• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Home protection Rifle

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I am looking for an AR-15 for a home protection rifle. I believe I want a short barrel(16"), and a collapsible stock. I want to leave the rifle with open sights, so I am not concerned if it is a flat top or not. I really don't need a flat top.

I am looking for a light weight rifle in general. The most important accessory I want is a great trigger. The rifle must have a great triger. I will probably do some off hand shooting out to 200 yards with this rifle, so I want a great trigger.

Other than upgrading the trigger I am just looking for a well functioning rifle. No need for an expensive rifle or a custom rifle. But as stated above, I want to make sure it has a great trigger.

Should I buy the upper and lower separately?? What trigger's should I be looking at?? Any recommendations for a complete rifle?? Then send the lower off for a trigger upgrade?? Send to who??

I would like to keep the total price below $1,000 if I can. Even a little lower if possible. I would like an accurate rifle. But it does not have to be a tack driver. All my shooting will be off hand practice and home defense.

I like the idea of ordering a better grade lower so if I want to buy upgraded upper's in the future I will have a great lower to put the new upper on. Can I buy a realy nice lower from a builder for a decent price?? How much for one with an upgraded trigger?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: Home protection Rifle

Rock River Arms has all you want. Complete rifle, lowers, uppers, and their NM trigger is one of the best.
Also ck. out White Oak Armament, John Hollinger is one of the best at custom AR work.
$1000 will get you a very good AR.

Coach

I just keep an AK loaded with FMJs in the bathroom for home protection. The idea is that I should be able to hear the general area where somebody in my house is, and just shoot through the walls at them. I don't live with family, I don't like my roommates, and I don't like my neighbors.

Just joking. I used a timney trigger on a friend's AR and thought it was very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">home protection rifle is called a shotgun

just sayin</div></div>

+1

There is a lot of ignorance in this thread.

With judicious choices in ammunition such as Hornady 55 grain TAP, an AR15 is a perfectly viable home defense rifle even in crowded urban or suburban areas.

Anyone who thinks that anti-personnel shotgun ammo is somehow "safe" to use in a home without regards to overpenetration needs to cruise on over to the box o'truth and get an education on the subject.

To answer the OP, my choice is a mutt that I slapped together. Complete DPMS lower, swapped stock DPMS trigger for two-stage Rock River trigger tuned by White Oak Precision, basic LMT 16" carbine flat top upper with standard front sight, Larue rear sight, and Aimpoint CompC in Larue mount.

The rear sight is fixed in the up position and it co-witnesses with the front on the lower third of the optical sight. When aiming with the irons and the optic is switched on, the dot is on top of the front sight post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot of ignorance in this thread.

With judicious choices in ammunition such as Hornady 55 grain TAP, an AR15 is a perfectly viable home defense rifle even in crowded urban or suburban areas.

Anyone who thinks that anti-personnel shotgun ammo is somehow "safe" to use in a home without regards to overpenetration needs to cruise on over to the box o'truth and get an education on the subject.

To answer the OP, my choice is a mutt that I slapped together. Complete DPMS lower, swapped stock DPMS trigger for two-stage Rock River trigger tuned by White Oak Precision, basic LMT 16" carbine flat top upper with standard front sight, Larue rear sight, and Aimpoint CompC in Larue mount.

The rear sight is fixed in the up position and it co-witnesses with the front on the lower third of the optical sight. When aiming with the irons and the optic is switched on, the dot is on top of the front sight post.</div></div>

Surprised you didnt go with a counter sniper scope.

Ever seen what happens when you shoot a .223 through drywall? Including a 55gr TAP?

Take some gypsum board to the range sometime, cut it into squares and stand them up. Fire at it. Then come back and you can let us know how many it went through before it stopped.

Oh look I can save you some time...

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Check out the testing that was done with TAP 75% down the page. The guy only took three out but it penetrated all 3. If I fire a rifle through the hallway in my house, thats really all it will take is 2 or 3 and that bullet is out in the environment.

Ok, my home defense AR is a 10.5" Noveske Upper SBR in 6.8mm shooting Barnes 95 TTSX or 110 Accubonds; the lower is a RRA with a Geissele SSA trigger and to top it off a Surefire 225 Lumens flashlight. If the light doesn't blind you the the bullets sure will. And, I live out in the country so over penetration is not a problem except for the perp.

