• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 338 LM Match 285 gr BTHP powder question

Hootiewho

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2006
SC
I have a couple boxes of the Hornady 338 LM Match 285 gr BTHP part #82306. I am looking to clone this ammo, as I already have chrono data and dope for the boxed stuff. It runs on average of 2750 fps out of my 27" AX. I pulled a couple and weighted the charge at 92.5 grains. The powder inside looks identical to Retumbo. I measured the diameter and length of several dozen sticks of this powder and it is identical to Retumbo. I have a good feeling this is Retumbo, but I am curious if any of you know for certain if the powder Hornady uses is what I suspect? I measured it against H1000 and the sticks are not close at all to H1000.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Not sure of what Hornady uses?

I use Reloader 33 96.6gn. with 285 amax(2700fps)loaded to mag length. I use H1000 90.5gn (2800fps)with the 300 berger otm, loaded long(single loading), a little hot. I live at 6400' above sea level.