• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To paint, or not to paint.

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
So I have a McMillan A5a in Desert camo. It's neat, and I do like it. It was first "real nice" stock. I'm just not sure I'm in love with the color as much as I once was. And, there is no desert ANYWHERE near my AO 🤷‍♂️

So my question here: should I paint to change the scheme? Add layers utilizing the desert under-layer?

Can it be Cerakote? Got a guy for that.

Or is it a better option to just post it up, and see if a trade arises? I'm not, and never have been, opposed to paint. But the molded in camos look great, and wear like iron. I would also have to do some homework regarding oven cure Cerakote on a fiberglass stock.

Thanks in advance; any and all insight is appreciated.

I’m on both ends

Like you I’m tired of green/tan/black. Unless it’s supposed to be that color. Like a green tac ops with black stippling etc.

So I’ve taken to :
spray paint, 3-4 colors in random pattern

Different colors , I have a copper chassis which looks cool ..to me lol

If your going to paint do something different.

Your not stalking pray or defending your town from invaders…get something non tactical that looks cool

I just saw a Mitsubishi EVO, lowered but not much in a white, gray, black camo. Not a ricer fan but it looked so good.

So good that the Next real paint job I get will be a winter camo.

Other than that they get krylon

Edit

found a similar look

CB6286C1-0D26-40CD-B7CE-C7A8558258F6.jpeg

Reactions: AMGtuned
I’m on both ends

Like you I’m tired of green/tan/black. Unless it’s supposed to be that color. Like a green tac ops with black stippling etc.

So I’ve taken to :
spray paint, 3-4 colors in random pattern

Different colors , I have a copper chassis which looks cool ..to me lol

If your going to paint do something different.

Your not stalking pray or defending your town from invaders…get something non tactical that looks cool

I just saw a Mitsubishi EVO, lowered but not much in a white, gray, black camo. Not a ricer fan but it looked so good.

So good that the Next real paint job I get will be a winter camo.

Other than that they get krylon

Edit

found a similar look

View attachment 8100486
I have a Leadfoot F150 that I've considered wrapping in snow camo. Cliché now, I think, but I like it.

This is another setup I've been working with. It's Cerakote Blue Titanium. Slightly scratches my itch for odd.
IMG_20221126_175703_01.jpg

Probably could go at the desert camo with some blacks and greens, and get a MC of sorts 🤷‍♂️

Really, just undecided on lots of it right now.

Reactions: brianf
I keep painting all my guns desert-ish camo because:
1. I have the paint. :)
2. It's easy to replace what I'm out of.
3. It's easy. :D

I guess it goes well with the sand at my range? But certainly not where I hunt. (where I don't really need camo either)
And those camo jobs are for "show", way too busy and dense to work well as camo from a distance. Eh.. who cares.

This is hydro dip film, it would look great on a rifle. "Dessert camo" ;)

s-l500.jpg

I keep painting all my guns desert-ish camo because:
1. I have the paint. :)
2. It's easy to replace what I'm out of.
3. It's easy. :D

I guess it goes well with the sand at my range? But certainly not where I hunt. (where I don't really need camo either)
And those camo jobs are for "show", way too busy and dense to work well as camo from a distance. Eh.. who cares.

This is hydro dip film, it would look great on a rifle. "Dessert camo" ;)

View attachment 8100681
The same guy that does my Cerakote, does hydrographics. I love some of the films available; and if you use automotive type, ceramic clear coat, it's tough as hell. There are some awesome sticker-bomb ones as well.

And, there is virtually no sand where I live. Except the beach: and half of that is rock/ledge, and I certainly can't shoot there.

Edited for punctuation

I’ve oven cured all types of stocks including McMillan. You just have to reduce the temp and let it bake longer. Cerakote instructions even state this for various materials.

paint it if you want to you could even have your kids finger paint it making it a family project if you have kids . send pics on how it turns out . I loved the sprinkles idea

paint it if you want to you could even have your kids finger paint it making it a family project if you have kids . send pics on how it turns out . I loved the sprinkles idea
You know, that's a good idea 💡

I live near Ft Bragg( Liberty is such a dumb name) and with the huge variability in places I hunt, all my rifles can and have been used for hunting at some point. I've killed deer at nearly arms length in swamps to over 700 yards away in crop fields. Same goes for coyotes. I've painted them all using the Pat Rogers method( can be found on Lightfighter in the Stud Board) with camo netting and aervoe spray paint. I'm blessed with a myriad of good cerakote painters in my area so if I ever want something "nice" I'll take my guns to one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
Paint it! I’ve done several of mine just because I get bored. I’ve used both Krylon and Cerakote. I’m a big Formula 1 fan, and I’m kicking around the idea of painting a couple ARs, one in Redbull‘s color scheme and the other in Ferrari’s. I also did a “camo” paint job years ago with a tan base color and then I had my daughter put her handprints all over it in brown. It’s not obvious what’s going on unless you look for a minute.

In the paint it boat. Always a fun experience. You can tailor the pattern how you like and if you screw up.. do it again but better.

Just be judicious in taping off what you don't want paint on. The better the prep, the better the job.

This is the pattern I tried to paint on a stock

F75FD8F6-51F0-43F4-B6A3-9FA406E1E603.jpeg

I finally gave up and this is the stocks color after I decided solid red was good enough. Handgun sold now, probably a different color. What you can’t see is the hours and hours of glass work spent converting this right hand XP-100 stock to a left bolt Anschutz Rimfire stock.

48CAEB35-2E9E-485B-836E-C8BACEA833BD.jpeg

DIY Rattle Can Camo

Attachments

• 71012304494__8EC9910A-406E-4577-B3CC-415D155835D1.jpeg
    71012304494__8EC9910A-406E-4577-B3CC-415D155835D1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 71012628988__A5C1BFEE-40F1-4AEC-A572-441A78D4B5E5.jpeg
    71012628988__A5C1BFEE-40F1-4AEC-A572-441A78D4B5E5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg