• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 178 BTHP loads?

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Looking for some 178 loads for a Surgeon/SAC build. Chambered for 168/175's similar to a GAP match chamber.

Would really like to see 2500+ from a 17.5" barrel.

Re: Hornady 178 BTHP loads?

Varget and work up from 43grns. Max is 45grns.

I've played with the 178hpbt in my Savage 10FP...

Notes:

My current load is 45.5gr Varget, 175smk, just touching lands. It runs 2650-2675fps. 46gr will leave an ejector mark most of the time.

I had to adjust my Forster Ultra-mic seater die DOWN .040" to get the 178hpbt to just touch the lands.

I ran two identical ladders with Varget and the 178. One round at 47gr left and ejector mark, the other round at 47gr did not.

Velocity at 46.5gr was 2745

My 12 round ladders, with .34gr increments, fired at 300 yards, printed "groups" less than 2".

This will be my new bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some 178 loads for a Surgeon/SAC build. Chambered for 168/175's similar to a GAP match chamber.

Would really like to see 2500+ from a 17.5" barrel. </div></div>

With a 17.5" barrel .308Win? Not likely with a safe load under hot conditions and it probably would shoot poorly to boot. 2,400fps no problem maybe 2,450fps if you're careful but not 2,500+fps. If you wanted a high velocity .308Win you probably need the other 10" of barrel you are missing.

Reactions: camocorvette

I'm getting right at 2700 in a 24" Obermeyer 1-11 with 44gr Varget. No signs of excess pressure at 45gr but 44 shoots better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some 178 loads for a Surgeon/SAC build. Chambered for 168/175's similar to a GAP match chamber.

With a 17.5" barrel .308Win? Not likely with a safe load under hot conditions and it probably would shoot poorly to boot. 2,400fps no problem maybe 2,450fps if you're careful but not 2,500+fps. If you wanted a high velocity .308Win you probably need the other 10" of barrel you are missing.
    </div></div>

I disagree even though I don't have any hard proof. Reason I disagree is 175 FGMM runs around 2535 out of my gun and McCourt loaded 175 SMK's run around 2545-2550 and both give 1/4 MOA accuracy out to 300 so far. I dont think 3 grains will slow my round down 50-100 fps, but I could be wrong.

I actually was checking hornady's website and saw they offer a FACTORY MATCH load with the new 178 BTHP that is NON-Superformance. I'm gonna order some and report back in about a week. My buddy is ordering the projectiles and were gonna load some as well with a couple of the recommended loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd reccomend Alliant's 2000 MR powder. You will get 50-100 fps faster than Varget, it's temp insensative, shoots great, and meters very well. </div></div>

Yeah, I was looking at that but noticed on some post people had some issues with 'fliers' in that the velocity would spike, granted that could have been loader error but it was stated. I will still try it though. Any recommendations on load charge for the 2000 MR?

I really want to run these becuase the Litz states the actual G1 is around .505 and the 175 SMK's actual G1 is .475

If I can run the 178's at the same speed as the 175 SMK's thats about a 5-6% increase in BC so should do better at extended ranges. I need every bit I can with that short of a barrel.

The G1 is closer to the stated .530 from my shooting. Tracked dead on using .530 from JBM.

I tried 4895 and varget. Varget worked better at distance I am currently running 44.5 varget in lapua brass fed 210. No pressure signs out of 22" barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The G1 is closer to the stated .530 from my shooting. Tracked dead on using .530 from JBM. </div></div>

Well hell yeah!

Rubicon, what velocity you getting with 44.5 grains? What kind of barrel?

I never have been able to get 4895 to shoot well. It may be hard to get the velocity you desire. I only get about 2535 fps out of a 20" barrel with 178s and 42.5 gr Reloder 15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The G1 is closer to the stated .530 from my shooting. Tracked dead on using .530 from JBM. </div></div>

Well hell yeah!

Rubicon, what velocity you getting with 44.5 grains? What kind of barrel? </div></div>

with 44.6 im getting 2580 out of 20 inch factory 700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd reccomend Alliant's 2000 MR powder. You will get 50-100 fps faster than Varget, it's temp insensative, shoots great, and meters very well. </div></div>

I've got a pound to try, and I've heard good things... I am extremely skeptical though, at least in my rifle! Varget launches the 178 from my 24" pipe @ 2745. If I could hit 2850 with a G1 of .530, that is close to 260/6.5x47/6.5CM territory.

I'm NOT calling you out - more like praying for the miracle to come true...Ive been let down by miracle powders before.

Has anyone tried AR-Comp powder? I keep seeing it come up in Alliant load data and it is usually close to Alliant 2000 speeds with ~10% less powder volume.

