• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HoOdRaT. 8.3 on a 5.3. All the Methanol...

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    My 2 year long project can see the light in the tunnel...

8.3L Whipple Supercharger@15% underdrive
    5.3L LS. +.01" on the holes, stock stroke
    PRC heads
    A bunch of widgets that I made
    All the methanol...

Hunting for around 1400 with motor. A Dart LS Next and Billet crank lie in wait for the 2.0 version.

Fired it last night for the first time. This thing is going to be a riot on a 275 tire with an IRS rear end. A few little things to do before we can see how it goes.

Parteh!

1595022717669.png

1595022794421.png

If that was a real GTO, it would be awesome... :)

Wait for it...wait for it...

What's behind the drive shaft? 930 cv'd 9", or something bigger?

Chad,

Why didn't you go centrifugal? I know the old roots typically bring more low-end torque.......does the same apply to the whipple.

Or go turbo.....although plumbing and shared oil can be catastrophic.

Seems like the steady build of a centrifugal would be more useable in a traction limited small tire car.

Not shitting on anything......just asking.

Good job on the build.

Ern

View attachment 7376973

i built a mini a few years ago...
    20lbs of boost
    100 shot of Nos
    meth injection.

was making around 350 whp on a stock block.....not bad for a 1.6L
    thing was fast....and had absolutely no problem outrunning SRT8s.
    Wtf?!? Our old mini was a pos that ate plugs, burned oil and was generally a pos. Never knew you could boost it much more than 8psi without a lot of work.

• Haha
    Reactions: MtnGhost
    Wtf?!? Our old mini was a pos that ate plugs, burned oil and was generally a pos. Never knew you could boost it much more than 8psi without a lot of work.
    gen 1 or gen 2?

the Gen 2s turbos are a lot more rugged than the gen 1 supercharged models.

gen 1 or gen 2?

the Gen 2s turbos are a lot more rugged than the gen 1 supercharged models.
    Gen 2, 2009. Maybe our was just a pos. It had to have something wrong with it. I could tell it was pulling timing. Detonation on 91 but thats cause its 120* in Arizona

Chad,

Why didn't you go centrifugal? I know the old roots typically bring more low-end torque.......does the same apply to the whipple.

Seems like the steady build of a centrifugal would be more useable in a traction limited small tire car.

Good job on the build.

Ern
    Twin screw blowers are a wholeee different beast from a centrifugal or roots blower and MUCH more efficient! When twin screw blowers are allowed in a class, they typically take over. Turbos are the only thing that can compete really.. and the Turbo cars are catching up to the screw-blown cars for sure(outlaw/no rules pro mod style racing) and have already took the record for highest doorslammer trap speeds, especially the cars/engines built by the Proline Racing boys out in Marietta, but twin screw cars are still the quickest doorslammers on the planet. As I said tho the Proline built turbo cars/engines are gonna catch up;
    Highest 1/4 mi trap speed by a doorslammer is actually currently held by a Proline built turbo car... 274mph:

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: kindabitey
    My 2 year long project can see the light in the tunnel...

8.3L Whipple Supercharger@15% underdrive
    5.3L LS. +.01" on the holes, stock stroke
    PRC heads
    A bunch of widgets that I made
    All the methanol...

Hunting for around 1400 with motor. A Dart LS Next and Billet crank lie in wait for the 2.0 version.

Fired it last night for the first time. This thing is going to be a riot on a 275 tire with an IRS rear end. A few little things to do before we can see how it goes.

Parteh!

View attachment 7376794

View attachment 7376796
    Very nice. Do you post on ls1tech? I know for a fact Ive seen a GTO on there with a big Whipple. Please post some vids up and definitely keep us posted when ya hit the track! BTW just curious what state you in??
    LOL I cant imagine how scarily hard a 1400hp twin screw car would pull... talk about glued to the seat!

Last edited:
    Is that a dry sump system I see?

Should be damn quick. Get it on drag slicks and get us a video at the track. Then you can break the drivetrain and figure out how to strengthen all that up.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Very nice. Do you post on ls1tech? I know for a fact Ive seen a GTO on there with a big Whipple. Please post some vids up and definitely keep us posted when ya hit the track! BTW just curious what state you in??
    LOL I cant imagine how scarily hard a 1400hp twin screw car would pull... talk about glued to the seat!
    He is in Sturgis South Dakota.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    Chad,

Good job on the build.

