• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Honest scope base opinions

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
For the average weekend shooter.. Why does someone need a badger, Seekins, near or other high end scope based vs a egw or something in the 40-50 dollar range? Is it quality? Fitment? Big name? Just like to have "the best"? Enough money that you don't care?

I'm looking for a SA 700 base for a 22-250 build and I want to see what a 150 scope base does a 40 egw won't

Re: Honest scope base opinions

You dont. People buy Badger or Seekins because they want the best. Lots of people are far rougher on their gear than I am, but I have used $40 bases and never had a problem.

I just dont want to mount a $2500 optic to a $2500 rifle with the cheapest base I can find. When you buy BO or Seekins, you know you paid more, but you wont feel short changed.

Besides better materials and tolerances, another thing you'll get with a Badger, Seekins, or even Nightforce is a recoil stop.

Yes, it is definitely overkill on your 22-250 build, but I personally like overkill when I can get it . . .

I have Badger and Seekins on 2 of my rifles. Seekins base and Badger rings on a 30-06 and Badger base and Seekins rings on a 308. Those are my 2 "beat the hell out of it" guns. I hunt with them, range shoot with them and drag them through swampy hunting land. I also have a 270 and 7Mag hunting only rifles with Leupold standard dovetail rings and bases. None have given me any problems. For hard use I suggest picatinny bases and rings. I think EGW is good and won't fall apart or anything like that, but the big name more expensive stuff is just a step up.

The Seekins products I have purchased and use have come with the personal support and backing of a man who truly knows how to produce products of the finest fit, finish, and reliability that I have come across in the tactical/practical market. I know I can count on the product and the man who produces them to stand up when I need them. When trying to squeeze that last bit of accuracy possible from your rig you go to the folks who build them to exacting tolerances and who will guarantee/warranty their product to perform to the highest levels. JMHO....ymmv...

Oh, and my experiences with Badger's products mirror those with Mr. Seekins! Being able to speak with both companies via this forum is a plus too!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowtie4x4295</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an EGW and am quite happy with it.

Mike </div></div>
Same here, if I had the extra cash to spend a BO or Seekins would have been great, but for the cash I had to spend I'm very pleased with my EGW base. Just my opinion, but for the money I think the fit and finish is very good on the EGW bases and the customer service was very good as well.

If you are mounting a $100 scope to a $300 rifle use $40 rings. It really doesn't matter because the whole package sucks.

If you are mounting $2000 glass to a $1500 rifle would you really be concerned about spending $200 on rings and base?

Badger and Seekins are top of the line. Decide what your rig deserves and what your mission requires.

I have badger lows on my 700 and love them, well they dont move and thats what counts. For some reason I dont remember them being expensive, 30 or 40 bucks maybe, you have to look for the deals. hell I paid that much for my stock pouch thingy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have badger lows on my 700 and love them, well they dont move and thats what counts. For some reason I dont remember them being expensive, 30 or 40 bucks maybe, you have to look for the deals. hell I paid that much for my stock pouch thingy. </div></div>

If you got Badger that cheap you stole them they are typically $150-$200.

+1 for the Farrell bases. For a little more you can get the upgraded "FG-Force" of his mounts that have an adjustable recoil set screw. My only complaint with Farrell mounts is that they are pretty high. On most rifles they will clear a 56mm objective even when using low rings.

TPS (Tactical Precision Systems) makes some decent products as well that won't break the bank. I've used their rings for years now and have found them to be just as robust as most of the high end rings mentioned in this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides better materials and tolerances, another thing you'll get with a Badger, Seekins, or even Nightforce is a recoil stop.

Yes, it is definitely overkill on your 22-250 build, but I personally like overkill when I can get it . . . </div></div>
A big +1
for example Warnes 20moa base. Workmaship isn`t so creat.
Warnenalustapaskatyst.jpg

A wise man told me 25-30 years ago that you only cry once when you buy a quality product.

This statement has held true my whole life.

i have a Near base seekins rings and a Nightforce on my SPR... this rifle is a comp gun and i didnt want to spare expense

the 22-250, hs precision take off precision, Burris XTR rings, Falcon scope... not a bad little rifle but its not a high dollar rig. But due to the advice and experience of the hide my 22-250 with be wearing one of Mr. Seekins bases because this will one day be a semi custom build

I have put Badger rails on five of my rifles. This allows me to move optics from rifle to rifle with no change in eye-relief/cant/etc. Can use a single high-end optic on several pieces with just a few notes. The Badger rings make the interface the same each time. Used to use only Burris Signature Zee's with the inserts for the same reasons but have switched to BO and never looked back.

AG in NC