• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HELP!!!

Re: Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HELP!!!

You can buy a complete Stevens rifle for 270 bucks new . Strip off everything but the receiver and bolt , sell off the parts and you have a replacement receiver for about 200 bucks . I wouldn't try and twist the action back as it is holding onto a lot of pressure right next to your face . This is definitely not the end of the world just a life lesson learned .

Smiths bend them back all the time.... Not the end of the world. If you wanna sell it cheap. Send me a PM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure there is a Gunsmith that would get her fixed for ya, if you don't think you can do it.
SScott </div></div>

I am sure that no gunsmith that frequents this forum, nor any that care about their reputation would go near that. If so, they are more than welcome to step in this thread and offer up. Just because you can doesn't make it good practice.

Josh

Did the action wrench you used incorporate a hole for you to run the front action screw into it? Im guessing no or this could not have possibly happened.

Dont feel too bad though, I got impatient before I got my Savage nut wrench, I wanted to chop my barrel off rethread it. So I grabbed a pipe wrench, slapped the action in the lathe with an action screw up against one of the chuck jaws, let the pipe wrench rest on the bed ways, and put a crescent on the chuck jaw and let her rip. Worked well until the pipe wrench hit the recoil lug and I didnt realize it, the pin on the lug ripped some metal off the action face where the slot is. You might be able to see it in the pics below. So I had to make a action truing fixture while I had it apart to fix the face. (pics are post truing)

If youre going to use a action vise, this homemade job worked very well for me. Just use a very hard wood....

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

If you have an Academy Sports near you they have Stevens 200 rifles in .7mm/08 on clearance for $170. That's right. The whole rifle for $170.

If you don't have one near you let me know. I can check and see if the one here still has them. If you want, I can buy and ship it to your FFL. My cost would be your cost: rifle + shipping.

Pm me if you want me to check.

I'll give you $7.00 for it. Would make a lovely paper-weight...

shit dude. That does suck. Go get a new/used one, call it cool. Good luck.

Wow, crazy pic.. I have never seen an action bent like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He he. You Savage boys are a little touchy an'tcha? 6 pages in a little over 2.5 hrs.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

6 pages???

Your computer screen must be tiny as he!!, or you must be reading this on your phone, it's only 2 pages on my computer.

I just finished reading both pages on my phone, there is only two, right?
To the OP, don't bend it back, the only thing weaker than bent steel is twice bent steel. Straightening things out is for fenders and fence posts, not precision equipment.

Hey - what is the barrel twist? Looks like you matched the receiver twist to the barrel twist. I think you are onto something here - get the bullet spun up just a tad bit sooner so that it's MORE stabilized upon exiting the barrel.

Does this twist counter act any spin drift downrange??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He he. You Savage boys are a little touchy an'tcha? 6 pages in a little over 2.5 hrs.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

6 pages???

Your computer screen must be tiny as he!!, or you must be reading this on your phone, it's only 2 pages on my computer. </div></div>

OK computer guru, hows this? 56 posts in 2.5 hrs. Or to make it even easier to understand; "it was a f_____ bunch, fast"! It was just a joke brother.

okie

Re: Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HEL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's only metal", I use to take 53' transport trailers that were rolled in the barditch and twisted like a pretzel, chain them down and twist them back the opposite way with a little extra for spring back, then repair what ever was crumpled.
Put your wrench back on it next to the trigger housing and un bend it......For real, your lugs lock in the front, at this point you can't make it any worse.
SScott </div></div>

^^^Don't do this. Period. Secondly, it really does appear that you had the action wrench back at the ejection port or rear bridge. There is NO way to twist that action unless torque is being applied aft of the ejection port. Lastly, the way you should remove the barrel nut and barrel has been listed above. Better luck with the next one. There are a couple videos on youtube that a member posted (I think Axeman) that show the proper disassembly. Sorry for the loss.

Josh </div></div>
Some of you act like little girls.
Ask yourselves what got bent??? Those two twigs of metal that hold the Back of the bolt, remember the bolt locks up in the front, and also remember Savage has a floating bolt head. If you take your time you should be able to get it straight enough to install a heavy duty steel one pice scope rail to help hold it in alignment. I am sure there is a Gunsmith that would get her fixed for ya, if you don't think you can do it.
SScott </div></div>

This might be the worst advice I have ever heard. Let's weaken the metal more and fire a high pressured cartridge down the pipe. I hope you don't value your face of life much...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be the worst advice I have ever heard. Let's weaken the metal more and fire a high pressured cartridge down the pipe. I hope you don't value your face of life much... </div></div>

Haha, that receiver bent back into shape is 100x safer than a poorly headspaced rifle, or a rewelded receiver bought used, or even a 22 with a lightened spring that messes with the bolt drag and causes an OOB ignition.

If you can get the rails to line up straight again (probably near impossible anyway), then headspace the barrel correctly, it'll be fine. <span style="color: #FF0000">Those rails do nothing to support chamber pressure.</span>

*sigh* All these homemade engineers, if you really want to discuss mechanical failure, go get the education, we need more American engineers, so many of my peers are foreign exchange immigrants, and there go the jobs...

Wow. Definitely a bummer!

Another +1 for pics of how the tools were attached. It just does not seem possible for an action wrench attached at the front of the receiver to have twisted the back-end of same... unless I'm missing something obvious here?

The photos look like there are two burnished areas, as if they might be from the action wrench --at the front of the rails and at the back of the rails.
Might just be lighting though.
And, a photo of the actual tool/receiver/barrel and nut setup could be helpful.

I dont care who you are- thats funny!

