• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady A-MAX seating question

lhensler

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2009
Marietta, Ohio
First time using this type of bullet (secant ogive). What are you all doing with these. Have read posts that some jump them and others are kissing the lands and yet others are in the lands. Anyone know for sure what is best. I have always used Sierra matchkings and seated right off the lands for the best accuracy. So, forgive my ignorance but just wanted to try something new (to me) for a change.
Thanks in advance,
LBH

Re: Hornady A-MAX seating question

I have seated them just kissing the lands, and to about 10 thou. off. They shot well either way, this is in a rem. 700 sps v in 243.I have not shot them enough to tell about accuracy, but look like they will goup as good as a SMK.

I'm still working up loads, all have been seated .010 off lands, getting 1/2" moa. Will try fine tuneing with seating depth soon. 700 Rem 5R milspec barrel 26".

Mag length works fanito in my Remy700. I would try that first. The amax doesnt need the precise tuning like a Berger or SMK.

I am seating the 168A-max @ 2.810 COL, with 43.5g Varget in a Lapua case. More often than not it print around 1/2MOA targets at 100 & 200 yards. Farther than that I don't have somewhere to try yet.

Usually I try to come up with a load that works at magazine length, even though I often single load each shot. That way if I want to use the magazine my load will still work.

Have you notice if the bullet is compressing the varget powder? I have notice that the bullet is seating right on top of the powder if COL was around 2.815 and 44 grains of varget using LC case.

With the Sako I load for we have set the bullet to mag lentgh as you cant eject a live round if its any longer without removing the bolt
frown.gif
.... From memory its around .070 of the lands, the 168gr amax loaded with 47gr of ADI2208 (Varget) does 2720fps and .6 moa with next to no load work
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still working up loads, all have been seated .010 off lands, getting 1/2" moa. Will try fine tuneing with seating depth soon. 700 Rem 5R milspec barrel 26". </div></div>

Muleman, what is your max COAL with this bullet? I have a 5R also and was wondering how close the measurements are. Thanks.

Mag lenght also with the .30 cal 178 amax in my Rem. LTR .308. Most of the people I shot with say they will make a jump better than a SMK cause of the smooth tangent at the ogive.

I have found the Amax to be an easy round to handload.

The Amax 155 .30 Cal were the first projectiles i purchased when i started handloading.

Didnt really have any fancy equipment at the time to measure OAL... chopped the neck up lengthwise on a spent case and used it to insert projectiles into, chamber, and then slowly take out to measure OAL... worked out the damn things were too long to mag feed... so i just made them the same length as some Remington factory loads i have.

Took them down to the range and managed a group of 0.4" at 100m without any seating research!

Soon I will start to retackle this situation to see if i can get an improvement

I am load developing right now but have found that 10 thousands into lands COAL is 2.488 With 25.4 Gr’s of R15 Rem case and FGMM Primers out of my Rem 700 1-8 ROT .223 75Gr A-Max
I have found this problem with Berger’s out of my 300 WM and they recommend to seat her into lands!

*Like I said this works for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mag length works fanito in my Remy700. I would try that first. The amax doesnt need the precise tuning like a Berger or SMK. </div></div>

I have never found the SMK to require precise 'tuning'. Load em to whatever and shoot them.

The A-Max I can not say that about.

Since I want mag length rounds I do a test in multiples of .020. I'd start the first increment as long as you go in the mag at a multiple of .020 off and then go back.

You will find ONE increment that will stand out. That's been my experience at least.

Good luck!