With the Power Pro 2000MR, what is a good charge to start load testing the 178 BTHP's. Alliant lists 47.7 grains for the 175 SMK. What powder charges are you running? I'll be doing a complete work up, just looking for a good starting point. Thanks...

John

47.7 is a stout load with a 175/178 bullet. Just start lower and work up to see what shoots best. 2745 with a 175 and 24" is pretty fast. We were running them 2750ish, one rifle higher, one rifle lower due to barrel length differences. It shoots very well.
    2000MR was specifically designed around the 175 grain and heavier bullets. It works very well, and would also be a good choice to play with a 208 A-max.

It's from Alliant's powder guide. It's a PDF file you download from Alliant or order you can order it through mail.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshooter70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's from Alliant's powder guide. It's a PDF file you download from Alliant or order you can order it through mail.

John </div></div>
    Thanks John,
    I guess i had the older version that didn't list it. I got it now and am going to give it a try. Hoping that the 178 BTHP and this powder will finaily be a solid 1k yard load in my 20" barrel .308.

If you want more performance then you are seeing with a 175 SMK, I'd go JLK. Either 175 or 180 LBT, 175s have proven to be solid performers out of several customer rifles.

Granted, JLK is more expensive bullet so I can understand why you'd want to go Hornady.

Shot the factory Match Hornady 178bthp's today.

It shot 1/2-3/4 MOA at 100 and that's ok but my gun consistently shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA. The grouping weren't as tight as I'd hoped but velocities were impressive for my barrel lenght(17.5" Brux). Velocities were a little extreme though.

10 shot string
    2586- High
    2510- Low

I don't know if it was me or the ammo today, but shooting wasn't the best. I still shot well but I wasn't impressed with the accuracy or the velocity spread. FGMM seems to be more consistent out of MY gun. I'm shooting in a competition tomorrow with the Hornady stuff so we will see how it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd reccomend Alliant's 2000 MR powder. You will get 50-100 fps faster than Varget, it's temp insensative, shoots great, and meters very well. </div></div>

I've got a pound to try, and I've heard good things... I am extremely skeptical though, at least in my rifle! Varget launches the 178 from my 24" pipe @ 2745. If I could hit 2850 with a G1 of .530, that is close to 260/6.5x47/6.5CM territory.

I'm NOT calling you out - more like praying for the miracle to come true...Ive been let down by miracle powders before. </div></div>

Ladder'd some 178hpbt with 2000mr on wednesday at 600 yards. At 50gr, took exactly the same dope as 46gr Varget @ 2745.

The 2000mr netted me no velocity gain over varget. I'm done trying miracle powders - at least this year.

Turbo 54, your sig becomes more and more evident to me the more I try. Probably just gonna get stock up on FGMM and be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo 54, your sig becomes more and more evident to me the more I try. Probably just gonna get stock up on FGMM and be done with it. </div></div>

Haha! Glad you can appreciate it. I like experimenting somewhat, but when it comes down to it, your time is better spent behind your rifle than at the reloading bench.

Cabelas recently had 7.62x51 175gr FGMM for $18/box...can't hardly load it for that!

this the AMP projecticles?

my bolt gun(24" 1/10 broughton) LOVES the AMP 178's... 43.8 of Varget = tight groups.

good luck

Pusher51,

My go-to load with Alliant 2000MR is as follows;
    2x-3x fired LC brass
    Winchester LR primers
    47.5gr 2000MR
    178AMAX, 175SMK, 180SST
    2.805" COAL

This load has yielded tiny groups with 175SMK, 178AMAx, and 180SST.

I recently found another accuracy node, at 48.7gr 2000MR. Primers were a bit flat, however, primer pockets were not loose.

I have a hard time believeing Turbo54 who says he can't re-load for less than $18/box. I also don't believe that 50gr 2000MR nets NO gain over Varget...but then, i dont know about his barrel.

My reloads cost me $8/box, and i believe with the 47.5gr load, i'm close to 2660fps from a 20" barrel. I will attempt to use my chrono and obtain velocities with both the 47.5gr and 48.7gr nodes.

2000MR will give you 50-100fps over varget at the same pressure nodes. It also meters better, burns cleaner, is temperauture insensitive, and flash suppresed.

Give it a try. I would not bother with the other powders mentioned unless you somehow cant get 2000MR to work for you.

Flyboy:

You mischaracterize what I wrote.

$18/box for ready to go quality ammo is a deal.

Any way you slice it.

Period.

