• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hollow points

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
One thing I’m finding out real fast now that I’m on this 22lr mission is that hollow points don’t group real well and they are very hard to find at least the good stuff. [maybe that’s my problem too I don’t have the good stuff] What are you guys having success with and does anybody make Target grade hollow points ? I’m enjoying the accuracy of the solid target bullets but I shot a lot groundhogs and like killing power of the hollow points.

I’ve had great results with the cci segmented subsonics as well. Surprisingly accurate

I have a few cases of Lapua HP ammo that is quite accurate and kills well.
The flat nose Eley stuff Tenex and black box Match hits fairly hard as well.

Thanks for the input the rolling your own sounds pretty cool but probably a pain, I didn’t even no that was Option. I’m going try to locate some Eley and Lapua hollow points and try those. Lupua and SK target shoots great out my CZ out to 150 haven’t tried Eley yet but have some ordered.

Federal came out with a “Hunter Match” 40 gr 1200 FPS, it right on the just slightly over sub sonic, I’ve had great results with it.

I reread the op. I would add that the .22 LR is mostly below marginal on Ground Hogs. More so at longer ranges. The HV HP is not even a sure killer on body shots.

I've killed many woodchucks with my 22LR. At least 20, probably closer to 30 over the last 20 years. I never really kept track. All were shot at 50y or less. One of my favorites was the old Win Power Points in the silver box, If you can get buy with the noisy stuff. Most all the rest were dispatched with Rem subsonic hollow points. Only one or two needed another shot to anchor in place before they made it back to the hole they burrowed under my shed. There are videos on youtube with guys in England shooting bunnies with the HP sub sonic Eley.

Mike

A few feral cats also

With good shot placement at the ranges you state the .22Lr will be fine.

The Neal Waltz sizing and pointing tool is easy to use and makes uniform rounds including sizing the diameter of the bullets.

Neal Waltz, 4105 Hyatt Avenue N.W., Massillon OH 44646-1435 Telephone: 330-837-4818. Current price may be $ 145.00 which includes shipping and handling.

Link to evaluation of this die set: http://www.portercalls.com/neal_waltz_die.htm WARNING graphic pictures

The Neal Waltz sizing and pointing tool is easy to use and makes uniform rounds including sizing the diameter of the bullets.

Neal Waltz, 4105 Hyatt Avenue N.W., Massillon OH 44646-1435 Telephone: 330-837-4818. Current price may be $ 145.00 which includes shipping and handling.

Link to evaluation of this die set: http://www.portercalls.com/neal_waltz_die.htm WARNING graphic pictures
I bought one recently and it works. I can take bulk ammo and reduce group size by one half. It still isn't equal to the expensive match ammo I tried. I will be testing more soon.