• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 338 300 grain A-Tip

Im shooting the 285 ELD in a 1-9 and 1-9.4 w great accuracy from the 338 LM AI.
I will order up the 300 A-Tip when it comes available.
did you ever do testing on the 300 A-Tips

This is only a 100 yards but it’s through a factory 700p. But here is this old school load I put together.

Attachments

• A365A1CB-7E15-472D-89D7-A17749537EB5.jpeg
    A365A1CB-7E15-472D-89D7-A17749537EB5.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 560
did you ever do testing on the 300 A-Tips
Have not purchased any 300 A-Tips. Hopefully spring time! It’s hunting season now and our local long range closes Nov 15th. Ending up getting side tracked on my 7 Max build w 190 A-Tips 🤣

I’m shooting a-tips through a 1:8 twist 32” barrel with good results out to 2500 meters.

I’m pretty skeptical of these atips
The only consistent thing I’ve seen from hornady has been their inconsistency
Midsouth offers a 10 pack on many of their A-tips! Try them and see, then you'll know for sure and remove all doubt.

This is only a 100 yards but it’s through a factory 700p. But here is this old school load I put together.
.338 300 grain A max ? What powder

I feel like you’re confused on the topic of this thread. This is about the Hornady A tips, you also posted a picture of a group labeled 300 smk’s. If you’re looking for load data there’s a separate thread for that with a lot of good data. Otherwise feel free to contribute to 300gr A tip related content!

now for you guys commenting “they performed well”...what made them perform well? Did their BC hold true or better than advertised? Did they perform better than another bullet in your rifle? Too much vague content here! Details help eliminate questions.

What's a 7 Max?
Sherman 7 Max based off a 7 SAUM case. Running 190 A-tip w N570 at 3003 from 26 inch barrel. Couldn’t reach over 3030 fps at 45 degrees w the slow burning powder.
8544E708-FDB4-4582-9DB0-818B6DE35F94.jpeg
10D88121-2336-4327-B47D-CC92FB367BF8.jpeg

There are a few threads on the cartridge here. Go ck them out!

Finally got to send these 300 A-Tips downrange today. Turning up the boost and more testing to come.

2979 FPS @ 38 degrees w RL-33 from 338 LM AI w 30 inch, no pressure yet. 6.5 grain swing, 100-106.5 grains.

300 A-Tips are running slower than the Berger 300 OTM

I can go hotter yet but I can work w this load.

Attachments

• 1405ED59-4FF5-47C6-9CF6-0F8BAEDA2ADE.jpeg
    1405ED59-4FF5-47C6-9CF6-0F8BAEDA2ADE.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 143
I run my 338 LM AI mag fed. Loaded 300 A-Tip w RL-33 3.725 w .010 jump. Only tested this load out to 300 today. Shoots good!

Last edited:
Does anyone have load data on this with N570 in 338LM with a 26" barrel?

The VitaVuori site shows four different 300 grain projectiles. Berger, HPBT shows 85.6 maximum (start is 65.4), and Lapua, Scenar maximum is 92.4 (start is 80.1). That's a pretty wide range!

Have been searching for some info about loading the 300 Atips but didnt find much so i thought ill share my findings :)
Btw Grammar police please stay away , English is not my native language.

I did some tests with vihtavuoris N565, N568 and N570 powders.
DISCLAMER: These loads are up to Vihtavuoris published max loads for a different 300gr bullet. Start low and work up.
My coal is 3.845 inch (single feed) 0.025 jump , Hornadys coal says 3.681 Inch.
Loaded in Lapua brass with CCI magnum primers.
Rifle is a Sako TRG42 in 338 Lapua with 690mm (27inch) barrel 1:10
velocities are measured with a Labradar and the range is 100m.

Second disclaimer, im not the worlds best shooter so dont takes these groups too seriously of what this bullet can do :giggle:
Also i know 3 shot groups arnt great statistically but i feel you can still see some patterns (5 shot groups in 338 is expensive...).

