• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady A-Max gone??

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I guess I've been out of the loop for a while. I've got a wonderful load worked up for the 155 Amax. It shoots MOA or better in 4 of my .308s. Has anyone that was shooting the Amax tried the 155 ELD? Thanks,
Paul

I think the Amax design went to the wayside a while ago. I used 178 Amax for a while.

ELD has since seemed to replace that line. Wether you can buy the Amax yet I don’t know

That said, measuring things like bearing surface and base to ogive on both Amax and ELDX 178 I will say the ELDX line is much more consistent.

I had differences of up to .017” in base to ogive in 1 box (100 bullets) of the Amax.

The ELDX seem to be more in line with Sierra Match King consistency. Which for the most part was .001”-.003” difference base to ogive in the box I measured

I really like the ELD design and have had great luck with the ELDX on whitetails

I guess I've been out of the loop for a while. I've got a wonderful load worked up for the 155 Amax. It shoots MOA or better in 4 of my .308s. Has anyone that was shooting the Amax tried the 155 ELD? Thanks,
Paul
Try searching locally for 168gn Zmax @libertyman777
Here in Aus there was tonnes of this projectile available (500/box) at very reasonable prices.
The Zmax is just an Amax with green tip as a part of a Hornady "zombie" promo at one stage.
168gn Zmax make brilliant handloads that work in every .308 we've tried them in.
Anyway, maybe some hiding on a shelf at a LGA near you, cheers

Reactions: libertyman777
I was thinking A-max was ended a couple of years ago. As, mentioned it seemed to be replaced with the ELDs.

AFAIK, Hornady is still making them. It's in the black line of ammo.
1636424361569.png