• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home made french fries?

Animal357

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    I have a small deep fryer, but my attempts have been less than impressive.

What's the best potato and which oil works best?

You need to cook them twice, you can boil the potatoes first, cook them in the oven, or deep fry them until they just start to turn colors, remove them from the oil, let the oil get back up to temperature and then put them back in to finish. It crazy how many small restaurants with "home made fries" don't know how to cook them. My wife and I always laugh. I tell her "you think they know how to make fries." And she says sure, "dump them in the deep fryer until they are all dark and soggy." LOL

Also after you cut them up, soak them in water for about 10 minutes, then dry them off for a bit before going into the fryer.

I like big russet potatoes, cut about 1/2" x1/2" down the length of the potatoes. Peanut oil @ 375°

The wife parboils them first. She gets better results.

If you like French fries, try roasting them. I use Russets, cut them into about 1/2-3/4 inch cubes, put them on a baking tin or large skillet, douse with safflower oil (any good oil will do but avoid Canola), bake in a pre heated oven at 425% F for about 3-40 minutes, turning often, you might need to add a bit of oil to keep them from sticking. Bake until golden brown and just a tad crispy.

The other important thing to do is let the cut spuds soak in water for at least half an hour. This gets a lot of the starch out.

Reactions: NoDopes
    Oven or BBQ grill works well, if you dont want to boil first. I make those all the time while grillin burger, also less crease. here is a online recipe

Oven Fries

Anyone interested in the french fry diet? It’s a legitimate thing, I promise. Double fry your fries in this oil and then cool them down in a bowl of the same oil, just at a temp low enough to just melt it. I’m sure I remembered that a little wrong but here’s the link to the oil and there’s a ton of info on the site about the diet.

The french fries guys on the boardwalk just use raw potatoes with the skin pushed through the cutter and fry until golden brown and then salt the shit out of them.

problem with smaller unit is the total amount of oil the can fit

commercial like mcdonalds hold 5-10 gallons of oil and are 208 three phase pulling 50 amps on all 3 legs

pries are cold and wet...that drops the temperature too low and then you get soggy stuff

try putting in 1/2 the amount your putting now

its almost always a oil temp problem

If you do soak them first, and you should, make sure that they are completely dry before putting them in the deep fryer. Too much excitement if they go in with water on them.

Reactions: tomcatmv
    The way I get crispy fries is to fry them until they just start to get color. Drain oil and put them in the fridge until they get cold. This usually takes at least two to three hours. Then refry them.

In Louisiana we use peanut oil. Best for deep fat frying. In the Kirste household, due to Brenda’s cholesterol problem, we use either olive oil or canola oil. The canola stands up to the heat better. Once the olive oil starts to burn its good qualities are lost. And it must be said that very little is deep fat fried (anymore) at our little cottage. :(

I got one of these to make french fries for me
    FA6A1037-0680-4B56-A529-2798831C8FD6.gif

I've been told McDonalds puts some sugar in with the salt they shake on their fries. Have no way to prove/disprove this.

Circa 1968, location Mickey D’s, best fucking fries ever made.

Idaho spuds, cut and soaked in water overnight and let completely dry, cooked in lard.

just make sure your health and med insurance is paid up. Lol.

we don't deep fry, but i don't mind ore ida steak fries in the oven.

if i really want fries, i would probably go out, and that isn't very often.

The ONLY reason I go into McDonald's is if Im traveling and need to take a shit. Even then I hold my breath for the run in and out. Those places smell foul.

I cut mine into 3/8 x 3/8 (or there abouts) strips. I heat the oil to about 370 ish because oil starts to smoke about 375. I use canola oil.

Drop a basket of them in the fryer. Make sure they are all covered in the oil. Fry them until they stop boiling and then just a little more.

Wait for the next batch until the oil comes back up to temp.

I make my own tortilla chips too. I use 'Arizona' brand. They are horrible for street tacos, great for enchiladas, and great for chips. I cut a stack of 60 into 6ths and put 2 of those into the fryer at a time. Again, when the boiling is done, the chips are done.

P2

Peanut oil is best, high temp, no burn etc. No water soak required. Cut and fry at 350 for about 2 min. Pull them up, let fryer come back up to temp and then finish. Take some salt and grind or blend to powder. It stays on the fries (or popcorn) uses less salt and tastes right. Word. Mc Ds used a little tallow (beef fat) in their peanut oil for flavor. That didn't go over well in India. Holy Cow!

Reactions: rady
    15 hour potatoes

Slice thin Yukon golds.
    Slather in melted duck fat
    Layer in parchment lined loaf pan
    Bake until tender.
    Press with another weighted loaf pan in fridge overnight.
    Turn out of loaf pan, remove parchment, slice into rectangles.
    Fry in peanut oil till crispy brown.

Your welcome.
    The duck fat is the key here. I flash boil the potatoes to bring the starches to the surface, shake them around to increase the surface area of the outer starch layer, then cook them in the duck fat. No oil can come close to the crispy deliciousness of duck fat. I make them with homemade dill aioli. Game changer.

1,000,000 calories of heavenly goodness.

If you can get then try some chippers. Otherwise Yukon Golds. Russet as a last resort.

Soak in water.

Dry.

Cook small batches so you don't cool your oil.

Next time you cut up a bunch of beef or trim out a big brisket save all the hard fat you can.

Put it in a pot of water and boil it.
    Let it cool completely.
    Pluck out the fat puck, rinse off the bottom side. I normally repeat with a rinsed out pot and clean water.

You just rendered out lard for free, pure tasty lard. You can put it in a ziploc or better yet melt in a clean dry pot on low, cool then poor in a plastic container with a lid.

I refrigerate mine, not sure if you need to but there are no preservatives.

Add that to your frying oil or use to season cast iron ect.

Left over bacon grease is saved in the fridge as well.

Use in moderation you should not guzzle the stuff.

Next time you cut up a bunch of beef or trim out a big brisket save all the hard fat you can.

Put it in a pot of water and boil it.
    Let it cool completely.
    Pluck out the fat puck, rinse off the bottom side. I normally repeat with a rinsed out pot and clean water.

You just rendered out lard for free, pure tasty lard. You can put it in a ziploc or better yet melt in a clean dry pot on low, cool then poor in a plastic container with a lid.

I refrigerate mine, not sure if you need to but there are no preservatives.

Add that to your frying oil or use to season cast iron ect.

Left over bacon grease is saved in the fridge as well.

Use in moderation you should not guzzle the stuff.

You litterally can't render lard from beef.

That is tallow.
    Lard only comes from hogs.

Bunch of posers on here.

You litterally can't render lard from beef.

That is tallow.
    Lard only comes from hogs.

Bunch of posers on here.
    Well chicken is correct it's tallow, but around here we call it lard so it's not confused with the crisco.

I'm out of the tallow (beef lard) at the moment unless thiers some in the freezer. Here's some bacon lard from my fridge.

20210713_093723.jpg

Chicken can use some for man to man lube.

• Love
    Reactions: armorpl8chikn