Ern

Centrifugals are turbos with an identity crisis. :) Turbos? What ISN'T turbo'd at a drag strip in 2020? It's just so normal now and gets to be pretty boring watching guys incinerate tranny fluid as they bump into a set of staging lights.

I've always had blower cars. For the last 20 years or so. I just like them.

Last, Whipples are PD blowers. They are not roots. There's a big difference there.

I've done a few things here for torque management. Things I'm not quite ready to divulge as the setup is not yet vetted/tested and some of it is new. Stuff I conjured up on my own.

The car is an IRS. A Strange Engineering 3rd member on a fabbed center section with G Force 3500hp rated outlaw axles. 25.3 cert on the car. The entire rear section is one of a kind. All tubes, all fabbed. AFCO's that have been revalved, the works.

I've also played with the injection some. This engine is GROSSLY over injected to the point of being absurd. There's a reason for it and I'm pretty confident it'll work to expectation. Chambers have been softened and the quench ring is down around -.110" from the deck height. Block is hard filled. K1 crank and rods from Callies. Athena gaskets with CA625 studs from ARP.

9.2:1. I could have gone more on the CR, but there's really no reason to with alchohol and this much headroom on the blower.
    It'll just be easier this way as the motor is truly just to see what a top heavy blower will do in this setup. I made the entire blower drive from scratch. Pulleys, idler brackets, the works.

We stopped counting at 43 pieces that I made for this thing. -winters are long in S. Dakota, lol.

The car belonged to Chris Nichols. Chris was the founder and lead engineer at G Force Engineering. This car was his mule for exploring and vetting all of their track products. We became friends a few years back and he offered to sell the car last fall. The opportunity fast tracked the whole project by leaps and bounds.

It sputtered to life for the 1st time Thursday night. Just a few things left before we start testing.

Hoping for low 5's in the 8th mile and it should run low 8's in the quarter. Traction management will certainly be a real thing with this which is kind of the point with a small tire car. FWIW guys tonight were hitting 5.30's@around 135mph tonight at the track. Big tire cars were knocking down 4's.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
    He is in Sturgis South Dakota.

That's my other car. My street car is a yellow 2004 GTO with a 421 LS "7-ish" kind of format. I made the 10 rib serp drive from scratch along with some other pieces.

That engine has a 2.9L Whipple. Car is heavy at 4,400 lbs but routinely sees 6.40's in the 8th mile with good track prep and a 28x10.5 radial. My best to date is a 6.48@109mph. It 60's like a fat kid trying to run, but it rolls pretty good on top. I really want a 5.99 so soon as Whipple cuts the 3.8L loose for the LS platform I'm selling the 2.9 and ordering one.

Self tuned, its never been on a dyno.

Attachments

• SkhLozl.jpg
      SkhLozl.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 100
    • 20190609_092548.jpg
      20190609_092548.jpg
      425.3 KB · Views: 116
    Is that a dry sump system I see?

Should be damn quick. Get it on drag slicks and get us a video at the track. Then you can break the drivetrain and figure out how to strengthen all that up.

It's a wet motor with a vac pump. Dry sumping a 5.3LS is a bit silly. The 2.0 version on the Dart block will have it though. That one is gonna be a killer.

Trans is good for well over 2k and the rear end will tolerate 3500. It also has a carbon DS from PST.

This car is done right .

Glad you’re making good money with LRI, inamma but surprised since your prices are pretty cheap! My rifles wear some of your work, glad i can slightly help a fellow gear head.

It's a wet motor with a vac pump. Dry sumping a 5.3LS is a bit silly. The 2.0 version on the Dart block will have it though. That one is gonna be a killer.

Trans is good for well over 2k and the rear end will tolerate 3500. It also has a carbon DS from PST.

This car is done right .
    What displacement you planning on for the LSNext block? And will you be staying with the big Whipple on it as well?
    We need some vids of this beast sir. Congrats on a sweet ride!!

What displacement you planning on for the LSNext block? And will you be staying with the big Whipple on it as well?
    We need some vids of this beast sir. Congrats on a sweet ride!!

I'm thinking of an oversquare (bore bigger than stroke) 400. The crank I have for that engine is 3.625 stroke so we'd be in the 4-3/16" bore dia region. Nice because parts are then much easier to source. Since the blower makes an absurd amount of torque, no real reason to throw a long arm in it which is nice because then the crank stays put a whole lot easier. Plus, if I can avoid trying to shove pistons out the side of the block, that's free power. The only real issue becomes getting it lit and efficiency. Big holes tend to be wasteful when compared to smaller bores. Not as big a deal with elevated boost levels though so long as chambers are kept "soft" and the "squish ring" is kept loose. (like -.120" ish from the deck loose) :). This one will be a long term project and fortunately, the fuel system currently on this one will handshake over without any issues. I went stupid overkill on this engine so that I didn't have to buy a bunch of stuff twice.

