• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady April 24, 2019 something

For that money I could buy 250 Bergers and still be a shitty shooter.
But you would not have a Hornady Red crown royal bag to "give the final buff to your beautiful new projectiles":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It looks like the box for 100 ATips is about the same size a a 500 count box of Bergers so there is that as well.

Mid South is listing a backorder price of $69.99 on these in 6.5 so not quite as bad as $1 each.

I pay 40 cents per; don’t know what the “street price” will be for the Hornadys, but MidSouth is usually pretty close to street price. No drama.

It looks like the box for 100 ATips is about the same size a a 500 count box of Bergers so there is that as well.

Where are you seeing a 500 box of bergers costing less than 100 bucks? Hell, where are you finding them or less than 150 bucks a 500 box?

Edit: misread. You said same size, not same price. Who gives a crap about packaging size? No one that shoots the coveted federal primers LOL

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
When did these release? I just now read about these in this thread.

.823 G1 on the 30 caliber 230 grainers... Good God.

Yep, going to have to test these out in the 300 Norma for damn sure... in conjunction with the nearly 1500 225g ELD-M's I have sitting here.

How is 70 cents twice as much as 62 cents ?

If the Bergers list for 62 and the Hornady is 70 how is twice as much you guys are drama queens
New math, c'mon Frank...

what bullets are you comparing

and look at the BC Difference ... you guys are not making an apples to apples comparison

These BCs are close to solid number and with the AL Tips, you are getting solid performance

If we look at the 230gr, Berger shows 62 and the Hornady is 70

What are you comparing a lame as round with a low BC to one a full measure better ?

A .56 vs .63 is a HUGE difference

I’m I going to run out and buy these the first chance? No. Am I happy to see someone finally start to look at bullets the way we look at everything else about our rifles? Yes

When did these release? I just now read about these in this thread.

.823 G1 on the 30 caliber 230 grainers... Good God.

Yep, going to have to test these out in the 300 Norma for damn sure... in conjunction with the nearly 1500 225g ELD-M's I have sitting here.
A few hrs ago

Reactions: AIAW
I really need to get my mitts on some of these.
If all they are saying holds up the benefit is truly in the consistency from bullet to bullet and the cost I'm not sweating.
I am a patient and tedious person and will weigh and measure BTO on a lot of bullets and separate them into batches.
These would basically eliminate that and save a bunch of time but I will definitely use the same process to satisfy my own curiosity.

Where are you seeing a 500 box of bergers costing less than 100 bucks? Hell, where are you finding them or less than 150 bucks a 500 box?

Edit: misread. You said same size, not same price. Who gives a crap about packaging size? No one that shoots the coveted federal primers LOL
I wasn't criticizing the packaging size, I was listing it as an added bonus feature.

Reactions: spife7980
Berger 140 Hybrid (.618 G1) vs 153 ATip (.704 G1)
About 40 cents vs 76 cents per.

Is it worth nearly twice the price for the added BC, dunno. I will certainly buy a box for the fun of it.

Reactions: ThePretzel
what bullets are you comparing

and look at the BC Difference ... you guys are not making an apples to apples comparison

These BCs are close to solid number and with the AL Tips, you are getting solid performance

If we look at the 230gr, Berger shows 62 and the Hornady is 70

What are you comparing a lame as round with a low BC to one a full measure better ?

A .56 vs .63 is a HUGE difference

I think What people are saying is the price on the smaller caliber bullets is basically double for similar results.

Example
6mm
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....t243-diameter-110-grain-a-tip-match-100-count

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....er-110-grain-hp-boat-tail-matchking-100-count

6.5mm
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....t264-diameter-135-grain-a-tip-match-100-count

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....int264-diameter-140-grain-eld-match-100-count

Reactions: Jeeper48
So the ones I'd be interested in would be the 110's, but those are $0.76 each vs the $0.35 each I pay for DTAC's or Hybrids. For the PRS game it just doesn't make sense for me. BC is super close to what the DTAC's run, so you're getting maybe 50 fps speed increase and/or a bit less recoil? Not much difference than the Sierra 110's ballistics.

If you're interested in shooting super small groups you can go with boutique benchrest bullets like Barts, Vapor trails, etc. Even those are less expensive.

Gets a bit more interesting when you talk about lower volume, longer range shooting. That 30 cal bullet is pretty compelling for an ELR option.

It'd be interesting to see something like this in a .223 variant...like something that could be stuffed in a Valkyrie. Not sure it'd be cost effective, but still, it'd be interesting to see what could be done.

My latest lot of Dtac's beat the Atip and cost 29 cents a piece and my true BC (as of yesterdays testing) is .61g1 to 1k.

I also use the 147 eld which is in spitting distance of the 135 Atip and make bulk purchases when they are on sale at a cost of .24-.26 a bullet. I doubt very much if my 1:8 is going to fully stabilize that 153.

images.jpeg

So the ones I'd be interested in would be the 110's, but those are $0.76 each vs the $0.35 each I pay for DTAC's or Hybrids. For the PRS game it just doesn't make sense for me. BC is super close to what the DTAC's run, so you're getting maybe 50 fps speed increase and/or a bit less recoil? Not much difference than the Sierra 110's ballistics.

If you're interested in shooting super small groups you can go with boutique benchrest bullets like Barts, Vapor trails, etc. Even those are less expensive.