Optic - Aimpoint with co-witnessed BUIS.

Back-up Weapon is a Glock 19 with flashlight and laser.

If I were to go with a 223 Hornady TAP would Top my list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, my home defense AR is a 10.5" Noveske Upper SBR in 6.8mm shooting Barnes 95 TTSX or 110 Accubonds; the lower is a RRA with a Geissele SSA trigger and to top it off a Surefire 225 Lumens flashlight. If the light doesn't blind you the the bullets sure will. And, I leave out in the country so over penetration is not a problem except for the perp.

Optic - Aimpoint with cowitnesed BUIS. </div></div>

There you go, there is a situation where it makes sense.

Remember that many modern rounds are a trade off. Look at the test from my link above with the 40 gr v-MAX. Actually under-penetrated relative to handgun rounds. However it also is likely to under penetrate against a soft target.

Increasing terminal performance also means that terminal ballistics against common intermediary barriers in the suburban environment can potentially be elevated as well.

If you aren't in the boonies, go with a shotgun. And practice with it. Including IN YOUR HOUSE. Know which lines of fire are no-go because any pellets or rounds in that direction are practically guaranteed to end up in your neighbor's house.

Put me in the ignorant crowd.
IMHO, the AR is a fine "bug out" rifle and everyone should have one along with a nice bug out bag with ammo, mags, etc.
The shotgun is a much better choice for home defense.

This is what I use right here. I hope it helps.
ac4u36.jpg

You could really fortify yourself in the bedroom with this thing. Just keep firing until you are out of rounds or they stop coming...

Gau8a_a.jpg

Dpms oracle, you can pick one up for under 700 if you look at online gun sale sites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot of ignorance in this thread.

The rear sight is fixed in the up position and it co-witnesses with the front on the lower third of the optical sight. When aiming with the irons and the optic is switched on, the dot is on top of the front sight post.</div></div>

Surprised you didnt go with a counter sniper scope.

Ever seen what happens when you shoot a .223 through drywall? Including a 55gr TAP?

Take some gypsum board to the range sometime, cut it into squares and stand them up. Fire at it. Then come back and you can let us know how many it went through before it stopped.

Oh look I can save you some time...

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Check out the testing that was done with TAP 75% down the page. The guy only took three out but it penetrated all 3. If I fire a rifle through the hallway in my house, thats really all it will take is 2 or 3 and that bullet is out in the environment. </div></div>

Yeah. Shotguns loaded with buck are soooo safe inside a house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This load was Remington 2 3/4", #4 Buck, 27 pellets.

This is the damage to the sheetrock.

It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the 7th sheet.

Notice how the wall "collapsed" under the shot.
</div></div>

The Box O'Truth tests shotgun over penetration

Good test, Oddball. It definitely shows what a variety of weapons and ammo does.

I did a drywall test with five walls, and my take on the penetration thing is that buckshot and handguns penetrate way way way more than AR rifles. Almost every 5.56 round was in several pieces after 2 or 3 walls.

From the face of the 5th wall:
100_3168.jpg

See here - http://fateoflegions.blogspot.com/2011/02/home-defense-guns.html

And here - http://fateoflegions.blogspot.com/2011/02/drywall-test-ammo.html

To answer the OP, I would pick up a DPMS Oracle or AP4 rifle and hang a light on it. They aren't very expensive - a couple hundred under your budget, new - and you would have funds left over for a good trigger and light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could really fortify yourself in the bedroom with this thing. Just keep firing until you are out of rounds or they stop coming...

Gau8a_a.jpg
</div></div>

One of these hooked up to an automated turret, with thermal optics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">home protection rifle is called a shotgun

just sayin</div></div>

YUP!

Mossy or Remmy pump S/G loaded w/#8 shot.
Remember, that EVERY round you fire in a civi-SD shooting IS a lawsuit at the very least,OR jail time at the worst.BTDT!
Respectfully,
LG

Pretty much any off the shelf AR will do what you are asking for. I am a fan of giessele 2 stage triggers. I prefer the 2 stage over single stage especially for CQB. If you want longer range accuracy you might want to replace your front sight post with a national match front sight post.
If you aren't going to put any optics on the gun get a fixed front sight and a full size carrying handle rear sight. They are more rugged and if it is your sole source of aiming you can't chance them becoming damaged.
If it is for home defense don't skimp on your gunlight. Get a good one (I shoot surefire) and practice with it at the range.
Over penetration is a consideration for home defense. It can work for or against you. I personally like the ability to shoot through walls or other possible light cover. That may or may not be a possibility where you live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">home protection rifle is called a shotgun

just sayin</div></div>

YUP!</div></div>

....there are some that know what a "yes sir gun" is.......and of course it is defensive .....the AR however could be construed as an offensive tool.......

discharging an Ar in a room without hearing protection means major hearing loss, a shotgun is a lot more appropriate even with bird shot, at across the room distances, it is just about a slug.
hope this helps.

