• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Hogster-R by Bering Optics opinions

I did receive an answer back from Bering on the power draw question. Here is the answer:

The standby mode saves power by turning off the screen. The screen's power consumption is 300mW. This option helps to increase the batteries lasting time an additional 30 minutes and allows the HOGSTER to work approx. 15% longer in compare to fully powered scope.

Awesome, thank you for the follow up

The Hogser r 35 is the IRAY SCL 35. IRAY has just released the sct model in Europe which uses the same 12 micron sensor as the MH 25 but is 388 res instead of 640. They are also dropping a 640 X 512 12 micron 50mm unit any day now.

Might be awhile for the Eye2 E6 Pro, as the boys down Forth Worth, Texas way are tight lipped about it. They just say as info becomes available, it'll be posted on the website.

Might be awhile for the Eye2 E6 Pro, as the boys down Forth Worth, Texas way are tight lipped about it. They just say as info becomes available, it'll be posted on the website.

You can order those now from many places outside US. Don’t know if you could ship back to seller outside of US for warranty work though.

The Hogser r 35 is the IRAY SCL 35. IRAY has just released the sct model in Europe which uses the same 12 micron sensor as the MH 25 but is 388 res instead of 640. They are also dropping a 640 X 512 12 micron 50mm unit any day now.
Very similar yes as they share the same housing and sensor. There are differences in firmware, mount, etc. You would have to talk to Bering Optics about all the differences. The Hogsters carry a 4 year warranty and can be serviced in Tx which makes it a very nice option for the US market.

Last edited:
Very similar yes as they share the same housing and sensor. There are differences in firmware, mount, etc. You would have to talk to Bering Optics about all the differences. The Hogsters carry a 4 year warranty and can be serviced in Tx which makes it a very nice option for the US market.
I agree it’s nice to have local support in Texas. It looks like IRAY is bringing their own products to the US market as the Iray Rico and several other items are listed on the IRAY US site. Don’t know why these companies are being so secretive about things that have been available in Europe for months? The Rico has the potential to be a real game changer for me as it looks to be on par with Trijicon and Nvision image quality with internal recording and an XP 50 price tag. I love my Trijicon stuff, but recording is such a pain in the backside....

I agree it’s nice to have local support in Texas.

This was ultimately one of the bigger reasons I was comfortable with a measured gamble on the newer Hogster-R vs Pulsar. Pulsar has all the cool features and shit some people can’t live without.... like on board recording, Bluetooth, etc. But I don’t need that kind of stuff. Just want to shoot hogs. What I really couldn’t get down with was the combination of native magnification and FOV with the Pulsar stuff. Hogster-R is better in that regard for actual field use. I haven’t had to use the warranty yet, but on paper it does make a guy feel at least a little better than warranty work is performed in the US. And I live in Tx.

I was like you for several years, had several Trijicons off and on over the years and just wanted dead pigs. I’ve become very interested in recording here lately and there is just no good option. I’m a 640 guy, just how it is. Like you, I find the XP 50 lacking in both magnification and image quality. The super Hogsters will soon be out with 12 micron and recording, but not the 640 res. I have some friends over the pond in UK who have been using the IRAY Units for quite a while. Their general reputation seems to be that they are solid units with superior image quality that pulsar. I’m really hoping the 640 12 micron Rh 50 becomes available here soon.

Anyone use their hogster 35MM as a scanner ? How is the 2.0 base mag as a scanner ?

I have been using the Super-Hogster with my SLR .308 and really impressed thus far. I just got heads up my Halo-LR shipped from the dealer. I cant image it being 58% better.

SLR.jpeg

Reactions: Nodayhunter
You maybe surprised my halo LR is amazing, but I’m looking for a affordable scanner that i can give to my buddy as soon as i locate, then they can attached to their rifle.

Anyone use their hogster 35MM as a scanner ? How is the 2.0 base mag as a scanner ?
My coyote hunting partner used a Hogster 35 all last year as a scanner. The 25 typically is more widely used as a scanner due to a wider FOV at 14.9 while the 35 is at 10.7°.