Gets a bit more interesting when you talk about lower volume, longer range shooting. That 30 cal bullet is pretty compelling for an ELR option.

In the 30 caliber magnum category that's pretty impressive numbers for a magazine-feedable bullet (at least it appears to be magazine feedable).

ELD-M 225g @ 2975 fps: 222.8" drop, 10 MPH, 3 o'clock - 45.4" drift

A-TIP 230g @ 2975 fps: 216.0" drop, 10 MPH, 3 o'clock - 41.6" drift

Not too shabby.

Reactions: Sheldon N
so on the 6mm stuff

Got it

The 6.5 still looks better to me, the 140 hover under .6 realistically in my experience, and they don't go as fast.

The 130 competitors and 135 are not that far off price points and the speed gained by comparing the lighter bullets is worth it to me. I would not be comparing apples to apples with a 140 vs 135, we see the benefits of the 136 over say a 140 and it's real.

Reactions: lash
So much negativity. I think it’s great Hornady put forth the effort to make a “better” bullet, are they expensive? Yes. But what if all of the bullet manufacturers listened to this post and never came out with another new bullet ever again? What if they quit trying twenty years ago because shooters at the time thought what they had was good enough? I remember when Nosler partitions were very expensive and everyone bitched about the cost of them. Can you imagine if the partition was the pinnacle of hunting bullets today?
I’m glad to see H coming out with new products and I hope all of the manufacturers continue to do so as well. R&D comes at a cost.

My latest lot of Dtac's beat the Atip and cost 29 cents a piece and my true BC (as of yesterdays testing) is .61g1 to 1k.

I also use the 147 eld which is in spitting distance of the 135 Atip and make bulk purchases when they are on sale at a cost of .24-.26 a bullet. I doubt very much if my 1:8 is going to fully stabilize that 153.

View attachment 7067007
But the great thing is... the 153 does stabilize in a 1 in 8” twist

Has anyone gotten any word in the release date for the new seating stem they are producing for this bullet?

so on the 6mm stuff

Got it

The 6.5 still looks better to me, the 140 hover under .6 realistically in my experience, and they don't go as fast.

The 130 competitors and 135 are not that far off price points and the speed gained by comparing the lighter bullets is worth it to me. I would not be comparing apples to apples with a 140 vs 135, we see the benefits of the 136 over say a 140 and it's real.
Still shooting 136s after all these years. Maybe next barrel I’ll try something else, but it’ll likely be in the 130-139g range.

I wonder how they'll perform on game.

I might find out this fall

I wouldn't-- not on big game anyway. Aluminum doesn't perform the same as polymer in Gel or in animals. Coyotes or smaller with these. I'm not going to say it won't work ever, but it's more inclined to shed the tip and not expand/fragment at all than the ELDM, and especially the ELD-X.

Any added issues shooting steel (or rocks) with these? Specifically, damage to plates and fire hazard for those of us shooting on public lands?

No, not beyond the typical ranges. Also no on fire. Aluminum doesn't spark very easy. Most of the sparks usually come from the plate anyway.

so on the 6mm stuff

Got it

it is a good day to have so much choice...also look at the 6.5 123gr FL with a .639g scary! Downside - Frag signature..

I wouldn't-- not on big game anyway. Aluminum doesn't perform the same as polymer in Gel or in animals. Coyotes or smaller with these. I'm not going to say it won't work ever, but it's more inclined to shed the tip and not expand/fragment at all than the ELDM, and especially the ELD-X.

Wonder how different the aluminum tip is in these than the browning bxc aluminum tips. Probably more to do with what is under the tip but those expand well.

No, not beyond the typical ranges. Also no on fire. Aluminum doesn't spark very easy. Most of the sparks usually come from the plate anyway.

Okay. I would have been worried the kinetic energy released on impact might have resulted in the aluminum burning with the ambient oxygen.

and PS

This isn't the coolest thing they are releasing, just what they happen to have released early

I'd really like to test these with my 6.5saum.
What other goodies do we have to look forward too?

Supposedly @psinclair has been testing these, I'm curious to hear about results on game.

• Love
Reactions: bob7-08
Both 6.5 a-tips are more than double the price of 147eld cost .27 Cents .697bc

153 almost same bc .75 cent per if they really stay that price can’t afford to shoot them

I got excited when I saw the 110gr 6mm bullet, but unfortunately the price will be a little too much for me. I'll probably pick up a box or two to test with, but the main issue for me is that on a budget I can't afford to spend twice as much money on the projectiles as I have in the past. At 250 rounds per PRS match I'd be looking at ~$190-200 in bullets alone instead of ~$150 for all of the ammo - bullets, primers, and powder combined.

At the very least I want to try and measure them to see if they're as consistent as they claim, because if they are it may be worth it to use for national matches. I shoot 1-2 club matches a month, where it would seem like a waste, but if they're really that consistent and I can find an equally consistent load for them I would think long and hard about using them for the 2-3 national matches I shoot each year.

That said, I really am glad they came out with something like this. The aluminum tip should help eliminate concerns of the tip deforming in ammo boxes/magazines, and the numbers look good. In the end it will just come down to how well they shoot and if they're easy to load for (unlike the finicky 110 SMKs).

If keeping the center of gravity further back leads to better accuracy and easier loading, and the AL tip let's you do that while improving BC, thats pretty slick.