Glad you’re making good money with LRI, inamma but surprised since your prices are pretty cheap! My rifles wear some of your work, glad i can slightly help a fellow gear head.

My kids have been out of the house now for a good 5 years. That helps a bunch. Kalli and I lived like
    Mad Max seems more possible everyday. I wonder how many gallons per Mile that thing gets? :)

We burned around 3-1/2 gallons of fuel on Saturday getting the starting and idling portion of the tune sorted out. That was roughly 10m worth of actual run time. One needs to remember where methanol burns compared to gasoline. 6.4:1 vs 14.7:1. It's roughly 230% more.

Thankfully it's cheap. A gallon of M1 is only around $2 bucks. :) What you "save" in fuel costs is more than offset by what it takes to reliably feed the engine though. This thing has a 13gpm pump and the injectors alone were almost $8,000. Nevermind the additional stuff like hoses, fittings, fuel rails, filters, etc.

Cubic dollars.... :)

My buddy running 1600ish hp in his fairmont wagon on 275s was "estimated" to run high 4's to low 5's. He has never run for time though as he runs pro-street type events with just a win light.

So your low 5 estimate on 1400hp is probably pretty close.

Reactions: LRI
    My buddy running 1600ish hp in his fairmont wagon on 275s was "estimated" to run high 4's to low 5's. He has never run for time though as he runs pro-street type events with just a win light.

So your low 5 estimate on 1400hp is probably pretty close.

The IRS rear end will likely be a bit of work to sort out. Hopefully, it plays nice with a radial tire. The car has been 8.55 before with the previous owner/power combination. He had a 440 tall deck running twin 88's on E. The car never got turned "up" only because he had wheel spin at 150+mph on the big end. I wish organizers would realize that traction compound is just as, if not more, important on the finish side of the track as it is the starting line.

The IRS rear end will likely be a bit of work to sort out. Hopefully, it plays nice with a radial tire. The car has been 8.55 before with the previous owner/power combination. He had a 440 tall deck running twin 88's on E. The car never got turned "up" only because he had wheel spin at 150+mph on the big end. I wish organizers would realize that traction compound is just as, if not more, important on the finish side of the track as it is the starting line.

my buddy had insane wheelie issues. To the point he rarely makes a clean pass. I honestly dont think he has taken the car down the track in almost 2 years. He drives it to cars and coffee or whatever occasionally, but he said its not even enjoyable to go to the track, wheelie and lose in the first round on friday...in a car he knows can run with just about anything... It's a setup issue, but he's not a setup guy, he can drive, but the small intricacies he gets lost in.

I wonder what running some mag shocks on the rear of your car would do.

Their controller box on the C7 mag ride corvette's is fantastic. Senses the launch(stationary or rolling) and softens the rear end.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    I didn't know Whipple even made a blower that big!
    They used to make one even bigger than that, a 9.8L.

Obviously this aint for street cars tho.. mainly made for Pro Mod and Top Alcohol, and I suppose boats as well
    https://www.dragracingperformanceparts.com/store/p362/980R_BIG_WHIPPLE-SCREW_BLOWER_&_14.3_Restraint.html

This is what it looks like on a car. Its a beast. Somewhat dated compared to the newer PSI C and D rotor blowers, but still capable of putting down some serious numbers..

Attachments

• whipple.png
      whipple.png
      701.6 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: wh20crazy
    Alcohol struggles to make any meaningful heat at idle. When the injectors behind the throttle body are working this thing will likely frost up the outside of the blower. :)
    Lol no I meant when you lift the heads and push water with all that power. I’ve only made half that but been there, done that, got the coolant smelling engine bay haha.

Lol no I meant when you lift the heads and push water with all that power. I’ve only made half that but been there, done that, got the coolant smelling engine bay haha.

Yeah, it's no fun when the coolant overflow bottle does its best impression of Mt Vesuvius :ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna guess that problem gets addressed with a handful of extra head bolts when the new block goes in.

I dont think he is running coolant...

Reference his other thread where he said he concreted the block...

That and I dont see a radiator in the car...

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    I dont think he is running coolant...

Reference his other thread where he said he concreted the block...

That and I dont see a radiator in the car...

It's possible to do a partial fill on the block and still run coolant.