• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade MREs. How To Do It.

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
Since my post in the topic on 'Freeze Dried Foods' I have received an overwhelming number of PMs regarding the topic of Homemade MREs. I will post this information here for all of you to see, and this will help alleviate some of the answering of PMs. Use this information and distribute it freely. This will help a lot of people out in the long run, and let me know if you have anything to add.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Making your own 'Homemade MREs'</span></span>
</span>

Making your own MREs is very simple, cost effective, and a good way to taylor the menu to your needs. This will also allow you to tweak the caloric intake for your particular requirements. If you are going to be more active you will require more calories, and so on and so forth.

First, you look over commercial MREs and get a basic guideline for each meal. More than likely the meal will go something like this: a meal entree, a sugar snack, crackers, a drink mix, a salt & pepper packet, a Peanut Butter packet, and some other small caloric snack. Now that you have your baseline, and a general idea of what you are looking for you go to Wal-Mart and/or Sam's Club / Costco.

Then, you find items like Tuna Salad kit, Chicken Salad kit, Uncle Ben's Ready Made Rice, etc ... you get the idea. As a note for the record, I have done extensive research on 'Great Value' brand products from Wal-Mart. Ninety-nine percent of the time they are the comparable name brand product just in a different package that says 'Great Value'. As an example, Great Value Beef Ravioli is pretty darn close to Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli. What do you want to bet they are the exact same thing?

Next, after you have laid out your plan for your Homemade MREs start buying your products. Your basic meal plan will go something like this, and you can use this as a generic guideline.

1 - Tuna Salad Kit
1 - 3 oz. package M&Ms
1 - Crystal Light "on the go" drink packet
1 - square paper towel
1 - plastic utensils
1 - cracker packet
1 - peanut butter packet
Salt / Pepper packet.

As you see there is a generic guideline for this. You can tweak it to your own liking, but be sure to include as much protein as possible. ie ... substituting peanut M&Ms for regular.

Finally, use your Foodsaver or similar vacuum sealer to seal all of the contents into a gallon freezer bag.

Any questions?

Re: Homemade MREs. How To Do It.

Been doing this for a while now.....

Any kind of just add water instant soup, raman noodles, etc, as a main entree. A breakfast meal would have a packet of instant oatmeal instead of soup...all of which could be eaten cold mixed right in the plastic bag if need be and still yield the same benefit.

Kit also includes a bottle of water which is plenty for the soup and still leave enough for a drink, a plastic utensil, a granola trail bar of some kind, a bar of chocolate, a Propel drink mix, and two high octane gummy type multi vitamins (something fruity/tasty to chew on instead of just swallowing a pill).

Vacuum sealed and weighs 24oz. average......and the cost ain't shit.

foodpack.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 - Tuna Salad Kit
1 - 3 oz. package M&Ms
1 - Crystal Light "on the go" drink packet
1 - square paper towel
1 - plastic utensils
1 - cracker packet
1 - peanut butter packet
Salt / Pepper packet.</div></div>

You forgot coffee and cigarettes, if it doen't have coffee and cigarettes it ain't rations.

Curious as to what you're using as a 'vacuum sealer'? The one we have (Foodsaver model v3460) works well but wastes well over an inch of bag per suck/seal. May not seem much, but when using the stuff by the roll, it sure wastes a heck of a lot PER BAG. Added waste.

Whereas yours, in the picture, has practically nothing for bag waste AND seems to be 'double sealed'.

A V2420 here.....yeah, it does seem like a waste of bag but I figure it's just the price of vacuum sealing something.

Trip,

Seems like me and you think a little too much the same lately.

Thanks for the tips, everyone involved!!

Sean