• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Hole on Flir scope housing

Nate60x

Carrying a C average
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2018
Hey guys,

long time lurker here with nothing helpful to say until now. But thank you to everyone on the forum for all of the helpful info. But anyway...

I bought a zeus 640 3-24-75 directly from Flir last week. Got it out of the box and noticed what looked like a cigarette burn on the scope housing. It wasn’t a burn but a hole drilled through the housing and filled with black rubber.

shoot straight

F73A9DA8-F96D-4E43-BC8A-77078CCD0320.jpeg
FD73410E-B2BF-42B9-8258-85CD277E7C65.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm curious if others have a similar hole. Looks almost like a hole used in manufacturing. Hard to imagine it was just drilled by accident, but I guess anything is possible. Hope another owner weighs in.

I have no history with that particular optic but manufacturers will often cut holes for set screws/adjustment screws and add RTV to seal the hole to waterproof or discourage adjustment. Have handled or viewed pics of similar units?

I’ve got one at home and I’m 99% sure there is no hole like that. I’ll double check when I get back to the house.

I'm curious if others have a similar hole. Looks almost like a hole used in manufacturing. Hard to imagine it was just drilled by accident, but I guess anything is possible. Hope another owner weighs in.
I have no history with that particular optic but manufacturers will often cut holes for set screws/adjustment screws and add RTV to seal the hole to waterproof or discourage adjustment. Have handled or viewed pics of similar units?

A friend of mine has a pts736 which uses the same housing and his doesnt have it, if the hole had been centered on the top of the housing i probably wouldnt have thought anything of it.

So I looked when I got home. Same hole. Dead center on the bottom of the objective housing. Never noticed it since it’s on bottom.

So I looked when I got home. Same hole. Dead center on the bottom of the objective housing. Never noticed it since it’s on bottom.

Wtf?!? After I noticed it i sent the picture to the guy i dealt with at flir and he said it looked like a defect and emailed me a return slip.

Maybe the defect is that it is supposed to be centered on the bottom and not off centered on the top.

Sorry for bashing you Flir, i guess I am the douche in this transaction.

Last edited:
I have one the very beginning pts233 scopes that I know of. Based on the fact it was ordered as soon as they came out and as I was waiting for it I would scour the forums to see who was getting theirs and doing a review of them. I know its the forums most people aren't on them, and I'm sure I'm wrong but it has a 4 digit serial as in #00025** I had an issue updating it and I called support and told them the serial number and the guy said holy crap! So I guess most of the early ones got retuned. Mine is very light compared to my brothers 233. His is very new and has three holes drilled into the dimples with set screws and epoxy. His is also heavier than mine. The weight is easily felt in hand. His has a white o-ring in the battery cap as well, while mine didn't come with it. They work the same with the same mannerisms though.

Attachments

• 20200210_185534.jpg
    20200210_185534.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200210_185506.jpg
    20200210_185506.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200210_185444.jpg
    20200210_185444.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 19