An AR fired in a room is quite deafening especially with a brake. That can be an advantage to you also. That noise in addition to a good gunlight, and being hit repeatedly by .556 rounds is extremely distracting to the assailant.
That being said my wife has a Benelli M1 Super 90 loaded with birdshot as her home defense gun.

"That being said my wife has a Benelli M1 Super 90 loaded with birdshot as her home defense gun."
along with the twin glocks in each night stand with the x300s
+1

looks like Doug has been to a NSW Crane class.

I have a 16" M4A3 for home defense.

What I don't have is a great trigger. Don't get me wrong, I have an ATC AR Gold in my target AR, but there's no way I'd want a trigger like that in a home defense situation.

When the adrenaline is pumping, I'd much rather put a round through the bad guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, my home defense AR is a 10.5" Noveske Upper SBR in 6.8mm shooting Barnes 95 TTSX or 110 Accubonds; the lower is a RRA with a Geissele SSA trigger and to top it off a Surefire 225 Lumens flashlight. If the light doesn't blind you the the bullets sure will. And, I leave out in the country so over penetration is not a problem except for the perp.

Optic - Aimpoint with cowitnesed BUIS. </div></div>

There you go, there is a situation where it makes sense.

Remember that many modern rounds are a trade off. Look at the test from my link above with the 40 gr v-MAX. Actually under-penetrated relative to handgun rounds. However it also is likely to under penetrate against a soft target.

Increasing terminal performance also means that terminal ballistics against common intermediary barriers in the suburban environment can potentially be elevated as well.

If you aren't in the boonies, go with a shotgun. And practice with it. Including IN YOUR HOUSE. Know which lines of fire are no-go because any pellets or rounds in that direction are practically guaranteed to end up in your neighbor's house. </div></div>

Pretty much everything penetrates in that test you linked. Worrying about over penetration is fucking silly. There is no magic bullet.

Choose the weapon you are most familiar with and use the best defensive ammo (That functions).

My choice is an AR-15 carbine and plain old XM193. I've seen enough TAP laying on the ground with the ballistic tip all fuckered up after a police training course to know that I wouldn't want to use it. This little bullet(55gr) has taken out enough bad dudes, to be fine for my use. I have a huge amount of hours on the carbine vs. a shotgun or pistol.

Anyone of the shotgun advocates done 3gun? Ever watch even the best shotgun shooters during 3gun? You know with all the fancy gear and huge magazine tubes? Compared to their rifle work, they always are slower with the shotgun. It's slow to feed, it's got a slow recoil impulse which increases split time. Even the lightest shotguns(of legal length) have a moment that makes driving the firearm from target to target slower. 3gun shooters also have to shoot a load that's of some note in order to knock steel down. Most will run something like 4buck. Still it's way less recoil than 00buck. Finally if you pattern 00buck the spread is pretty small for inside distances. (cylinder bore, 18.5"bbl).

Of course if you connect with a shotgun an 00buck it will be devastating. But if you miss, you'll have a longer time getting back on target for a followup shot.

I love these threads.

It is quickly apparent who has no clue what they are talking about. This is one of those topics that everyone seems to feel qualified to take a stab at.

However they do provide entertainment for those who actually have the qualifications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love these threads.

It is quickly apparent who has no clue what they are talking about. This is one of those topics that everyone seems to feel qualified to take a stab at.

However they do provide entertainment for those who actually have the qualifications.</div></div>

Appreciate how you shared your experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Appreciate how you shared your experience. </div></div>

Didn't feel the need. Everyone else has it covered. Now YOU just have to figure out who knows what the hell they are talking about.

I never have felt the need to shout above the din of ignorance.

