• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hornaday GMX vs SST bullets in 308 comparison

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
i have a goodly supply of hon. factory 308 165gr ammo with the above bullets. i am wondering if anyone here has direct comparable experience with both of these on game. accuracy with my guns will be an issue. bet they will be comparable there. just wondering about actual experience with either of the horn. loads and also re federal fusion. had acceptable use this year with SST in 6.5x55. thanks.

Re: hornaday GMX vs SST bullets in 308 comparison

Not sure if this helps. I shoot 180 sst in my 300 ultra and have had great luck.
Taken 3 elk doth dead on the spot. Found bullet under hide. Ranges 236 to 660.

I've seen a few elk go DRT with 150 sst's out of short barreled 308s

Shot 2 deer this year with my 30-06 using 150gr GMX bullets and they were both dead in their tracks. One was at 50yds and the other was at 200yds. The exit hole was impressive on the one at 200yds.

My friend shoots the SST's out of his .270 and has had good luck with them.

Accuracy was better in my gun with the GMX's than it was with the SST's. I bought a box of SSTs, Interbonds, and GMX's to compare to one another and the GMX's were noticeably better.

The GMX is a lead free bullet which is a big plus in my book.

At .308 velocities I would shoot the one that is the most accurate. While the SST's are more "explosive" at the velocity they will be traveling they will hold up just fine on deer. Friends shoot the 180gr version in their .308's and a lot of moose and even a buffalo have been dropped by it.

I had awful accuracy with the GMX bullets that I tried in my 308. I couldn't get them to shoot better than about 1.5 MOA at 200, from a stock barreled Rem varmint rifle that I can get .75 or better at 200 with 165 SGKs.

Just my experience, yours may be better.

I've used the GMX .308 to take antelope. Dropped em without another step. I like the GMX and it shoots better in my rifle than TSX rounds do.