• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 162 Amax..."Seasonal"?????

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Just went to order up a batch of these, and I'm getting "not available" and "seasonal"...

WTF does "seasonal" mean? This is one of their most popular bullets.

Figures, build a rifle in 7-08 JUST because of this bullet, and now it's no longer being made.

Anyone know what the deal is with these, save me a phone call to Hornady tomorrow?

Production halted until further notice. Big news a month or two ago.

Sad news. I've been rationing the 700 I have stashed since they announced the halt.

When everything gets back to normal, whatever that is, they'll make them again, must be bullets that are even more popular and they dont want to have a shortage of them.

Hopefully that won't be too long down the road. I'll be good for a while since hunting season opens soon so I won't be shooting much unless I have to check zero or the pigs get bad again.

I would wager there are more 50-60 gr .224 and 58-70 ish gr 6mm bullets sold then any one particular match bullet. I would wager there are really more popular match bullets then the 162. 168&178 .308, 105 hpbt&amax in 6mm, and 52&53&75 hpbt&amax in .224. Any one of those calibers mentioned easily outsell the 162. Don't get me wrong, it sucks for sure. This is why i would never set up a barrel for a particular bullet i usually let the barrel decide what it wants ( in my desired bc range).

It stinks that they are temporarily discontinued. I have about 1200 of them sitting on my shelf.

they pulled over 200 numbers off the reloading market. They say they are limiting change overs so a lot of numbers are only going to be produced when they feel like it... which is going to be almost never.

Thought for sure these would be lifted by now. Damn, i'll have to order some 168 or 175 Sierra's to try.

168s have a lousy BC unfit for a long range 7mm, though they do shoot nicely.

175s are awesome, but good luck finding any.