I think there are quite a few more factors that come into play other than picking a gun. When I decided what I wanted for my "home protection firearm" I took into consideration the layout of my house, where a perp would likely be compared to where my children are sleeping, how far away my neighbors are, ease for my wife to use it and more. I decided on a Mossberg 12ga. It is loaded with 5 rounds of 00 buck and the last round is a 2 3/4 slug. Also have a stock pack on it that holds a additional 5 rounds of 00 buck. For me this is what I thought made most sense. Every situation could be different. I also considered a AR platform in 6.8 but decided against this. I figured if I can't defend myself with my Mossberg at least enough to get to another firearm I ought to be shot anyways. Good luck with your choice and I hope you never have to use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Appreciate how you shared your experience. </div></div>

Didn't feel the need. Everyone else has it covered. Now YOU just have to figure out who knows what the hell they are talking about.

I never have felt the need to shout above the din of ignorance.</div></div>

In your case however you have a good deal of experience both military and police. Local PD policy and project metropolis testing data both color my viewpoint.

If you have a local viewpoint which is driven by different data, yours is an opinion I respect and I would be interested in your take.

If I am wrong I am wrong, but I can't correct my ignorance without positive data to replace it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....the AR however could be construed as an offensive tool...... </div></div>

LOL!!! Are you fucking serious?

I honestly don't give a shit about appearances. Someone illegally in my house is bought and paid for courtesy of my state's castle doctrine law.

HE, the intruder, is automatically presumed as a matter of law to be in my dwelling to cause death or severe injury. How I take him down after I establish that he is a threat is immaterial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> being hit repeatedly by .556 rounds is extremely distracting to the assailant. </div></div>

+1

grin.gif

lol

You asked for an AR15 so I will not suggest a shotgun even though I prefer my M1S90 inside because of more energy to the target IMO.
I have a Colt SP1 16" Skinny barrel with a col stock set up with a Krieger 2 stage trigger that I would use.... if I didn't have the M1S90. They both stay loaded!

Not much is scarier than hearing the cocking of a shotgun when you know you aint doing anything legal. IMHO, the bolt closing on an AR is just as scary, but the way I see it is, you probably won't need to use it for what you want it for, being home defense... But IF you do, the anti-gun advocates will jump ALL OVER you for using an "assault weapon" over the same senario but with a shotgun. Have you ever seen what birdshot will do to the human body from close distances? It's incredible. Not that a 223 isn't... but the shotgun is still better in my book.

Don't worry about the trigger though, if it's a home defense rifle, because IF it comes that time when you have to use it for its intended purpose, you won't notice if it's a nice 2lb double stage trigger, a crappy mil 7lb trigger, or anything else. I gurantee you will not give a crap. Or notice the difference.

Build a nice AR for offhand, and buy a decent shotty for the possibility that your home will need defending.

HTH
-Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But IF you do, the anti-gun advocates will jump ALL OVER you for using an "assault weapon" over the same senario but with a shotgun. </div></div>
You don't understand much about anti gunners. They are opposed to ALL civilian use and ownership of firearms. Besides that, I frankly don't GAF what they think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen what birdshot will do to the human body from close distances? It's incredible.</div></div>
It doesn't penetrate worth a shit which is why no police department on earth uses it when the application of deadly force is needed and justified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If I am wrong I am wrong, but I can't correct my ignorance without positive data to replace it. </div></div>

Here is the problem with the HD argument.

First, folks want a black and white answer. The world is NOT black and white. It's varying shades of gray splattered with blood red.

If someone asks me in person what they should get for a home defense weapon, I automatically answer it with a series of questions. Most of the time the person is asking me because they have little firearms experience and are confused by the vast array of choices at the gun counter. For those folks ballistics don't matter. Magazine capacity doesn't matter. In fact the courtroom doesn't even matter because in order to make it to that stage you have to first survive the violent encounter. For them I usually suggest a .38 or .357 revolver. This is also actually my "last line" weapon because they are inexpensive, easily stashed and when you are broken and bleeding they are easy to jam in the gut and pull the trigger until it goes "click".

Now if a service member is asking me the same question, almost 99.99% of the time if they have had any exposure to the M16 family of weapons, I suggest a light AR with a weapon light. They already have some familiarity with the weapon and a long gun WILL be more accurate than a pistol even in close quarters. I have seen this time and time again in force on force training. The AR is a simple weapon to operate and if a quality example is bought and quality ammunition used, the chances of a malfunction are extremely low. If the homeowner decides on an AR I highly suggest that they take a basic carbine class to familiarize themselves with clearing malfunctions and drills that the military tends to miss.

