• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Home Tanning Kits - Any good ones?

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
Looking to shoot some local red fox now that the weather is getting cooler. Would like to skin and tan to hang in my man cave. Anybody have any experience with the home tanning kits? Suggestions, likes or dislikes appreciated.

Re: Home Tanning Kits - Any good ones?

depending on what part of maryland you are in i have a better suggestion. Theres a man there goes by Legget he's probably hands down the best trapper in the state. I go up to Maryland every year for a big fox hunt. The man tans all of his hides and when that number is in the hundreds or thousands on some years 5 or 10 doesn't really make a difference to him. He charged me 15 dollars a piece for 10 good reds. quality was as good as my taxidermist does for 150 dollars.

you can google him he has his own website. this is not a service that he offeres but if your nice I do not see him saying no to you.

Leggetts website
the man is incredible first thing youll see when you go to his site is that he caught 1220 red fox in 53 days!!!

hope this helps

Tag....got a good coyote skin in the freezer that I want to tan.

Thanks for the info. He's about 45 min up the road from me. Funnist thing is our county exec. is also named Leggett, and he puts most PETA folks to shame.

Brain Tan works for a poor mans tan. I did on a bobcat that I killed and is still haninging on my wall for the past 3.5 years and hasn't lost any fur.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Here's the one my wife uses. Super consistent results.</span></span>

tanning-bed-apart-3.jpg

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">SEXY</span></span>

sundamagedskin.jpg

OH Whoops. When i read the title of this thread i had something completely different in mind
grin.gif

Ive used tandy leather tannint and ALum with great success.

A friend who is a buckskinner Brain tans everything he kills. They are alot more softer then any of the chemical tanner I have used