Starting with the N570. Firstly the 3shot grps and 5 shot grps where shot at different days. One sunny and one cloudy so i guess thats why there is a 7m/s deferens on the same load. Also the powder was 10 years old when bought, which is vihtavouris stated max shelf life. So that might explain the horrible ES , btw thats in m/s not fps! ( take it x3 for fps). So im going to have to test this more with a newer powder. But getting N570 is like finding a unicorn..
But still i thought the grps were really good and velocities high, no pressure signs. will try more at 87,6gr ~823m/s but i guess the bad ES will open up the grps at longer ranges.

Next N565. These were all shot at the same day. powder was 2 years old. Better ES than N570 but not great ( remember its in m/s).
No pressure signs. Going to try going abit higher on charge to see if it tightens up.

Lastly N568. I was hesitant to buy this as ive read that N570 is velocity KING. But as N570 is a ghost i thought ill try it.
Got very surprised over the ES and SD. ES of 1 and even 0 makes me believe this is a very even burning powder. was made this year.
To clarify, all brass are from the same lot and sized and worked in the same way. So the different ES should only be the powders.
interesting that 89.5gr and 90gr had the same velocity (808m/s) and shot quite well. Have to check that some more.
Sadly its the slowest powder of them all and i really would like to get up to around 830m/s on this bullet. Had no pressure signs so i think ill try going up in charge a little.

Hope this information was helpful for someone !

300atip.jpg

Have been searching for some info about loading the 300 Atips but didnt find much so i thought ill share my findings :)

DISCLAMER: These loads are up to Vihtavuoris published max loads for a different 300gr bullet. Start low and work up.

Second disclaimer, im not the worlds best shooter so dont takes these groups too seriously of what this bullet can do :giggle:
Also i know 3 shot groups arnt great statistically but i feel you can still see some patterns (5 shot groups in 338 is expensive...).

Starting with the N570. Firstly the 3shot grps and 5 shot grps where shot at different days. One sunny and one cloudy so i guess thats why there is a 7m/s deferens on the same load. Also the powder was 10 years old when bought, which is vihtavouris stated max shelf life. So that might explain the horrible ES , btw thats in m/s not fps! ( take it x3 for fps). So im going to have to test this more with a newer powder. But getting N570 is like finding a unicorn..
But still i thought the grps were really good and velocities high, no pressure signs. will try more at 87,6gr ~823m/s but i guess the bad ES will open up the grps at longer ranges.

Next N565. These were all shot at the same day. powder was 2 years old. Better ES than N570 but not great ( remember its in m/s).
No pressure signs. Going to try going abit higher on charge to see if it tightens up.

Lastly N568. I was hesitant to buy this as ive read that N570 is velocity KING. But as N570 is a ghost i thought ill try it.
Got very surprised over the ES and SD. ES of 1 and even 0 makes me believe this is a very even burning powder. was made this year.
To clarify, all brass are from the same lot and sized and worked in the same way. So the different ES should only be the powders.
interesting that 89.5gr and 90gr had the same velocity (808m/s) and shot quite well. Have to check that some more.
Sadly its the slowest powder of them all and i really would like to get up to around 830m/s on this bullet. Had no pressure signs so i think ill try going up in charge a little.

View attachment 7696068
Wow, great work sir. That 90.5 load of 568 definitely deserves a second confirmation test, incredible precision and es!

btw your english and grammar is fantastic, i’ve seen worse on here from native english speakers 🤣

If you aren't the world's best shooter, then you are definitely the world's best reloader. Those ES numbers across all loads are incredible. Would love to hear your process.

If you aren't the world's best shooter, then you are definitely the world's best reloader. Those ES numbers across all loads are incredible. Would love to hear your process.
I'll 2nd that request. Even if the numbers are in m/s some of those are hard to believe.

But thanks for the work and posting the numbers.

Would be curious for more results in n568 too! In my Lapua it’s just a play/ELr rifle and load consistency is what I’m after! Would be open to trying this powder if you have good results.

