR custom, accustock Savage, tacticool 10/22, and Daniel Defense railed AR and anything else I can find. Very versatile!
PicsJan02-12018.jpg

Nice looking rig icedragonmx!

It has been years in the making but the Hog Saddle is now <span style="font-weight: bold">US Patented</span>. (others pending)
Keep an eye out for us at Shot Show this year.

</div></div>

where will you be?

I will have a display in US Tactical Supply's booth #6510.
A couple former SEALs I know on the East Coast told me to "Prepare for Glory" at the Venitian. So I have no idea where that will lead me during the evening hours. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rig icedragonmx!

It has been years in the making but the Hog Saddle is now <span style="font-weight: bold">US Patented</span>. (others pending)

</div></div>

Thanks! Congrats on the "<span style="font-weight: bold">US Patented</span>"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the enormous price tag?? It's just a simple vise </div></div>

The Hog Saddle is CNC machined out of a solid block of aluminum and it takes a lot of engineering to get the rest to the weight of 16oz. Machining metal isn't cheap or easy, especially if done in the United States by Americans.

The concept of the Hog Saddle may be simple but creating a "simple vise" that is light weight, rust resistant, weapons universal, tripod universal, and durable enough to survive war zones is not simple.

I assure you that I'm not price gouging my customers.
If the Hog Saddle is too much for your budget I would point you in the direction of PRS. Their style rest is an economical configuration and the owner is a Marine Scout Sniper with a good reputation on the Hide.

Not such an "enormous" price once you look at it in person. Its very well made. Considering that nothing made well comes cheap anymore. Put it in this context: If you're running a good quality scope, like a Nightforce or a S&B etc and you put it in a cheap clamp. The clamp breaks and you damaged your investment. Makes no sense to me. But its your money. If your rifle isn't worth much, I guess its expensive. Its worth the price to me- YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not such an "enormous" price once you look at it in person. Its very well made. Considering that nothing made well comes cheap anymore. Put it in this context: If you're running a good quality scope, like a Nightforce or a S&B etc and you put it in a cheap clamp. The clamp breaks and you damaged your investment. Makes no sense to me. But its your money. If your rifle isn't worth much, I guess its expensive. Its worth the price to me- YMMV. </div></div>

Point taken