• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

homemade rear bag

jackh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
College Station, TX
could anyone post pics of theirs? also, has anyone ever made one out of a crown royal bag? seems like you could just fill it up and tie it off.

thanks

Re: homemade rear bag

I use a white sock filled with doll fill/poly pellets and sew it up. I put that inside a green sock and sew and shoe goo the threads to protect them. I added the 550 cord a few years later as I use it to hook inside the front of my stock pack and hold the bag so I can run with the rifle and not have to pick up the bag.

I honestly don't remember how long I have had this bag but it's about time to make another.
P1010475.jpg

P1010476.jpg

PGKBJ-DSC05039.JPG

I make these and sell them for $15 shipped. I am not a sponsor here and do not have a business, I just make a few at a time for guys that want them. They are 7"x5"x2" and weigh about 1.5-2#. Made of 1000D Cordura, and 550# paracord, filled with the poly pellet fill, so there is no water absorption. You can spray it with Scotchguard and make it pretty much waterproof ...

Mine looks a lot like Rob's, except I used a pair of blue dress socks instead.

I've had some of the professionally made ones but I haven't found one yet with the little bit of "give" that a sock provides and I find that more agreeable to me.

Airsoft BBs make good filler too.

sorry no pics, but i went to the fabric store and bought a yard of spandex. sewed two round bags. filled one with fine play sand and sewed it shut. sewed 550 cord around it. put the first bag inside the 2nd bag and sewed it shut.

result is heavy, squeezable

i got some crown bags laying around that i think i will try out. if it doesn't work well i might try some old boot socks or just order one from jamison.

i should fill it with those poly beads from the craft store right? now sand or beans etc?

Yes poly pellets are light, weather resistant and won't attract bugs or rodents.

Mine are like Jamison's except without the cord and snazzy colors. Those are nice!

Shootingbags.jpg

I took a Costco wool sock and filled it with rice and tied that sucker off. Looks like hell but works well enough.

But then again I also store my alcohol stove kit, cup, etc and various stuff like that in the Crown Royal bags, inside each of my rucks too:

013-2.jpg

lightweight rain jacket stuffed in bag:

011-1.jpg

mackay sagebrush- i love the crown bag. what did you fill it with? did you just cinch the draw sting down and tie it off? did you use shoe goo to seal it off at all?

i went to 2 local craft stores yesterday and they didn't have the polly pellets. do yall really walmart would have them?

I filled this particular one in the picture with used media from my brass tumbler. It is in three plastic bags, each tied off. I have been using this one for a few years now without any issues.

I have a smaller rear bag with poly pellets that I like as well. I actually prefer one of each. The media is closer to sand, without the weight penalty and the smaller rear poly bag I prefer for making adjustments with my support grip/hand.

I used to have a problem with bags "accidentally" walking off when shooting around others. Since I switched a Crown Royal bag, that has not been an issue.

Forgot to add that I just tied it of. No shoe goo. That way if I need to re use/ repair the bag I can untie it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i went to 2 local craft stores yesterday and they didn't have the polly pellets. do yall really walmart would have them? </div></div>

Yes, Wally World has them.
I got three bags a couple of weeks ago at my local Wally, and a buddy got two bags a couple of days ago at a Wally about 40 miles from me.
They're 5 bucks a bag.

mackay- do you mean you filled like a grocery sack with the media, then tied it off. then put that sack inside another and so on to have 3 layers of plastic around the media, then all of it goes inside the crown bag? or do you have 3 separate bags of media all stuffed inside the crown bag?

After some reloading and shooting last Sunday I went to work on a project I've been wanting to do.
I broke out the Wife's sewing machine, a stuffed Shamu, a pistol pouch that came with my range bag and an old sling that I picked up at our last Match. I cut and pieced the things together and came up with a nice bag. The key is the small poly pellets, I will search for more at a craft store. They didn't have any at my local Walley world.
On my next one, I will put a small loop in the corner to hang it from.
SScott
013.jpg

014.jpg

I bought a fake leather purse from the thrift store cut it in two and made 2 sizes of bags, filled with old corn cob brass cleaning media total cost $ 1.50 for both

I just have one bag of media. with two more bags over top of it for some extra protection, stuffed in a Crown Royal bag, tied off. Simple and has lasted getting tossed about.

I remember being that kid in 7th home economics complaining about how I'll never need to sew anything, so why learn...boy did that come back to bite me in the butt haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember being that kid in 7th home economics complaining about how I'll never need to sew anything, so why learn...boy did that come back to bite me in the butt haha </div></div>
I was a welder fabricator for a lot of years, sewing is real similar, measure, cut, and put it together.
The machine wasn't too complicated, you can see I had to get the instructions out.
I remember watching my mom sew when I was a kid, so I had a pretty good idea of what needed to be done.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmc0929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you guys getting the nylon? Local fabric store? </div></div>

I salvaged mine from the nylon facing on a pair of bird hunting pants.

i just made mine. i bought a $5 bag of poly pellets at walmart. i didn't even take the pellets out of the bag. i wrapped it in two extra plastic grocery sacks for extra protection like mackay suggested, then stuffed it in the crown bag and tied it off. its firm but has enough give for my liking. if i decide its too stiff, i can take out one of the grocery sacks to make a little more room.