Haha thanks for the praise :giggle:
But do remember that ES and SD is in m/s so you have to 3x it to get fps.
Still 3fps in general for the N568 is impressive for the powder. And a 0 ES is fantastic ( though just on a 3 shots sample)
A downside of both N570 and N568 is that they are really dirty. Looks like a wet beaver have crawled into the barrel and died :LOL:
N565 is very clean compared.
Had to dubbel check if it had recorded all shots, but looks like it tracked em all.

n568.jpg

About my reloading process, I don't think I do anything fancy or special.
But since you asked, here it is :giggle:

Brass was fired 3 times. I uniform primer pocket and flash hole.
I do NOT anneal or neckturn yet, just bought neckturning stuff but havnt gotten to it.

I resize with a redding S full length die on a forster co-ax press with shell holder adapter and redding competition shell holders to easy change the sizing.
I try to size down 0.002 inch. Checking with a sinclair comparator.

I do not use the expander ball.
Instead I use expander mandrels mixed from Sinclair and 21 century.
21 century is great as you can get them in 0.0005 values.
My goal for neck tension is to get a 0.336 (0.002 under bullet) mandrel into the neck by hand. So I adjust the bushings and mandrels until that happens, trying to work the brass as little as possible.
Think I have 364,365,366 bushings and 0.336, 0.3365 and 0.337 mandrels.

I clean the primer pocket with a k&m uniformer.
I measure the case length but I don't trim if it isn't over SAAMI spec.
If I trim I do it on a forster trimmer and chamfer with a RCBS VLD tool.

Then I clean the brass in Lyman corncob media.

For priming I use an old RCBS hand tool that's seen better days.. just bought a Frankford arsenal to replace it, but havnt tried it yet.

For powder measurement I use a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo.
I set the charge on this one and let's it dispens the charge. But I'm old fashioned so I don't trust these digital stuff so I then put the charge in my timeproven RCBS beamscale. I always trust this over the digital one and adjust the charge after it.
I feel you can see smaller changes as it doesn't round the numbers. Ofc it can also have errors.

For bullet seating I use the Forster co-ax again, but this time with forsters jaws to hold the case.
For seating die I use a forster bench rest die. Love these dies, they have good price and takes everything you throw at em. Never had a bullet that didn't fit, even extremely pointy solids. Some dies you need to change seating stems etc.

Lastly I just measure the coal with a comparator to make sure they are ~the same.
I don't adjust if they are within a few thousands.

Looking forward I will try some neck turning and are really interested In getting an AMP for annealing , but I will need to sell a kidney first to afford one :LOL:

Nice work,i follow the same reloading process,accept i do turn necks slightly.(y).sometimes neck size only with the redding bushing nk die.

went out again today to try some higher charges of the N568. The ones in the blue box.
These are getting over max load by vithavouri and case are starting to be full to little compressed with my 3.845 coal.
Sadly it seem i left the node behind so kinda waste of bullets.. :confused:
Started to think my scope had came loose until last series.
Last one.. Oh NO! Seems i need to do one more step to see whats at the end of the rainbow.. :ROFLMAO:
Didnt have any ejector marks or flat primers but might have a heavier bolt lift so guess im at max for my rifle.
ES are still quite good, the cold bore shot messed up the first one jumping to 823m/s.
N568 seems very even burning. Like 4 m/s per 0.5gr over the board.

Running out of bullets.. will try the last ones at 500m

300atip-2.jpg

Reactions: jasent
Went out and shot my last of 300gr Atips today at 500m.
Choose the most promising loads from before.
Reason grps are all over the place is that i just SWAGed the elevation.

Shooter error sure is a factor at 500m..
First series (89.7gr N568) had one real flyer.
Not sure if that was all me, had one shot at 800m/s ruining the ES.