If the homeowner is a hunter and has a couple good shotguns laying about, then the answer is extremely simple. Load up some reduced recoil 00 buck and roll. It's a proven manstopper, won't thump your shoulder and in reality some of the monster 3" loads guys like just aren't necessary. If the shotgun is an autoloader then the chosen defensive load should be verified for function. Patterning can be done but really at CQB distances a cylinder bore is still going to be very tight. If the shotgun is a pump I suggest that the operator knows how to clear a double feed and that they get some dummy shells or spend some quality time every couple of weeks blowing some birdshot through it. Folks have been known to short-stroke pumps under stress. I have done it when I push for maximum speed on the scattergun.

Do you have a house full of kids that you may need to round up? Then a pistol may be a better choice. It's a lot easier to manipulate a flashlight, lightswitch, doorknob, etc. with a pistol than with a shotgun or rifle. Carrying younguns is also easier with a one handed blaster.

Now we come to the crux of the problem. Every alpha male likes to see themselves as the action hero flowing through the house and getting the drop on the badguy. The cold hard truth is it takes a professional more than a year of steady training before they become comfortable and proficient in clearing a house in a team environment. As an individual it is an almost impossible task. SWAT teams train to never go into a room alone. How many team members will you have at 0-dark-thirty to clear your house?

Walk through your house tonight and find the choke point between the entry and the bedrooms. That is your Thermopylae. That is where you need to be able to cover and prevent anyone from passing. You don't need to go protect your TV or your XBox. You need to protect living bodies. If you live in an apartment, then make sure you can quickly barricade the door to the bedroom and make a stand there. Have access to a land line and a cell phone. If you call 911 by cell the first thing out of your mouth should be the address. That way if something happens before you can explain the problem the po-po are rolling to you. Cell phone callers suck at this and very frequently a hot run comes in and police have to spend an hour trying to figure out where in the several square miles around a cell tower the call actually came from.

If you decide that you are too much of a man to bunker in place or your stuff is worth more than your life, then you need to get some professional training on close quarters battle with your chosen weapon. I would also suggest you invest in some armor and make sure your insurance policy is paid. Home invaders are getting better armed. Even a ratty stolen SKS can do a number on you, your Galls used body armor and your pile of Tactical Gear.

In the end it's not about what you choose. It's about how you choose to use it and how proficient you are with executing the plan. No plan survives first contact, so have a contingency for that.

Lastly, everyone worries about the legal aspects. To get to the legal aspects you have to SURVIVE THE ENCOUNTER. I am not an attorney and I don't profess to know all the legal precedents set around the country regarding lethal force encounters. I can tell you I am not aware of a single legitimate burglary/home invasion in my area where a homeowner has shot and seriously injured the criminal and been successfully sued OR charged with a crime. By legitimate I mean drugs were not involved and the criminal did not have a prior relationship with the "victim". I don't know offhand what states still have a "duty to retreat" law on the books. Most have gone the other way and enacted "castle doctrine". This basically states that you may legally assume that someone breaking into your residence intends to do you bodily harm and you may defend yourself up to and including lethal force. Some states have extended this to occupied vehicles and businesses. In either case, if you remember that lethal force is only to be used to prevent serious bodily harm to you or another and is a last resort, then you have done all you can. At that point AK or grandpops H&R isn't going to matter.

Civil litigation is a whole nother ball of wax and anyone can be sued for anything. Hire a good lawyer and know that you did the right thing. Some states have laws to prevent a lawsuit in the event the shooting was justified. Some lawsuits can be shot down rather quickly. Only you and your lawyer will be able to make an accurate determination on how to proceed based on your specific situation.

A shooting is messy. There isn't any way to make it all "skittles and sunshine". The political climate of where you live will have bearing on how the investigation goes.

If you are involved in a self defense shooting in your home, you may be handcuffed. You will be questioned. Your weapon will be seized. You may be made to feel like a criminal instead of a victim. It's not on purpose it's just the way it goes. This is where that "last resort" thing comes in. If you KNOW it was you or them, then there is no turmoil. You will know that you did what you had to do to continue to breath or to protect your family. If you shot someone because you were worried they were going to steal your TV, you may experience a little more stress.

