• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HELP!!!

Re: I Horribley FUCKED UP my Savage - NEED HELP!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there, I fixed the title for you </div></div>

COLD, just COLD!

Re: Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HEL

I am not totally clear on how this couldn't have happened removing the barrel nut but...don't feel bad, I had an action get ripped in two when a smith was truing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get the whole gun with a cheap scope from Gander Mt for less. </div></div>

Uhhh, you sure you're not talking about the Savage Edge/Axis, because that doesn't count, not the same action. I doubt you can get a Savage 10 for that, Stevens 200 sure, but not the Savage line.

I was looking at the pics a little more closely this afternoon and it looks like the op may have placed something between the rails to use as an action wrench. Look at the farside rail towards the rear and it looks damaged from say the handle of a cresent wrench. Either way there is absolutly no way this could have happened if the action wrench was against the recoil lug because there would not have been any twisting force on the rear so it had to been on the rear of the action. I love the new title by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMARINE1108</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get the whole gun with a cheap scope from Gander Mt for less. </div></div>

Uhhh, you sure you're not talking about the Savage Edge/Axis, because that doesn't count, not the same action. I doubt you can get a Savage 10 for that, Stevens 200 sure, but not the Savage line. </div></div>

Uhh, I sure am. Gander Mt sells the GBXP for $349 which is cheaper than you would pay for just the acion/trigger after shipping and ffl. It comes with the Accutrigger tool. I picked one up a month ago and put on an Obermeyer barrel and floated the stock within the first 2 days of owning it. Mine is a 110, but they had the same price on 10s (not sure what the model number is on the short actions is).

Well, this thread's startin to cool off a little so................A remmington reciever wouldn't bend near that easy!!!!!

smile.gif

okie

This post is a classic why there is some gunsmithing that requires both the correct tools and knowledge. Most gunsmiths will remove a factory barrel from and action for $35.00

Knowledge can be both painful and expensive.

Nat Lambeth

Re: Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HELP!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics of Action Wrench and how you were using it ? Can't Twist the Ass End of the Action unless it was the only thing being held.... </div></div>

COMPLETELY AGREE with Ace. We're not getting the full story here. There was clear a twisting force applied between the front and rear of the action. Can't twist it like that without some torque between the two ends of the receiver. Did you have the rear of the receiver clamped in a vice as well?

Full story or not, the OP has admitted that he messed up. I have never used an action wrench to remove a Savage barrel and didn't know anyone did. I thought all it took were the barrel vise blocks and a Savage barrel nut wrench.
I know for sure now that I will never need a Savage action wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Full story or not, the OP has admitted that he messed up. I have never used an action wrench to remove a Savage barrel and didn't know anyone did. I thought all it took were the barrel vise blocks and a Savage barrel nut wrench.
I know for sure now that I will never need a Savage action wrench. </div></div>

You're correct about barrel wrench.

2 ways of removing barrel for Savage:
1. Barrel wrench & nut wrench
OR
2. Action wrench & nut wrench

You guys can guess whatever you want . I have been in contact with the OP to help him out and get him back on track . He hasn't posted in about 3 pages and my guess is that this thread can go at least another 3 pages before it dies .

I don't have pics of the setup, as the action wrench is not actually mine, but a friend's. I most likely had the wrench placed too far back, and I will not be using one at all next time. As I've said multiple times, I've written this off as user error (I fucked up). Lesson learned, I'm moving on. At least with a Savage I can screw up and buy a replacement action all for the price of a single Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least with a Savage I can screw up and buy a replacement action all for the price of a single Remington. </div></div>

That's gotta hurt.

Or with a Remington, if you screw up, you can buy a whole new rifle all for the price of a single Remington...
laugh.gif

Like I said all along and you just blinded yourself from the truth 3 pages ago..<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have pics of the setup, as the action wrench is not actually mine, but a friend's. <span style="color: #FF0000">I most likely had the wrench placed too far back</span>, and I will not be using one at all next time. As I've said multiple times, I've written this off as user error (I fucked up). Lesson learned, I'm moving on. At least with a Savage I can screw up and buy a replacement action all for the price of a single Remington. </div></div>

The OP took responsibility pages ago. All those who keep saying "wrench in the wrong place" are beatin this dead horse to a pulp. It dosn't need to be said time and time a gain, most here will understand after stateing it one time.

To the OP, replace what you feel you need to. Thats whats brought Savages back. You can make or repair a shooter for not a lot of investment. Good luck.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">savage sucks...thats your problem..Not operator error..
wink.gif
</div></div>
+1

Torquing the barrel nut down will increase headspace. So my guess is that when a chamber is a touch too tight the guy on the wrench in the factory just cranks down on it some more. Instead of backing the nut and barrel off a bit. That's the only reason I can come up with for some barrel nuts being super tight and others being fairly easy to remove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Torquing the barrel nut down will increase headspace. </div></div>

It will decrease the headspace as the barrel will be turned in farther and closer to the bolt head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will decrease the headspace as the barrel will be turned in farther and closer to the bolt head. </div></div>

No, you are wrong. However, the amount of headspace increase will be extremely minimal.

Think about it. You thread the barrel into the action then tighten the barrel nut against the action face. The threads on the barrel nut apply an equal and opposite force against the action AND the barrel. This pulls the barrel away from the action.

Josh

It will pull it away but what most people don't realize is that the barrel will rotate with the nut (even if it is not noticeable by eye)when tightened thus giving it a tighter headspace. The only way to keep it the exact same is to tighten against a dead stop with the barrel or hold the barrel and receiver perfectly tight so nothing can move except the barrel nut. And the nut doesn't need to be overtightened to hold it from moving.

its a hard mistake but try a barnard action with pressure on the rear tang and that snapped off i saw that one yours was a cheep fix it is all experience many people have screwed up in life learn from it and move on just get another action the stevens or the gander mountain rifles are cheep pul the parts off your rifle and sell the extra bits off you will be good to go for a few hundred at most.

Sorry you had to learn this way but it happens to a lot of people with lots of actions but it is bent to far to try and fix make it into a paper weight as a reminder.

I hope you find a cheep donor rifle and action good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any ideas on where a Savage short action (action only) can be found?

Brian </div></div>

Not sure if you've found an action or not, but on savageshooters.com Jim with Northland Shooters Supply sells actions for about $300