• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady April 24, 2019 something

I can only hope they finally release a 6mm bullet with a competitive BC. The reason to use the ELD-M bullets is that they're supposed to have BC's that are high for their weight and caliber, except the 108 ELD-M doesn't do that at all.

108 ELD-M's have a G7 BC of 0.267. 110 SMK's have a G7 of 0.303, 105 Hybrids are 0.273, and 105 RDF's are 0.275. Even the 103gr Vapor Trail bullet has a 0.260 G7, and the 95gr TMK isn't far behind at 0.238.

For comparison the 147 ELD-M with its BC of 0.315 is only bested by 150+ grain bullets or the 140 RDF (0.324) and 140 JLK (0.321).

131 gr ACE prototypes had more or less equivalent G7 BC of the 147 ELD M and can be pushed ~150 fps faster from same parent case. The production run of 131 gr ACE is 0.345 G7.

Less recoil, less drop, less wind.

Reactions: Redeye3
While I know that the 350 legend doesn’t tick any boxes for long range precision rifle, I really want a short brush rifle in this cartridge. Then a contender barrel for it.

My favorite deer cartridge for inside 150 yards is a 14” Contender in .357 Maximum. Since Remington let that one die too, I see the 350 Legend as a superior replacement.

I may be missing something, but how is this diff than .35 Remington, other than it being a straight walled case?

I may be missing something, but how is this diff than .35 Remington, other than it being a straight walled case?
Fits in a small frame AR.
Plus, there are states where you cannot use anything but straight walled cases to hunt deer. Crazy, yes, but that’s reality.

Perhaps they will announce the availability of 25 Creedmoor brass. I read this on another website......
There will be headstamped 25 Creedmoor brass hitting the market very soon!

Reactions: Stevo86
Fits in a small frame AR.
Plus, there are states where you cannot use anything but straight walled cases to hunt deer. Crazy, yes, but that’s reality.

Ok.... that’s pretty cool. I hope it does well. On paper it looks really similar to the .35 Remmy.... and with the added capacity of an AR, it should be a really good brush setup.

As far as the states laws go.... I’ve got nothing. Laws like that don’t make sense. Easily the dumbest thing I’ve been exposed to today.... but it’s early, and I haven’t been around my co-workers yet.

Reactions: DrainTheSwamp2017
Ok.... that’s pretty cool. I hope it does well. On paper it looks really similar to the .35 Remmy.... and with the added capacity of an AR, it should be a really good brush setup.
That’s my thought too.

As far as the states laws go.... I’ve got nothing. Laws like that don’t make sense. Easily the dumbest thing I’ve been exposed to today.... but it’s early, and I haven’t been around my co-workers yet.
Michigan is one example. Excerpt from their rules:
• A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm. Exceptions: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons below.
A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a min. case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
• A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high- compression power source.

That’s my thought too.

Michigan is one example. Excerpt from their rules:
Same here in Iowa. I don't deer hunt currently but with the new regulations allowing for 450 Bushmaster or 350 Legend, I might run out of excuses not to. 350 sounds like it might be the way to go since you're only swapping a barrel.

@lash this is how that reads in my head.

Hank Hill voice:

“So.... you can carry one bow with one arrow, and one crossbow, but no bolt. DO NOT GET CAUGHT WITH A BOLT FOR YOUR CROSSBOW.

Also, you can take a rifle. We want you to make big holes in things, so .35 cal is a minimum, but all cartridges must be in straight walled case.... we’re straight around here. None of that Gay Tiger bottle necked B.S. around here.... no sir....

Also, to keep kills humane, your cases have to be at least 1.16” long, but no longer than 1.80” long, because we want the deer to be dead, not extra dead.”

300 PRC was released with a 225gr ELD Match bullet. They also released 6 mm 90gr ELD-X and .224 88gr ELD Match bullets.

giphy.gif

I think Hornady is in the Tank with Creepy Joe Biden, waiting on his big news, not wanting too steal his press?

They are selling out to big pharma because chicken farts are causing the water tides to rise. does anybody else see the purple dragon?

Check the 4dof program on hornadys website. They have a 6mm Proto Y bullet that works out to like a .290 G7, and 30 cal Proto X 225 gr that has a ridiculous BC.

Reactions: Niles Coyote
I wonder how they'll perform on game.

I might find out this fall

Anybody else find it kinda funny that he said that “... you might even see some grease on them.”, followed by “so we’re sending you a bag. You can roll them around in there, and get excited about going to the range.”, to also be followed by “they are sexy.”

I dunno... maybe it’s the Army humor. They might need a few more vets there in the editing room to catch stuff like that.

In all seriousness, I’d be interested in those 135’s if they are priced competitively with the Berger’s.

I like it, and am interested from a pure engineering/geekiness perspective. It'll certainly be entertaining to see how these things shoot in the real world.

My personal philosophy on shooting, though, is such that I have no use for projectiles that have not been designed with some sort of consideration towards terminal performance. I certainly get jealous seeing the BCs mentioned for these projectiles (as well as some lathe-turned solid projectiles), but I just cannot bring myself to not care about terminal performance on something other than paper/steel. To me, possibly the coolest thing about long distance shooting is not the idea of simply hitting or making a hole through something, but rather in transferring a massive amount of energy to that thing.

That said, it's still great to see these sorts of advancements because it not only indicates that there are companies out there investing in developing products for the sport/activity that we all enjoy, but there also exists the possibility of technology trickle-down similar to what we see in the automotive world where many of the technologies and applications that are first pursued for competitive advantage on the race track eventually bring their benefits to the street in cars that Joe and Jane American can actually afford. Good stuff!

Reactions: 260284
Don't see the 6.5 offers being that much better than their closest ELD counterparts to justify the price difference, but the 230 gr .30 ATIP looks like a big improvement (.777 vs .823) and will go nice with the 300 PRC.