If you use it mainly as a scanner and once in awhile as a scope, I would probably lean towards the 25. If you use it mainly as a scope and want it as a scanner occasionally, I would go with the 35.

The image of the Hogsters are good. However, if you are looking for a scanner with a "jaw dropping" image look at the Bering Optics Phenom (12 µm 640). It will be right there with your Halo from an image standpoint.

Do you know of anywhere that has the Phenom 12um 640 in stock ?

Do you know of anywhere that has the Phenom 12um 640 in stock ?
As Prostaff, I don't work on the sales side for Night Goggles, but I know we have an order in for some as our first shipment sold out very quickly. Contact Tom Austin, Programs Director at Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 X531. You will get a Hide Discount with free shipping, and be supporting a Hide sponsor. Night Goggles staff has tons of experience using the Hogster models as well as the Phenom.

Any idea on the backorder status of the the TNVC Ankar? About to put in my CC number. Also, will an A2 front sight post be a problem with the Super hogster? Will I need to replace the handguard? Thanks.

Any idea on the backorder status of the the TNVC Ankar? About to put in my CC number. Also, will an A2 front sight post be a problem with the Super hogster? Will I need to replace the handguard? Thanks.
I believe you are referring to the TRB from Night Goggles/TNVC. As prostaff, I don't get involved in POs and order fulfillment, etc. The person with a potential answer would be Tom Austin, Programs Director at Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 X531. I also will send you a "Hide" discount code for it.

As for the A2, I am not sure. You might lose a little sight picture at the bottom, but my guess is it will work. None of my guns have anything but a suppressor on the end.

For anyone still on the fence if the Super Hogster makes a good coyote thermal scope, here is the video of my 200th coyote with the Super Hogster since September. I have been posting videos of this epic season on the Night Goggles YouTube Channel.

200th Coyote Video.

YouTube Video

Congrats, you must've been overrun with coyote in your area of Nebraska !
I would've bought one instead of the Thermion XP38 if they had it available in a 640 res, like they did with the Phenom.
I just had to have a 640 res scope after looking through one.

I took your word for it and ordered the Phenom 640 12um unit from Tom on Friday. I’ll report back with my finding when I get the unit in three weeks and either praise you or call you on BS lol. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on it.

If I’m wrong and it is BS, you have a 7 day return guarantee. I get $0 on commissions so I say it like it is including the good and the bad.

If I’m wrong and it is BS, you have a 7 day return guarantee. I get $0 on commissions so I say it like it is including the good and the bad.
Figured I’d get back with you. The phenom 640 12 um unit has been excellent ! One of these days I will figure out how to turn off the auto calibration and do it manually and it will be even better. Thanks for the advice on this unit.

Figured I’d get back with you. The phenom 640 12 um unit has been excellent ! One of these days I will figure out how to turn off the auto calibration and do it manually and it will be even better. Thanks for the advice on this unit.
I just borrowed mine to my hunting partner, so I can't tell you exactly. However, you hold down the middle button until the menu comes up and there is an option for the NUC. I believe the options are S or B. S is shutter (auto). I am not sure why a person would not want it to auto calibrate as it takes the guess work out of it.

To manually NUC the scanner, you press and hold the two buttons closest to you.

Also, the Phenom goes into hibernation after 10-15 minutes if nothing is pressed on the scanner. The way to get around this is to turn on the Video Out option (again by pressing and holding middle button and turn on Video Out) . With this option on, the thermal won't automatically go into hibernation.

If TNVC carries it, I’m sure they are good to go. For the price range I think they are hard to beat. I haven’t seen the new irays, but their mh25 is amazing for the money.

Since this thread has de-railed a bit into a Bering Optics Phenom scanner thread, here is a quick video I shot recently in fairly high humidity. Keep in mind, Bering uses the highest-compression of any thermal vendor, I have ever seen. For example, video file sizes are 6x smaller than on most Pulsar thermals. The good part of this is it means faster downloads and uploads, less storage space needed, easier to edit and post to social media, but you lose some video quality. Almost all thermals lose quality when looking at videos vs the eyepiece but it is even more so with Bering.