• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade curing oven

BigJim375

Smoke Eater
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Chugiak, Alaska
In the process now of building a curing oven for cerakote. I'm skinning a frame with sheet metal and insulating it with duct board. I will be using a pid Temp controller to regulate temp and not to familiar with it yet. Any input would be great. Thanks.

I would contact Killswitch Engage. He seems to have an excellent grasp on DIY projects including cerecoat ovens.

I know a guy that does it all the time and he took a job box, turned it on edge so it opens toward you, gutted an old oven with the controls, element, thermostat and all and it works awesome, he can hang two or three barreled actions at a time.

The job box sounds like a great idea. No fab needed. Wish I would of thought of that before buying a ton of sheet metal.

It seems to me an upright cooler converted would be a goodern.

I plan on doing many paint jobs so I wanted something beefy and that would allow me to cure a bunch at a time. I bought the metal a while back and this is what I got done today.

BigJim, did you by chance do a search on Cerakote oven builds here, or anything like that? There is a wealth of information here, and a number of build threads already. I know, as one of them is mine. And there are others which are much better than mine.

Just checked out your build Sean and it looks great. I like the idea of using fireboard on the inside. I was thinking of using duct board on the outside and sealing the cracks with fire caulk but think fire board will work much better. I have the same exact pid as the one you used and only thing needed now is a thermometer to measure the inside temp and a fan to circulate air. Will post more pics soon.

IMG_0306.jpg used a propane fish frier with regulartor to heat i have about $220 in the setup

Yeah, ours was the one with the 'locker'. And yes, we also are the ones who used the "fireboard" as insulation. This is based on the fact that "Fireboard" is the primary insulation used in most "gun-safes" to so-called (protect) your firearms from a housefire type situation.

They also use that stuff as the primary insulation in most of the "home document safes" and whatnot. So, we thought we were doing the right thing, and it truly fit with my budget at the time. So I will say, that yeah, it did 'work', sorta. Work being the figurative word.

We are seriously contemplating dismantling the unit, and pulling out the fireboard and replacing it with the actual "Spun & Compressed Insulation" that is/can also be wrapped in that tin-foil type stuff. Obviously, the name of the stuff evades me at the moment, but the point is, over time, (say about forty-five minutes to an hour) you CANNOT touch the outside of the oven. Ergo, that is simply Heat Loss, and I don't see that as practical, logical, or prudent.

Only thing about that re-do is, having to undo everything we had done to assemble it, re-fit it with the new insulation (and support the inner box) and then re-fit it all back together. At the moment, there are only about eleventy other tasks that seem to be more important at the moment. I just don't like looking at something, and knowing it could be done better, with this hindsight. How to put more hours in the day?

So everyone, learn from others mistakes. That PID really IS the cats-ass, and the oven really does work really good. Hell, it excels at the job. One just can't touch the outside after a while. For the job it does, it works. The outcome of the product though is what matters.

Hope that helps. Oh yeah. We don't use any kind of "circulating fan" either.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time locating " fireboard". When I google it it comes up as cement board used as firestops in residential structures. Not exactly an insulation type material. I'm considering using HVAC duct board on the inside and outside of the oven. Think this will work good. I've been going over the PID and it looks like it shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for your help nailer.

BigJim, just to be concise:

Fireboard is an ambiguous term. It is the "Fire Protection Version" of standard Gyproc/Drywall/Sheetrock/Wallboard/Gypsumboard/Chalk-Wall/White-Crap and Shit-Sheet. There are so many names for that interior wall covering, that depending on the location of the country determines the local 'attribute'.

There is a thicker (5/8ths and up) version with fiberglas mixed into it, to prevent housefires from spreading. THIS is what most safes (cheap) are lined with, as their 'fire protection liner'. And that stuff is shit, so, that is why I recommend an actual compressed-spun-fiberglass stuff. To actually retain the heat.

I figured I'd use the 'economical industry standard' only to realize afterwards how 'low' the standards actually are.

Hope that helps.

Sean - I think the insulation you might be looking for is called mineral wool. It comes in many forms, round for pipe, flat etc. I'd use it before I used the foil backed fiberglass. There is an industrial insulation supply store near my location that carries it so I suspect most any industrial insulation provider would have it.

When building an oven, don't you need some sort of vent for the built-up heat? Otherwise it has no choice but to radiate thru the walls (taking a toll on the oven and insulation materials).

From looking around I figured that fireboard is basically a fire stop and truly meant for insulation. But I think I will use it for a backing for duct board just to help a little.

guys,
may want to take a look at kaowool.. i dont know the cost or even if it will work for you, but i do know that it holds up to extreme temps.
we just uesd some to wrap some weld test on a material that had to run up to 1375 degrees..we also use it to wrap high pressure high temp steam lines

hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion, I am looking into that. For those on the fence though, the PID controller is THE way to go.

I'm looking at getting a second one, for my smoker.