• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Horrible accuracy with custom SR-25. Help!

The platform was designed with the M118LR in mind. Any gas gun I have owned with a 1:11 twist had the groups tighten up when I went from 168's to 175's.

If you are shooting from a bench...try switching to prone...easier to stay consistent.

Nice build...good luck!

Also...those American Defense mounts can be a pain in the ass to keep torqued. I will never buy another one...just personal experience. Lot's of people love them.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing Bronco... $7K in guns and Optic and he throws a cheap mount on there.....

Sexy guns still.

I ordered a box of Fiocchi 150gr FMJ as well as a box of HSM 178gr A-max just to try some different weights out. Once I get the ammo ill do some more testing.

I think you are going to find the HSM 178 AMAX to be some super accurate stuff! I was banging a 1.2 moa plate at a grand with ease from my 18 inch AR-10T a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
on my rifles i've found that torqued rings vs. adm mount is usually the difference between groups that are near 3/4MOA and groups that are more like 1.2MOA. I really think that whatever problem he is having is due to him moving around behind the rifle and not getting a consistent cheekweld, maybe pushing in anticipation of recoil etc.

OP, yor rifle looks like it's shooting 2 different groups. Do the first round and the last round hit outside the main group? I have an ar10 that stuffs OTM bullets into the barrel extension and changes the seating depth considerably, and for some reason, in terms of accuracy, it is more pronounced on the first and last round in the magazine. This leads to groups like yours. Use you charging handle to ease a round from the magazine and see if it is hanging up on the extension. My solution was using amax bullets. Did you ever try the single load suggestion? That would be my second move. Good luck

Ive got some targets from an 18" ar (I'd say SPR but I don't want to get reamed by Cobracutter for that transgression, lol) that look the same as yours. Problem was it was several things: it hated 55 and62 gr ammo, it requries 77gr. This tightened up the groups, but still felt like i had two groups, or no 0 at all depending on how you like to think of it. Hopefully you trying 175 gr will help. My NSSPR (not-so-special-purpose-rifle) also had a poor link up between suppressor and mount- try getting rid of your aac for awhile and take that out of the equation for awhile. I temporarily replaced the 2.5 x 10 NF with an ATACR and discovered that i was inducing aiming error. Finally replaced the(expensive, famous manufacturer) QD mount with a NF unimount and saw the two groups issue disappear just like Bronco, CC, and BCP said. My experience was that I had several things working against me, don't be surprised if you do too. Change one thing at a time, keep everything else consistant, and keep a written journal of your experiences to refer back to. Good luck. Been there.

Well good news. Hit the range today and really kept thinking about everyone saying how much harder it is to run the gas gun. I focused on my cheek weld and using my off hand to really grip the fore end and pull the rifle into my shoulder. Shot off of bags. At 100 yards, i'm happy to say I think I can rule me as the issue. I remounted the Leupold 1-6 for todays shooting. All groups are FGMM 168gr, 5 rounds. First group is the first one I shot at that distance. After I settled down I pulled off the second and third groups shown. There were a couple others in between that were close to the same. I think it's safe to say, I figured out the issue....me.

Don't mind the groups being high, I hadn't dialed it in at 100 yards and was just shooting for groups.

First group was 1.5"

After settling down and trying to focus on cheek weld, breathing, and holding the rifle.

.839"

Then followed up with a .916"

Last edited:
I have had several AR 10 platforms.Some of them require several hundred rounds to get everything broke in.Some AR barrels need those several hundred rounds through Them to start shooting.Just my experience.AR 10 platform rifles are an animal all their own.

I focused on my cheek weld and using my off hand to really grip the fore end and pull the rifle into my shoulder. Shot off of bags.

That online training is looking more and more relevant here. I mean that from a standpoint to help you, not criticize. Those that know me can vouch for that.

Sounds like you have a very accurate rifle, and just need a little coaching to get it grouping well, as you have already proven.

What jumped out to me is that you are holding the fore end, rather than a rear bag hold, but you can still see how much that changed things for you by applying direct rearward pressure.

If you man up on the .308 gassers, but do it with consistent rear pressure, you'll tame them down a ton.

Also make sure you apply sound trigger control, breathing control, and follow through. Not knowing your skill level, it's very difficult to provide much in assistance, other than recommend you get some formal training from someone who knows how to drive .308 gas guns.

That online training is looking more and more relevant here. I mean that from a standpoint to help you, not criticize. Those that know me can vouch for that.

Sounds like you have a very accurate rifle, and just need a little coaching to get it grouping well, as you have already proven.

What jumped out to me is that you are holding the fore end, rather than a rear bag hold, but you can still see how much that changed things for you by applying direct rearward pressure.

If you man up on the .308 gassers, but do it with consistent rear pressure, you'll tame them down a ton.

Also make sure you apply sound trigger control, breathing control, and follow through. Not knowing your skill level, it's very difficult to provide much in assistance, other than recommend you get some formal training from someone who knows how to drive .308 gas guns.

Agreed. I was just happy to see some actually decent groups. I didn't have the proper height bags for this gun so it was kind of cobbled together hence the reason I was holding the fore end. With the bags I have, a rear bag hold is what I do on my bolt gun.

Looking forward to checking out SH online training videos.

I wish I had the pictures, before and after of guys in my classes shooting gas guns.

During my last 3.5 Day I had a guy with a Sig 716, total battle rifle set up, 16", etc... and he hammered some great groups after correcting him.

Here is group with the Sig after me, (the before I don't have)
10295183_808037942553064_3323829516623539630_o.jpg

Also a student with an LMT shot this in the same class, but I will not take any credit for it, as the student took my previous class and was a well accomplished Semi Auto Shooter before.

10568790_791145770908948_6137679259097162231_n.jpg

The funny part about the group above, this student was single loading every shot. With his suppressor on the gun was not running correctly so he put 1 round in the mag at a time and just used 5 magazines to shoot with it. This group was done with changing the mag between each shot.

Yeah Frank that's badass! Looking forward to signing up and watching the videos. :)

Im no expert at all, But did have a rifle that would shoot 3 or 4 rounds in the bull then go crazy up, down either side, Couldn't figure it out, Changed the scope mounts and life was good from then on. Don't know why but they would start moving, but they felt tight, It was a cheap fix considering?