Its obvious the action wrench wasnt up in the front of the reciever. Its also obvious IF the reciever can be straightened, depends on who is trying to straighten it, it will be as accurate as it ever was.

I went to a savage forum the first time I wanted to change a savage barrel, over a decade ago. I learned its the barrel you clamp and the reciever hangs out.

My first barrel nut broke clean and easy. My last one fought tooth and nail. I had to heat the nut, use a cheater pipe and a heavy hammer.

Obviously Savage has changed how they secure the barrel nut.

The twisted action sucks but if every gunsmith was honest they could top your story.

Sorry for the bad luck. If that was a high dollar action, I'd agree to attempt some fixing. However, its not. Just buy a new action and move forward.

Really, not that big a deal!

PS: Thanks for the warning, I'm planning on rebarreling my Savage soon, and I WON'T be repeating that!

I would really recommend calling Savage and see what they say.

Some manufacturer would be very forgiving so it never hurts to try.

Brother you need to mount this thing on a nice piece of wood and hang it above your bench. It's a bitch to start over but your learning.

Just put it with any other mistakes in your box of hurtful things. Glad I saw this as I am building on a Savage/Stevens.

"Don't know my own strength!"

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e7mmrF-4rUE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e7mmrF-4rUE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

There ain't no saving that one
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmoney911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There ain't no saving that one
eek.gif
</div></div>

the redemption here is in a savage correction for Coriolis effect and counter spin drift.......it should buff out just fine, a little 100mph tape will help also...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be the worst advice I have ever heard. Let's weaken the metal more and fire a high pressured cartridge down the pipe. I hope you don't value your face of life much... </div></div>

Haha, that receiver bent back into shape is 100x safer than a poorly headspaced rifle, or a rewelded receiver bought used, or even a 22 with a lightened spring that messes with the bolt drag and causes an OOB ignition.

If you can get the rails to line up straight again (probably near impossible anyway), then headspace the barrel correctly, it'll be fine. <span style="color: #FF0000">Those rails do nothing to support chamber pressure.</span>

*sigh* All these homemade engineers, if you really want to discuss mechanical failure, go get the education, we need more American engineers, so many of my peers are foreign exchange immigrants, and there go the jobs... </div></div>

Common sense tells me that if you bend a paper clip back and forth enough times it will snap....

You start bending that action back and forth trying to get it just right... and guess what? Weak metal and high powered EXPLOSIVE cartridge may not go over so well.
I just cant agree with someone doing that without the correct knowledge, and proper equipment. This fella clearly does not know what he is doing and he doesnt sound to keen on the tools it takes to do the job.

KSwift is PROBABLY correct but I wouldn't get a good cheek weld on PROBABLY and pull the trigger...

KY-
The part that has to handle the chamber pressure is infront of the rails. The locking lug recesses up front. You can saw the rails off the action and as long as the bolt's locking lugs seat fully in the front of your reciever you are good to go.

You could make the rails out of aluminum for all chamber pressure cares.

You need to take a picture of the action with the wrench in place where you were using it.

I would hang on the wall as a reminder....

The action wrench was definitly on the wrong end of the receiver you can tell by the way it is twisted. If the wrench had been placed behind the recoil lug there is no way it could have twisted. Lefty lossy righty tighty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY-
The part that has to handle the chamber pressure is infront of the rails. The locking lug recesses up front. You can saw the rails off the action and as long as the bolt's locking lugs seat fully in the front of your reciever you are good to go.

You could make the rails out of aluminum for all chamber pressure cares. </div></div>

I'm aware of what holds what. I just don't find it safe. Get a new receiver.

I wouldn't have the receiver bent back into shape. Bad luck, but at least you'll never wonder if the action is going to blow up in your face later..

One thing I would do is look for a wrench system that locks into the front action screw, keeping the torquing action as close to the clamping point. I've used the lugway thru type mandrels to remove various actions, one thing you need is a lot of leverage to attach to the mandrel. Visualise back of mandrel machined square locates into square cutout of actual wrench which has 2 handles and a wingspan of about 6 ft. When you make the motion to remove make it a snapping action. No hammer needed. If it doesn't come off in the snap, I take a relief cut with bandsaw just ahead of action. If doesn't come off yet ,out comes the torch. If doesn't come off then then barrel is cut off and we bore the sucka out. The barrel is the light bulb.

JR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prdubi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would really recommend calling Savage and see what they say.

Some manufacturer would be very forgiving so it never hurts to try.

</div></div>

+1 to this, you might be surprised. It never hurts to ask and the marginal cost of them to provide you with a new receiver is very low. If they say no you could ask if you can exchange it with a "repair fee" for a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude buy a spiral fluted barrel for it and call it good... </div></div>

Best post yet . .. .
grin.gif

Oh that's poopy... I really don't enjoy learning like you did but... It happens. Well, re-do time huh? Better luck next time bro.

If the action wrench was installed at the front part of the receiver near the recoil lug, there would be NO twisting force to bend the action like that, that image posted showed there was force held at the rear of the action when force was applied to the barrel nut @ front . Even if the wrench action had action screw hole or not, action wrench should have been installed at front of receiver, just right behind recoil lug.
I have re-barreled 7 Savages, and never had a problem.

OP, just chalk it up as a learning experience of action wrench installed at wrong location.

savageBent2ng.png

savageBentng-1.png

Incidentally, if you can you might want to rename this thread. There is no failure of the Savage recever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Incidentally, if you can you might want to rename this thread. There is no failure of the Savage recever.</div></div>

I agree, maybe rename it "Horrible act of _________" well you know. But you really should get the Savage name out of the title because it looks like it is a Savage failure.