• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Honing die

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
Would like to have a Redding full length sizing die honed in the neck area
to .288 to resize 260 Rem brass without having to use the stem.
Does anyone know who can do this for me?

Had this done years ago to a 40/65 die and it worked great .Unfortunately the guy is retired now .Must be some one out there that can do it . Arnie

BTW redding makes full length dies that use bushings for the neck sizing .Might be easier and cheaper to go this route .

Bushing die might be my only option, but I know there has to be someone that does this.

You can try Forster, but I don't know if they'll do the service on another manufacturer's die. Forster charges 12.00 with their dies for the honing... I have several and they work very well.

Otherwise some of the custom die makers might do it. Or buy a new one direct from Forster and have them hone it before they send it....it would still probably be cheaper than buying a bushing die with the bushings.

Redding doesn't offer it and I really doubt Forster will do another manufacturer. Hornady also does it. However, you have to order it so that they can do it before they heat treat it. At least that was the explanation I received from them when I asked if I could send my 6.5 die in to be done.

It is a great option though. I have a Forster .308 die that they honed for me. Results in really straight ammo.

Redding doesn't offer it and I really doubt Forster will do another manufacturer. Hornady also does it. However, you have to order it so that they can do it before they heat treat it. At least that was the explanation I received from them when I asked if I could send my 6.5 die in to be done.

It is a great option though. I have a Forster .308 die that they honed for me. Results in really straight ammo.
That's what I am looking for, less run out.

A piece of fine emery cloth on a splint rod slightly smaller that the neck-sizer chucked up in a drill. You can do it your self. Work at it slowly and measure as you go.

I've done several of my own without a problem.