2004f7o.jpg

2la3qde.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thaddeus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yall make me jealous. Especially you, Sagebrush. I cant afford Crown! </div></div>

I made one out of a green mil sock, and then put that inside a black sock. came out real neat looking, but the sock material is soft, and kind of goes out of shape too quick. I think i need thicker outer material.

I used some BBs I got at walmart

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thaddeus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yall make me jealous. Especially you, Sagebrush. I cant afford Crown! </div></div>

I do not hardly drink anymore.

But I do have a couple of Crown bags that are handy for all sorts of projects.

My bride has considered doing a Christmas tree with the bags hanging from the tree like ornaments, and a gift in each bag...

Motivational pic..
smile.gif

CrownRoyalTRG001.jpg

I think I'm going to try to make my own bag...

I have sewn before... I mend my own clothes, and I've sewn my own "gear" before. But never tried a bag.

Oh, BTW, I was "that girly boy" in elementary. Our 4th grade teacher did a "sewing" class during recess period for 2 or 3 weeks. I was the ONLY boy in the entire 4th grade that elected to skip recess and stay inside with the girls and learn to sew... It has paid off really, really well, although, it didn't really get me any brownie points with the girls... although I felt it should have... It also got me a bit of "mockery" but I had pretty thick skin even at that age so I just brushed it off...

I use an old pair of jeans that the knee has been torn out badly. Cut the leg off below the knee tear, and then do a sturdy badass stitch to close it off. My fiance is REALLY into sewing, and has a serger sewing machine wich does a beautiful job of this. I then dump some media in, then tie it off. It looks lame, but I love the feel of it. I might try something a little different though, because I am competing in the "Tough man" division of the Mammoth challenge, and don't really want to hump 5 pounds of rear bad with me everywhere I go.

A couple lbs of millet is my favorite media to have in there. It's fine and has the right give/feel to it. I find the polyfill to be too stiff and coarse.

Used mil issue green socks and old BDU legs and sleeves have worked good for me. I recommend the plastic Airsoft BBs or the smaller size beads mentioned above. Stay away from food items like rice or beans, they will cause you problems when they get wet. Sand works good too, but will slowly leak out of the socks.

I have been making round and wedge bags. After a couple competitions I think the poly pellets are the best material you can get for the bags. Its light but heavy enough to be solid. They float and are heat resistant. I just found a supplier and have bulk pellets available pm me if you are in need of pellets. Ill sell them cheaper then anywhere else. I was going to put a listing on the hide but dont have enough posts yet. DIY tactical has allot of great info on this type stuff. I make my bags with 1000d and 69 thread. Dont buy materials at a local fabric store I have found they are 2 to 4x more expensive.

Just beware if using rice or beans. If it gets wet it's ruined. My partner in sniper school pulled his rice sock out one day and wouldn't you know it was a mold bag instead.
I prefer tying as opposed to sewing since it's real easy to adjust the amount of filler in the sock/bag. A long boot sock is great because you can use the extra part after the knot to double over for more protection.

So far I have found airsoft pellets a bit too heavy. rice is not too heavy but have the moisture problem. Poly is light and a good texture for a shooting bag. I would say sand is probably the heaviest. I was also going to try 80 grit bead blast which is glass all the benefits of sand with moisture resistance.

.12 grams works out to about a 2.6 pounds. Not a good price unless you plan on shooting them.

Good price compared to all the other airsoft beads locally.

I had never heard of the poly filling everybody is using. Seems like a great deal

Look in arts and crafts store or section of stores. Also called doll fill. You can order it off the net as well. Just do a search. Best stuff i have found for rear bags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mackay Sagebrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thaddeus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yall make me jealous. Especially you, Sagebrush. I cant afford Crown! </div></div>

I do not hardly drink anymore.

But I do have a couple of Crown bags that are handy for all sorts of projects.

My bride has considered doing a Christmas tree with the bags hanging from the tree like ornaments, and a gift in each bag...

He probably can't see or hit what he's shooting at, but I'll bet a pile of doubloons to a pile of pig shit he sure as hell has a good time trying ! ! ! just sayin'
grin.gif

Motivational pic..
smile.gif

CrownRoyalTRG001.jpg
</div></div>

DFOOSKING said:
I stop over to Runnings and pick up some insulated socks and microwavable popcorn in 2 pound bags. $15 makes 3-4 good sized bags. I just tie off the ends. One sock can hold alot of corn! If one sock is left over I just stow it in the event I tear it....the insulated socks are resilient.

Just don't leave it sitting on your dash on a hot summer day!! that could be a rude awakening; not to mention trying to explain why the cab is filled with popped corn. although it could be used for a emergency ration. HE HE HA HA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stop over to Runnings and pick up some insulated socks and microwavable popcorn in 2 pound bags. $15 makes 3-4 good sized bags. I just tie off the ends. One sock can hold alot of corn! If one sock is left over I just stow it in the event I tear it....the insulated socks are resilient.

IMAG0891.jpg

</div></div>

Just don't leave it sitting on your dash on a hot summer day!! that could be a rude awakening; not to mention trying to explain why the cab is filled with popped corn. although it could be used for a emergency ration. HE HE HA HA

sorry the whole quote thing didnt work quite right

I made this bag from my 8-yr old son's digi cammie bottoms that he eventually out grew. I just cut the bottoms and made them into shorts for him to play in during the summertime and then I used the fabric from the knee down for the bag. Bought the medium from a fabric store. I find myself using the bag more effectively by standing it vertically on end.

DSC_0503-1.jpg