• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady concentricity tool

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
Any chance I am going to do more harm than good trying to force the concentricity on a loaded round?

Thanks!

Yes, most likely... runout comes from different sources, and bending a bullet after it has been seated in hopes of making it all straight will loosen often neck tension, and that's going to mess up accuracy... I'd just use that gauge to check runout, and keep it under .005" if you can... but don't try to straighten it. It could be a bent case neck, out of round neck... you can't fix that by pressing on the bullet. :0

Yes, most likely... runout comes from different sources, and bending a bullet after it has been seated in hopes of making it all straight will loosen often neck tension, and that's going to mess up accuracy... I'd just use that gauge to check runout, and keep it under .005" if you can... but don't try to straighten it. It could be a bent case neck, out of round neck... you can't fix that by pressing on the bullet. :0

So in short, you would use it to sort, not fix. Is this correct?

I wouldn't try to straighten the bullets... I think there might be some rare instances where it might be safe to try, and it might (*might*) help a tiny bit... but in the end, I think you'll be better off just working to get the runout down from the beginning of the loading process, rather than trying to fix a blunder in the finished round.

Runout doesn't affect your accuracy as much as you might think, anyway. Keep it under .007" or so and for all practical purposes you'll probably never see a difference.

I wouldn't try to straighten the bullets... I think there might be some rare instances where it might be safe to try, and it might (*might*) help a tiny bit... but in the end, I think you'll be better off just working to get the runout down from the beginning of the loading process, rather than trying to fix a blunder in the finished round.

Runout doesn't affect your accuracy as much as you might think, anyway. Keep it under .007" or so and for all practical purposes you'll probably never see a difference.

Good to know. Thanks for the input.

I don't recommend the Hornady tool for checking run out, reason why is it only does loaded rounds, I use a Sinclair concentricity gauge, it can and should be used at each step of the loading process to identify where run out is coming from, clean fired brass should have no more than .001 runout in the body/neck, that same figure should come after FL sizing, if YOU introduced more adjust your sizing technique, don't be so quick to bash your sizing die, same for seating ammo, if runout is .001 all the way thru the loading process then seated bullets have more than .002 runout adjust your technique. .002 runout or less is GTG, more than that shows up on target, if you need/want less runout I recommend Neck Turning after all other tricks fail to produce straight ammo, I know it's not fashionable to recommend turning necks here, I do it, and it's not a waste of time, but is very time consuming.

I've posted this story before but its been awhile. When I bought my Sinclair concentricity gage, I watched a youtube vid of a guy measuring large amounts of runout on several rounds, and then bending the loaded rounds by sticking them into a hole in the edge of his bench. After, he measured runout and proved that you could reduce runout. So I tried it..... Tried it with a few dozen rounds and shot the largest groups of my life. Never again.

Gages are good for seeing where in your loading process runout is being introduced. You can separate the bad ones if you like but I don't recommend trying to straighten them.

Does the VLD seating stem available from Redding help reduce runout?

The seating operation seems to be where my runout is coming from even though I use a Competition Seater.

Does the VLD seating stem available from Redding help reduce runout?

The seating operation seems to be where my runout is coming from even though I use a Competition Seater.

If the seating stem is indexing on the meplat instead of the ogive, then god knows what happens, but you should avoid that.

Edit: the seating stem may not index *directly* on the ogive, but it should be close. I checked mine and it indexes a bit further down.

Last edited:
Any chance I am going to do more harm than good trying to force the concentricity on a loaded round?

Thanks!
-
YES You can do it simple & fast with the right tool for the job without any ill affects . Does NOT FUCKUP YOUR ACCURACY like I just read above in a post, that is just silly .
H & H Concentricity Gauge . Been using it for so many years I cant remember when I bought it . but IT Works Perfect .

H&H Concentricity Gauge within AccurateShooter.com

Last edited: