• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hornady 105 gr match bullets

kmose73

kmose73
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Greeley, CO
I've been shooting 95gr match kings in my 243 since I've got factory twist (9.125") but unfortunately I've loaded them all. The gun is still shooting well. My plan was to shoot them until the bbl is toast then either go with a tighter twist or switch to a 6.5. Now the match kings are nowhere to be seen. Thought about getting some hornady match so I can keep shooting till it's time for a rebarrel. I'm fairly confident they will stabilize since I'm at altitude. Anybody shooting these? How do they shoot? They are very inexpensive.

hornady 105 gr match bullets

I couldn't get the 105gr Hornady to stabilize in my 9 1/4 twist factory barrel . I'm at 700' altitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

Im in the denver area and i have had luck with both 105 amax's and 105 hybrids. The hybrids took some play with seating depth and you really have to speed them up to get decent results out of the 1:9. The amax's shoot similarly and have only a slightly lower bc at 30% cost. With the hornady, powder of choice was H1000, followed by h4350 then 4831sc. Don't have a chrono, so i can't confirm velocity, they did pretty well out to 550 yards. Hornady bthp available here InventoryCheap.com - Hornady 2458 6mm Bullets 105gr BTHP Match /100, and hybrids were available at mile high last time i was there. If you need any more info, i can message you more about my workup/process/actual numbers and charges

Thanks trochlea!! I have a couple boxes of hybrids but was afraid they wouldn't stabilize. Might give them a try.

I have 9 full boxes plus a partial box of the H 105 BTHP I bought from Inventory Cheap (all the same lot). My gun likes the Berger's better. You can have them at cost if you would like them.
Thanks

I couldn't get the 105gr Hornady to stabilize in my 9 1/4 twist factory barrel . I'm at 700' altitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

1+ more or less the same experience here, some days they would work others the groups would double in size.
The 105 a-max and Berger 105 vlds would still shoot fine... see my thread here.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...56-update-243-remington-sps-varmint-105s.html

I have since run into problems after 800 or so rounds down the bore, the A-max is now showing the same difficulty and I haven't tried to iron out if the load needs retuning or if I have torched the throat.

There is always the 95 Berger VLD that will work in the 9.125 twist Remington uses and while YMMV I found it to have nearly the same real world BC as the Hornady BTHP 105...

I will agree with niles though, the 95 vld's will definitely serve you right no matter what. Its nice to know there is something to fall back on just in case. G7 bc's (from applied ballistcs app from Bryan Litz) are 95 vld 0.249, 105 hybrid 0.278, 105 amax 0.252. So hybrids will be the best, amax's the cheapest, and 95 the easiest to push. If you just need a few test, If you make it down to denver, I might have a handful of each left.

I've not had good success with Hornady "match" bullets. Sierra or Barnes is the way to go.

I have gotten the 105 amaxs and the bthp to work in my factory savage out to 1050yds. I also just started loading the barnes match burners in 105 and have some nosler CC 105's to refine a little bit.

I have only had the hornadys to 1050, the rest have all been to 100yd only.

Thanks all. I picked up 3 more boxes of hybrids at mile high the other day. That will hopefully keep me going until time to rebarrel. Don't want too much inventory in case I decide on a 6.5.

I used to shoot the Hornady's 105 HPBT out of my Rem 700 243 out to 600 yards with good accuracy using R19. Had to run the velocity up there but it worked well. My friend had the exact same rifle (9.125 twist) and would not shoot any 105's. He went to the Berger 95 VLD's that shot well using IMR 4350. Hope this helps.

My opinion only! They suck, could not get them to shoot any better than 1.5moa at 100yd. 200 rounds off my barrel with nothing to even consider. I will not buy any more for sure.

Terry