Being that 178 Hornadys are 30¢ each, a 46(ish)gr charge of quality piwder bought in bulk is 13¢, and match primers are 4¢, you're looking at $9/box before you consider brass, or your time.

It's hard to put a price on brass, but it isn't free. The factory ammo comes with it, and its virgin. You may not like FC headstamp, but it works, and is even saleable afterwards.

Your time... I make $50/hour, and my free time is limited. I value my enjoyable freetime at double my wage, so $100/hour. Therefore, it actually COSTS ME MORE to load my own. Even a bum can find work for $10+/hr. Loading, from start to finish, 20 cartridges, including cleaning (supplies/equipment not free, but whatever), prep, loading, labeling etc etc will conservatively take 30 minutes. CONSERVATIVELY! So even at bum wages, thats $5 in labor. Not calling you a bum, by the way!

So for parts (not counting brass, even!) and labor we're at $14/box now...

I stand by my original statement : You can't hardly load your own ammo for $18/box.

Turbo54,

No offense taken, and no intention to mischaracterize or attack you.

if you look around, you can find bullets for far less then $0.30/rd delivered...Maybe not 178HPBT, but certainly 175SMK (I paid $0.20/rd delivered). 150FMJ is evem cheaper...$0.15-$0.20 max!

Deals on powder can be had, (ran into a gentleman at a gun show that can get me 2000MR at dealer pricing approx 60% of what are on websites)...point being with a little elbow grease, you can significantly lower your cost...it depends on how hard you wanna work for it.

However, for those without an inside track:
    you can (could?) buy 1,000 pulled 175SMK for about $0.22-$0.25 per 1,000 rds...that comes out to $4.40 - $5.00 depending on whom you buy from.

Powder can be had for $165 for 8lbs delivered. There are 7,000grains in a pound, so that works out to $0.0029 per grain. Assuming 47.5gr per load, powder cost is ~ $2.80 per box of 20.

$4.40+ $2.80 = $7.20...that is the basis of my claim of being able to reload for about $8/box.

Brass, yes, brass is difficult to quantiy...you may get 14 reloads out of one or just one reload....we'll leave it alone...however, on gunbroker, one can buy 500 completely prepped LC brass for about $100...you can save even more money if you buy 500-1,000 at a time.

I think you get my point. Yes, reloading is not inexpensive, but if one is paying $18/box for their reloads, they aint doing it right.

I hear you on free time. I value mine tremendously as well. I will not divulge my income on the internet, however, I can afford to pay waay more than $18/box for ammo and still shoot the same amount...the miser in me will not allow that however.

Please dont take this post as an attack.

I see too many people who want to try reloading, but are told that they wont save that much money, and will burn throgh time...i think its a shame. The more people that can be gotten into this hobby, the lower the price will be for everyone in the long run.

Sorry for the thread hijack...I want to pick up some 178HPBT to try as well. I refuse to buy a box of 100 at the local store for $35 however, so i'll wait and look for deals to pop out.

I shot the Factory Bthp Match (NON-Superformance) in a match today and it performed well past 300 for me, VERY WELL... but 300 and in, it didnt perform well as FGMM usually does.

Closer shots didn't "seem" to stabilize yet and had several rounds that were over MOA in a gun that shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA normally from 100-500.

Can't wait to shoot 178's from McCourt, I got a feeling those are gonna rock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some 178 loads for a Surgeon/SAC build. Chambered for 168/175's similar to a GAP match chamber.

</div></div>

Just not true, with the right twist and bore dimensions its very doable.

Finally got my McCourt loaded 178 bthp load. It shoots better then FGMM up close and at distance. It's very accurate and this will be my load from now.

Velocity on average was 2547 from my 17.5" barrel :), that's about 30fps faster then FGMM and with a higher BC bullet. I can tell you this load had NO trouble at 620 yards. I put 5 consecutive rounds on a Larue knock down that was around a 3"x5" group.

Thanks Andrew!

43 grs of varget under 178 bthp, average was 2530, out of a 10 twist krieger cut to 18.5 with a sf brake. Shot half min at 100y. No pressure whatsoever. 45.5 gr of varget took my velocities to 2650+ with a slight flat primer but didnt shoot as good.

I always love it when people claim that reloading isn't cost effective for them & then add in their hourly wage to figure in cost to reload.

I reload as a "hobby" to assist in my knowledge of ammo & another side of shooting. Do you always figure in your hourly wage when doing anything fun....? How about when cutting your lawn.....washing your clothes.....?

Do you figure in you hourly wage when you finally get to the range to go shooting....? Hell, you might as well pay someone else to minimum wage to go shoot your guns for ya.....otherwise, it's not really cost effective...

LOL!