The real surprise was the last grp (93.3gr N568).
Guess i need to validate the consistency of this when i get more bullets.
just hope it doesnt ruin my brass... is a kinda hot load. ( over vithavouris max load)

When do you call enough is enough with your load development and stop wasting barrel life? :LOL:
My goal for 300m is to consistently get shots inside about 5cm/2″, better than that is just luck for my shooting skills.
what is a reasonable grp size to aim for at 500m?

atip500m.jpg

Reactions: BCX
If this helps anyone... I'm running 300atips at 3209fps average (30" 1:9.3T) with about a 3.5sd average over about 10 different 5 round strings. The atips have not been picky to seating depth between 0.002" off to 0.020" off. I'm not a great shooter at 100y, honestly I'm better at grouping at distance than 100y and I shoot a ragged hole at 100y. The atips simply go where you point them. I use to be hesitant to shoot them because 300gr bergers were so much less expensive, but now that 300gr bergers are running over 100 per box, atips are the go to. They freaking explode on targets and leave a giant mark. So much easier to see than solids. I'll try to attach recent pictures of the 1425y target before and after my first shot with the 33xc on it. It squared it up dead center, and even with the heavy mirage that we were experiencing, the atip was easy to see where it hit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-185948_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-185948_Gallery.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20210914-190000_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-190000_Gallery.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Dogtown and BCX
Anyone given this a shot with Retumbo? Ive got about 10 lbs laying around and would really like to find a good load for this projectile? Would starting around my load for 300OTMs be a good place to start?

Half the battle is getting bullets. I'm running low on .30cal 245gr bergers and can't find any more. I ordered up a bunch of 250gr A-tips. I was curious about them so I loaded 5 with the same powder charge and BTO measurement as the 245 Bergers I am shooting. They shot 3/8" at 100 yards.

I'm waiting for some warmer weather to do some more testing and actual load development but they look to be really promising.

2979 FPS @ 38 degrees w RL-33 from 338 LM AI w 30 inch, no pressure yet. 6.5 grain swing, 100-106.5 grains.

300 A-Tips are running slower than the Berger 300 OTM

sorry I'm late to the party..
BCX - @BCX I wanted to confirm - this is with a 300 grain berger correct? holy.. that's moving for a .338
does the 338 LM AI have that much of an advantage over the 338 LM on FPS?? I was looking at 27" vs 30" and was expecting 20FPS per 1".
barrel length
What brass you using BCX?
top Tier - @TopTeerPrecision there's some info here to get you started about Retumbo. I had decent luck around 92.5 - 93(ish), but they weren't moving very fast 2800 fps (300 grain bergers), but they were accurate
338 LM

Last edited:
Yes, the improved chamber will give you another 150fps over vanilla .338, then add a longer barrel and it owns. For example, I'm running a .338LM Improved 40 with a 36" barrel, which pushes 300 OTMs at 3100fps (107gr RL33)

Reactions: BCX and babyguppy
I only use Lapua brass.
From a Bartlein 30 inch, my go to loads.
Berger 300 @ 3030 FPS
Hornady 300 A-Tip @ 3005 FPS
Warner Flatline 256 @ 3349 FPS
Hornady 285 ELD @ 3050 FPS

i running 101.1grs retumbo 300 atips 27'' bartlien 3045 3sd 5es .. constent hits at 3080 yds

Last edited:

View attachment 7696068
Great stuff. That gives me something else to look at. I am currently running Hornady 285's, Lapua 300 and 300 SMK's in my TRG. Wouldn't mind trying these A tips. Thanks for sharing.

Stefan

Starting a ladder work up today. Will test this afternoon. Im just hoping for reliability. The 300 bergers are a Bi#%!% to find these days. So a reliable, similar bc, and affordable option is what I’m hoping for.
Running em in a custom GAP 338LM w/ a 28” Bartlein barrel with 1-9.5”

Attachments

• DAFA6CD1-52A9-4A2A-AE9C-E0CDF06DDF1A.jpeg
    DAFA6CD1-52A9-4A2A-AE9C-E0CDF06DDF1A.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: BCX
Dam just seen this, that’s faster than I’m running them in a 30 inch 338 LMAI at mag length. 🤔

That’s what I’m sayin. Lol. That’s certainly a compressed load if you’re not running em single feed. And still that’s super high for a standard 338LM

Sounds like a .338SnipeTac
I take that back, 100gr of Retumbo sounds like a .338LM Improved, but I only get those velocities with a 36" barrel. I have no idea how you do that with a 27".

Last edited:
Reactions: TopTeerPrecision
I haven't broken 2750 fps in my new AI AXSR 27 inch 338 LM barrel w n570.