You may always invoke your Miranda Rights and remain silent when questioned. Depending on the circumstances this may be a good idea until you have spoken with a lawyer. However this also may lead to you being placed under arrest and charged. If the detectives can't gather enough information to determine if the shooting was justified then you may find yourself in custody until you and your lawyer can talk to a judge. I have a lawyer I can contact 24/7 if I am involved in a lethal force situation. It's one of the perks of my professional organization. It may be a good idea to seek out a lawyer and spend some money for his advice before you find yourself in this type of situation.

As you can see, there isn't a simple "get a shotgun" type answer. I could tell you to get a belt-fed machine gun, but it doesn't prepare you for the situation any more than a baseball bat.

We can talk ballistics all day long. Gelatin blocks are cool. So is blowing up wallboard. However it's not a block of gel that's going to break into your house, rape your dog, kill your wife and steal your TV. It's easy to kill a human. It's hard to kill them fast. Learning to do it can take a lifetime. How long that is, is up to you.

What I use for HD is immaterial. Everything I have at my disposal I have trained with extensively. Not many folks are in the same boat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not much is scarier than hearing the cocking of a shotgun when you know you aint doing anything legal.</div></div>

It's also a great way to loose reactionary time. Get behind the OODA loop and orient the enemy to your location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you ever seen what birdshot will do to the human body from close distances? </div></div>

More times than I care to remember. The only time I saw it actually cause an immediate incapacitation was when it was placed squarely against the bottom of the jaw and angled upward through the soft palate into the cranial vault. Not only was it instant, but it also did not exit. So unless you are planning on delivering a Ninja contact shot to the soft structures of the head I would chuck that idea. Clothing and distance will all but eliminate the possibility of anything other than a wounding shot. We have had folks walking around the ER that have taken a face full of shot.

If you have experience counter to this, please let me know. I would be happy to hear the county and approximate date so I can pull the information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't understand much about anti gunners. They are opposed to ALL civilian use and ownership of firearms. Besides that, I frankly don't GAF what they think

It doesn't penetrate worth a shit which is why no police department on earth uses it when the application of deadly force is needed and justified.</div></div>

I understand that they are ALL opposed to ALL firearms but they seem to get much more support against iconic military weapons (ar-15's) than they do for the average household shotgun. I gurantee if you gave them the choice on which to ban from use they would unanimously pick the ar-15's over the shotguns 10 times out of ten. I dgaf what they think either but there have been weapon bans and I would like for none to ever come up again. I prefer to shy away from giving the anti's reasons to pester us more with their bullshit.

I'm not arguing I'm just stating my opinion and experience... But I was out hunting and even after bouncing off of a t.v. screen from about 15 yards away, and flying a few feet more back the other direction, lead bird shot still managed to bury itself into the skin of my knuckles, chest, arm, and my rifles wooden forearm. If that had been point blank without any rebounding I gurantee that would have done immense damage. I can tell you I personally would have been scared shitless. You may be more of a man then me, but I gurantee that would have done quite a bit of damage to your soft tissue regardless of how deep it penetrates.

Again, not arguing, just stating my opinions.

And also a note that I DO NOT have anything conclusive to my thoughts on birdshot. I THINK It's a great deterrant(sp) but again, have no basis to back this theory up with. I am done posting though, I hate getting caught into these threads, please excuse my ignorance.

Great info here lonewolf. If you don't already plan to do an article on the subject, this might be a great start to one.

And I definitely understand/agree with the room clearing point. My goal is simply push forward far enough that the bedroom and nursury doors are clear and behind me while my wife calls in on the bedroom phone.

E.g. go through me to get to them.

The terminal ballistics balance has a lot of data from a lot of sources its unfortunate that more of the reputable results are not widely published.

I perfer a shotgun loaded with turkey loads for first 2 shots then buck shot, I have witnessed what bird shot does to a human body at less than 30' twice. It is not pretty both were torso hits and they both dropped basically where they were standing when shot.

If i was going to use an ar I would want to load it with light JHPs like TAPS or the WW white box 45 grs to lesson over penetration. I wouldn't go with anything special just a simple STag or Bushy with a factory trigger and no mall ninja add ons except a light.

LW,

Great post, I appreciate you sharing that with the rest of us.

Regards,
Maarten